Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

so some photos of the cassette "board" in use

The linking "board" into the rest of the layout  was made using a piece of spare ply. The Cassettes come my 016.5 layout Cwmfyddl..

1410237216_Plankslinkedin.JPG.cfc51c9551e435e0640ab6831f6570fc.JPG

notice how the "old" ply is "thinner" than the "new" ply.. more cassettes will be required!

909614303_Planksinplace.JPG.94a746e91e11d14ad938a949fbddf44c.JPG

Electrically it all worked first time..and tests have been undertaken showing a loaded coal train can fit onto the cassettes. I may add some loco length cassettes to make it easier to sort the train out without the loco.

You may also notice there is still room for a mug of coffee/cake/glass of beer/glass of wine despite me "shaping"  the end of the board..

Baz

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Barry O changed the title to Leeds London Road (was Barnbow East) now with a cassette extension!
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Is there still room for Willie to blow that crumhorn? Far more entertaining! Mind you watching you emptying some TPOs will be rather interesting too!!

Regards Shaun

Yes there is.. and I can have  a space for a mugadecaff, or a glass of beer or even some spare stock as well...

Bit worried though.. when Willie masters the Crumhorn he may move onto the shawm.. and that is very LOUD!!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Yes there is.. and I can have  a space for a mugadecaff, or a glass of beer or even some spare stock as well...

Bit worried though.. when Willie masters the Crumhorn he may move onto the shawm.. and that is very LOUD!!

Baz

Bring on the sackbuts!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Bring on the sackbuts!

Her indoors hasn't got a sackbuts..shawms, gemshorns, various crumhorns and other fairly expensive bits of wood with holes drilled in them...

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little coal train (testing some new wagons) on Leeds (London Road). Hope you like it!

But if you don't like Simon Mayo .. turn the sound off.. for some reason I can't get it to get rid of the sound(!)

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

But if you don't like Simon Mayo .. turn the sound off.. for some reason I can't get it to get rid of the sound(!)

I think there's a little button on the radio marked "Off".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, winter lockdown has prevented further site visits ... however, that's not been a total impediment to layout-building progress.

DSC01069a.jpg.c0a9f5bad3d481a3eb6a9c682554f8ea.jpg

There's one place in the trackplan where attempting to fit the standard Peco geometry just isn't possible. Here. This is the double junction entrance into the terminal station, a combination of a 3 foot(-ish) radius curve on the mainline and a more gentle curve entering the station (actually, a straight transitioning into a 6 foot(-ish) radius curve).

Before departing last time, I created this template, through the simple expedient of temporarily laying alternative plain lengths of track for each part of the crossing, with the paper anchored as shown.

Now, the following sequence of photos carries a serious health warning. Those of a nervous disposition, and especially those who build track properly, should look away now ...

DSC01070.JPG.ea170a07e2a0701c6a691abeaa618511.JPG

Secure template firmly to a piece of wood. Remove rails from two, foot long lengths of Code 75.

DSC01072.JPG.75e0bf5f599fe3b8fafe64501859f6ed.JPG

Curve to shape and cut slots where the other rails intersect. To match the alignment of the other rails and just 50% of the way through.

DSC01106.JPG.242f4eb628387883972159b961e1cb5c.JPG

Repeat for the other set of rails, this time from the bottom upwards, again 50% of the way through. These second set of cuts also requires the bottom flange of the rails to be cut away as well. Reassemble, and check for flush fit, further filing as required.

DSC01107.JPG.ec6b081ee29bfbe854c81b4c6b759b8f.JPG

Flood each of the four joints with solder, whilst holding the rails over the template to ensure correct alignment of each.

DSC01108.JPG.40f1c14f9adc8426e254ac370cbf6f89.JPG

Now the clever(?) bit. With the first sleeper soldered to keep to gauge, as well as strengthening the joint, carefully saw through the inside of each joint to create the crossing gaps.

DSC01109.JPG.b3c6905a16281a42119234a683f380a1.JPG

A flat file also comes in useful, being just about the right width for OO clearances.

DSC01110.JPG.ffd3737019a13105327317b43c80c646.JPG

Ta daa? The one of the right shows up the best.

DSC01121.JPG.c9dd21d95189ffbbb198e070e1d85b3e.JPG

Pins can be used to keep the rails in their intended alignment whilst further 'key' sleepers are soldered into position (having first had the copper cut through to keep everything electrically separated!).

DSC01123.JPG.bc3c6f99fc19a70f569bdeb6b2d302c6.JPG

At this stage, all rails are now fixed to gauge and aligned as per the template.

DSC01124.JPG.b71442792856346576f899522f07e1a7.JPG

Thereafter, it's now as per more conventional track construction.

DSC01126.JPG.c06aae481737e9e6b673a28d20ab860b.JPG

All sleepers now fixed for the central part of the crossing and van pushed through to check all is well (which it is). Check rails still to be fitted.

Well, it's my way of doing it! This is the third such plain crossing I've constructed like this over the years. To my simple mind, it's more straightforward and has the considerable advantage of ensuring alignment through the all important crossings (frogs). The other two pieces of pointwork previously constructed have certainly worked without any difficulty. But only probably suitable for OO with its coarser and more forgiving clearances. This one was the first I've made for Code 75 and was more fragile before the sleepers are added.

OK - you can come out now. I've finished...

I am impressed, that seems method I must have a go at.

