Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's cheating. You only tested half of it...

Ah yes but that's the important bit! Trains at speed travelling round n round on the main circuit. If the other leg doesn't work then Barry can always arrive everything into the goods yard (ha!)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

That should keep @Clive Mortimorehappy for a while.  Ex MTK kit with two replica power chassis in the Brake coaches. Came up the hill with no problemo. 

A great day!

Baz

Thank you Baz and Graham

Seeing DMUs running is always a pleasure. Normally one sees them on a branch line terminus just shuttling back and forth. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

That should keep @Clive Mortimorehappy for a while.  Ex MTK kit with two replica power chassis in the Brake coaches. Came up the hill with no problemo. 

A great day!

Baz

Mine is an MTK kit built for me by Coachbogie, a very long time ago.
It has a european powerdrive that is very tired now.
I have a replica power drive spare as well as a, hardly used Trix Trans Pennine powerdrive and chassis.
I'm tempted to fit that.
We now have a triumverate of these I've seen, mine, yours and the beast that worked on that great layout of Marsden, that Skipton MRC exhibited in the 80's.
Keep up the good work,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am a bit late to the party on this one but I have only just spotted the method of construction on this one.

Just when I thought I knew every possible way to build a copper clad point, somebody comes up with a method I haven't seen before.

I have to say that in 40 years of building such points, that way never even entered my head.

If you had just explained it to me, I would have said "no chance of that working" but the evidence is there that it clearly does.

Superb out of the box thinking!

Thanks Tony.

I made a decision pretty early on in my modelling journey that I wasn't going to routinely build track. The piece of track in question is only the third one I've built. One of the others is part of the north end track formation on Grantham.

I wouldn't claim any originality in the method, although I haven't often seen it used elsewhere. Mike Edge says he has used something similar for some of the dockyard track on Herculaneum Dock.

If there is a 'secret', I think it's in the fact that, unlike conventional track building, you're using the solder as a filler - rather than an adhesive - for the four critical crossings. Just keep flooding the solder in until all the gaps (that aren't supposed to be there) are full, then file back to suit to keep the gaps (that are supposed to be there!) clear. The fixing bit is when you attach it all to the sleepers.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of track painting completed. Cork laid and painted.. track relaid..

207439785_Tracksansballast.jpg.ff9ecc22f2061f201ea652dc6d188016.jpg

next up

764146889_Tracksansballast2.jpg.47bddf786600fcd1f406441941d3b9b2.jpg

a bit of wiring...

And  my pioint motors have finally arrived! (6 week wait for some reason called CoVid).

Baz

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

WARNING!  WORK IN PROGRESS!  HARD HATS AND HI-VIZ CLOTHING TO BE WORN!

Red Leader is track laying today.. photos of work undertaken last night and today will be along later..

Baz

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your hard work Red Leader.

Some buffer stops to fit then some wiring followed by track painting and... a fair bit of ballasting. Should keep me busy for a while...

Photos of track plus wagons later...

Baz

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Its all the hard work of Red Leader

1317686575_AveryhappyTracklayer.JPG.d9e0d8285391547ab07b963f4e7fe78b.JPG

he just loves laying track!  Great friend to have!

and tried a few wagons in the goods sidings

156197962_DeadendsinGoodsYardatBranbowEast.JPG.eaf3bd4504e6dff9492a2e868b0a07a7.JPG

I need to build and fit some coast whitemetal buffer stops beyond the end of these sidings

1125222038_sidingsatBarnbowEastfillingup.JPG.3bd2a0d4ae6e8440ba368bd4085c2a80.JPG you can easily get a train up to (and beyond ) the maximum length to fit in the "Fiddle Yard"

282275385_otherendofsidingsatBarnbowEast.JPG.1dc56c9a3737358e32ddb603974a98c6.JPG

and still have some space.

Next up .. a bit of wiring, a bit of track/sleeper painting then.. ballasting!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Barry O changed the title to Leeds London Road (was Barnbow East) now with goods yard!
  • RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Its all the hard work of Red Leader

1317686575_AveryhappyTracklayer.JPG.d9e0d8285391547ab07b963f4e7fe78b.JPG

he just loves laying track!  Great friend to have!

156197962_DeadendsinGoodsYardatBranbowEast.JPG.eaf3bd4504e6dff9492a2e868b0a07a7.JPG

I need to build and fit some coast whitemetal buffer stops beyond the end of these sidings

1125222038_sidingsatBarnbowEastfillingup.JPG.3bd2a0d4ae6e8440ba368bd4085c2a80.JPG you can easily get a train up to (and beyond ) the maximum length to fit in the "Fiddle Yard"

282275385_otherendofsidingsatBarnbowEast.JPG.1dc56c9a3737358e32ddb603974a98c6.JPG

Next up .. a bit of wiring, a bit of track/sleeper painting then.. ballasting!

Baz

Wot no LMRS brad buffer stops?

You and G are like Jack Spratt and his wife when it comes to track.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No need at the moment until I  wire it up. The wagons were hand shunted to check that the trains from the fiddle yard will fit.. they will.. easily. Some nice whitemetal buffee kits are already here waiting to be fitted. This is next weeks job asnits cricket umpiring today and cricket spectating (international T20) watching tomorrow.

Baz

• Like 3

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You mean like:

Barry O would not lay

Red Leader ballast no way

But together they smashed it

And with trains they did play

Anyway, who are you calling short, fat n ugly?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Barry O said:

you can easily get a train up to (and beyond ) the maximum length to fit in the "Fiddle Yard"

Well ... some space. Not a lot! Your new sidings support my theory that "a model freight stock collection will always expand to more than fit the siding length available" in my thesis paper I submitted to the Society of Modelling Pedants.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Barry O would not lay

Red Leader ballast no way

But together they smashed it

And with trains they did play

apart from when the cricket’s on

when one or the other 

to watch, has gone

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Well ... some space. Not a lot! Your new sidings support my theory that "a model freight stock collection will always expand to more than fit the siding length available" in my thesis paper I submitted to the Society of Modelling Pedants.

Ah, but there's still the colliery exchange sidings and branch. And then the actual goods yard by the station. Plenty more to go yet...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Ah, but there's still the colliery exchange sidings and branch. And then the actual goods yard by the station. Plenty more to go yet...

I'm sure that young Barry has a few more wagons stashed away to sneak onto those sidings as you lay them!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I'm sure that young Barry has a few more wagons stashed away to sneak onto those sidings as you lay them!

Well yes I do but a lot are in use elsewhere.. Wentworth Junction has some, Chapel en le Frith  has some, Herculaneum Dock and even Shap has some. These are generally stored in specific stock boxes.

With over 550 of them there are still plenty to fill sidings with.

I intend to have a few block trains.. oil tankers being one. Coal trains to/from the colliery, goods trains (fitted and unfitted) for remarshalling, trip workings to the loco sheds etc. Will use some more. The photos show an empty road but there are two block trains in there. Fish and iron ore.. 

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

So , despite the temperature in the Loft the sidings have been wired up and a temporary supply linked in to allow the sidings to be operated. The lines in and out of the yard going in both directions work.. although one point will not conduct electricity..

Most track has been sprayed with Railmatch Sleeper Grime.. only the goods yard to be done.. then.. let ballasting commence!

I hope to take some videos later to prove it all works.....

Baz

• Like 2