Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

So , despite the temperature in the Loft…

How does your track cope with expansion in the heat? The loft is the intended destination for my own layout and I’m a touch worried by the variation in temperature, remembering the problems I had with layouts in my parent’s loft.

10 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

What worries me with expansion joints is how big will they be in the depths of winter.

It doesn't expand / contract THAT much. There's probably a formula somewhere; all I know is that, in approx 40 years of laying Peco track, provided a gap of some sort is left (a larger gap if laying in the cold) I've never had a problem of either track buckling (hot weather) or trains derailing (cold weather).

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It doesn't expand / contract THAT much. There's probably a formula somewhere; all I know is that, in approx 40 years of laying Peco track, provided a gap of some sort is left (a larger gap if laying in the cold) I've never had a problem of either track buckling (hot weather) or trains derailing (cold weather).

When I was planning the Mid-Cornwall Lines I worked out that a yard of rail will expand or contract by about 0.7mm over a temperature range of about 50 deg C. Based on a minimum of 0, a max of 50deg C, and a typical temperature in the garage of 25, I laid my track with a gap of 1mm at each join (originally with a spacer of 40 thou styrene but later just by eye). So far, so good.

(Source: coefficient of linear expansion for Cu 65%/Ni 18%/Zn 17% nickel-silver = 0.0000162 per kelvin, from www.repairengineering.com)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You aren’t actually watching the hundreds are you? I hate it.

If it’s any consolation I’m ballasting too, and going much slower.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2021 at 21:45, LNER4479 said:

On 25/07/2021 at 01:07, St Enodoc said:

When I was planning the Mid-Cornwall Lines I worked out that a yard of rail will expand or contract by about 0.7mm over a temperature range of about 50 deg C. Based on a minimum of 0, a max of 50deg C, and a typical temperature in the garage of 25, I laid my track with a gap of 1mm at each join (originally with a spacer of 40 thou styrene but later just by eye). So far, so good.

(Source: coefficient of linear expansion for Cu 65%/Ni 18%/Zn 17% nickel-silver = 0.0000162 per kelvin, from www.repairengineering.com)

Most of us...gap between lengths of track by accident.

Graham.... gap between lengths of track by thinking why there should be one.

Sainty....there is always a smart ar$e.

:punish:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BoD said:

You aren’t actually watching the hundreds are you? I hate it.

If it’s any consolation I’m ballasting too, and going much slower.

As the saying goes, it's not cricket.

Six weeks in high summer with no first-class County games. WTF?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As the saying goes, it's not cricket.

Six weeks in high summer with no first-class County games. WTF?

Had this argument many times "down the club".

Missed last night's "hundred" at the club because I was playing croquet.

Better stop there. 

This is a model railway forum after all!

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of county cricket.. but not necessarily what you expect. Over 50s and over 60s a d over 70s.

Yorkshire Ridings over 60s played Somerset today. I umpired, they lost..then I drove back to Leeds...

The Hundred is awful.. just need to get the t20 to speed up to what it used to be (maximum of 1 hr 10 minutes for 20 overs).. may need for the county umpires to get themselves into doing a bit more to get the game through (ie stop being lazy and slow in the field.. and learn the Laws)..

Sorry..rant over.. I only umpire at normal person level!!

Baz

Ps back to ballasting tomorrow...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Plenty of county cricket.. but not necessarily what you expect.

Yes, I was referring specifically to first-class matches.

58 minutes ago, Barry O said:

The Hundred is awful.. just need to get the t20 to speed up to what it used

Yes. There shouldn't be a need for separate comps with 100 and 120 balls per innings.

The thing that really irks me about the Hundred, though, is the new terminology that doesn't seem to have any purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The thing that really irks me about the Hundred, though, is the new terminology that doesn't seem to have any purpose.

Seems to happen in other fields too “need to be trendy”.  I fear it’s just a symptom of getting old. :-(

And Grumpy in my case!

Paul.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

More ballast has been ordered.. and another can of  track grime must be purchased..I thought I bought 2 .. as usual I can only find one..

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

More ballast has been ordered.. and another can of  track grime must be purchased..I thought I bought 2 .. as usual I can only find one..

Baz

You will find it as soon as you buy another one.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

When I used to referee rugby, I always carried two pencils. My theory was that if I broke one I could use the second.

In 20 years, I never needed the spare.

Top tips - the little brown pencils you get from IKEA were ideal.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Baz

You have your own umpiring outfit? When I worked at Marconis as an inspector I had to wear a white coat. My boss was a cricket umpire. Quite often on a Monday morning I would have to return his six stones as he had left them in the pocket of my white coat.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

You have your own umpiring outfit? When I worked at Marconis as an inspector I had to wear a white coat. My boss was a cricket umpire. Quite often on a Monday morning I would have to return his six stones as he had left them in the pocket of my white coat.

Clive yes, I have a set of white gear (red ball and pink ball cricket) and a set of blue gear ( for white ball cricket). White shoes and black shoes are also in my big cricket bag with various other items required for umpires....

Bas

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Barry O said:

Clive yes, I have a set of white gear (red ball and pink ball cricket) and a set of blue gear ( for white ball cricket). White shoes and black shoes are also in my big cricket bag with various other items required for umpires....

Bas

Various other items?  The mind positively boggles. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Bat size measure, ball measure, stump measure, spare pencils and pens, spare bowling markers, loops for holding jumpers on a warm day when you wear no coat, spare studs for boots, stud key, penknife, scissors, hand warmers, spare shirt, spare trousers, spare socks, spare glass cleaning wipes, jumpers, and.. of course.. a bottle opener!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

55 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Bat size measure, ball measure, stump measure, spare pencils and pens, spare bowling markers, loops for holding jumpers on a warm day when you wear no coat, spare studs for boots, stud key, penknife, scissors, hand warmers, spare shirt, spare trousers, spare socks, spare glass cleaning wipes, jumpers, and.. of course.. a bottle opener!

Baz

Its a good thing you're not a rocket scientist. You'd not be able to move.

• Funny 4