I was very impressed until the Bachmann LMS van appeared, it must be the worse RTR van still on sale.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, winter lockdown has prevented further site visits ... however, that's not been a total impediment to layout-building progress.

There's one place in the trackplan where attempting to fit the standard Peco geometry just isn't possible. Here. This is the double junction entrance into the terminal station, a combination of a 3 foot(-ish) radius curve on the mainline and a more gentle curve entering the station (actually, a straight transitioning into a 6 foot(-ish) radius curve).

Before departing last time, I created this template, through the simple expedient of temporarily laying alternative plain lengths of track for each part of the crossing, with the paper anchored as shown.

Now, the following sequence of photos carries a serious health warning. Those of a nervous disposition, and especially those who build track properly, should look away now ...

Secure template firmly to a piece of wood. Remove rails from two, foot long lengths of Code 75.

Curve to shape and cut slots where the other rails intersect. To match the alignment of the other rails and just 50% of the way through.

Repeat for the other set of rails, this time from the bottom upwards, again 50% of the way through. These second set of cuts also requires the bottom flange of the rails to be cut away as well. Reassemble, and check for flush fit, further filing as required.

Flood each of the four joints with solder, whilst holding the rails over the template to ensure correct alignment of each.

Now the clever(?) bit. With the first sleeper soldered to keep to gauge, as well as strengthening the joint, carefully saw through the inside of each joint to create the crossing gaps.

A flat file also comes in useful, being just about the right width for OO clearances.

Pins can be used to keep the rails in their intended alignment whilst further 'key' sleepers are soldered into position (having first had the copper cut through to keep everything electrically separated!).

At this stage, all rails are now fixed to gauge and aligned as per the template.

All sleepers now fixed for the central part of the crossing and van pushed through to check all is well (which it is). Check rails still to be fitted.

Well, it's my way of doing it! This is the third such plain crossing I've constructed like this over the years. To my simple mind, it's more straightforward and has the considerable advantage of ensuring alignment through the all important crossings (frogs). The other two pieces of pointwork previously constructed have certainly worked without any difficulty. But only probably suitable for OO with its coarser and more forgiving clearances. This one was the first I've made for Code 75 and was more fragile before the sleepers are added.

How?...what?....gasp!....choke!...splutter!....NURSE! OH NURSE!!:telephone::help:

Regards Lez.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

That's very similar to the method Don Boreham described in "Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling" nearly 60 years ago.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Great looking crossing that Red Leader! Will look really nice when fitted onto the layout. In my minds eye I can already see a Peak and passenger train crossing into the station through it!

Many thanks!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing new there, I did a lot of the complex inlaid track (where you will never see how it was done!) on Herculaneum Dock much like that - but I use the Dremel and a cutting disc to make the gaps, hacksaw and file are too much like hard work.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's very similar to the method Don Boreham described in "Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling" nearly 60 years ago.

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Nothing new there, I did a lot of the complex inlaid track (where you will never see how it was done!) on Herculaneum Dock much like that - but I use the Dremel and a cutting disc to make the gaps, hacksaw and file are too much like hard work.

Well, you can always tell a Yorkshireman ... but you can't tell 'im very much.

Indeed, there is truly nothing new under the sun. But there again, there is always someone new who hasn't heard an old joke.

I'm too poor / tight to afford a Dremel. One day, maybe ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm too poor / tight to afford a Dremel.

I don't need a Dremel. I've still got the 12V minidrill that Mike @Michael Edge recommended to me over 40 years ago. Still works a treat and does everything I need it to do.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I do have a mini-drill - had it about 40 years and use it most days. They don't make 'em like that any more. No idea of the make; the writing on the label wore off many years ago.

I have, on occasions, fitted a slitting disc on the end. Trouble is, the body of the drill is too fat so you always end up cutting at an angle. Tom brought his Dremel over when we did the mass cutting of the gaps on the new Shap fiddle yard and that was quite good, as the body was slimmer. Although we did go through several discs in that exercise ...

I've always got by without being a routine slitter (careful!). I'm sure if I'd got used to one in my formative years I'd never be without one by now. Just me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, you can always tell a Yorkshireman ... but you can't tell 'im very much.

Indeed, there is truly nothing new under the sun. But there again, there is always someone new who hasn't heard an old joke.

Who's the Yorkshireman here? Certainly not me, I just live here as an exiled part Welsh Lancastrian.

I use a rechargeable Dremel, it's an absolutely indispensable tool, not too dear on Amazon for our Yorkshire friends.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I am impressed that it was done by hand and that the rails were soldered up before adding the copperclads!

Like others I have always soldered the rails together with the sleepers in place. and then used a slitting disc in a drill to cut the flangeways.

I could not imagine attempting this process without the disc 

And I am a Yorkshireman, albeit in exile!

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Do any of the LMRS members actually admit to being from Gods Own Country then?!

Not I.

Although, having lived in both Yorkshire and Scotland, I do know the difference between their inhabitants - one lot are more generous than the other...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Although, having lived in both Yorkshire and Scotland, I do know the difference between their inhabitants - one lot are more generous than the other...

I can always remember, as a kid, my mum and dad haggling about the price of some item on a market whilst on holiday in Spain.

This was just part of the fun as far as all were concerned.

Eventually the stall holder gave in and sold it at a reduced price.

In his limited English he managed, "Scotch?"

He was put right.

" No mate. We are not so soft. We're from Yorkshire."

Ian T

• Like 3