Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

and an unfitted freight with my ancient NuCast Q6 (the first loco I built with a kit built chassis. The MW005 is getting on for 50 years old.. and the wheels are Ks..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 19

• Barry O changed the title to Leeds London Road (was Barnbow East) now with stock testing videos!
  • RMweb Premium

bit more video.. short one though

A scratch built ex Great Central Railway 4-6-0 Earl Roberts of Kandahar .. has managed to get a Fruit and Banana train from the Docks in Liverpool (via Brunswick Yard) to Leeds(London Road)

@t-b-g loco courtesy of my late Father one of three ex GC 4-6-0s now used on "Herculaneum  Dock" by Mike Edge

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

bit more video.. short one though

A scratch built ex Great Central Railway 4-6-0 Earl Roberts of Kandahar .. has managed to get a Fruit and Banana train from the Docks in Liverpool (via Brunswick Yard) to Leeds(London Road)

@t-b-g loco courtesy of my late Father one of three ex GC 4-6-0s now used on "Herculaneum  Dock" by Mike Edge

Baz

Lovely! Your Father clearly had very good taste in locos and he was a good modeller too.

Thanks for putting the video up for me (and others) to enjoy.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mick, Romford wheel nut was loose.. these are a very old set of Romfords. It had a mitsumi motor and high level gear box fitted in lockdown 1. Looks like it can pull most trains on the layout....

Moral of the story.. check your wheelnuts!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Mick, Romford wheel nut was loose.. these are a very old set of Romfords. It had a mitsumi motor and high level gear box fitted in lockdown 1. Looks like it can pull most trains on the layout....

Moral of the story.. check your wheelnuts!

Baz

Always check your nuts.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

14 hours ago, roundhouse said:

High speed freight:D

Often looks much faster on video than in the flesh. The number of times I have had to retake video after watching it afterwards.

One thing worth mentioning is that there is a change of gradient as trains pass Barry's camera. Approaching that spot, they're climbing at something between 1-in-75 and 1-in-90, round a 180 degree curve. As they pass that spot, it levels out (highest point of the circuit). So some sort of acceleration, without adjusting the controls, is inevitable.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

One thing worth mentioning is that there is a change of gradient as trains pass Barry's camera. Approaching that spot, they're climbing at something between 1-in-75 and 1-in-90, round a 180 degree curve. As they pass that spot, it levels out (highest point of the circuit). So some sort of acceleration, without adjusting the controls, is inevitable.

I guessed there was some sort of gradient change and trying to drive and video my oneself is tricky. I recently videoed one of my layouts but couldnt have nay trains stopping at the station as I was holding the camera.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just realised that Classic FM is on the sound track to that video. I think my little camera is having major problems with focusing on moving objects... more investigation required...

Two scratchbuilt wagons in the line up on here .. anyone recognise what they are?

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Two open high sided wagons with ladders ? No idea what they are !

Yes, two ex LMS Soda Ash wagons.. and they have slight differences.

Well done!

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I  might build a few more of those. I have the Kenline strapping castings, buffers and axleboxes, some plasticard and Ratio signal ladder et voila!  I seem to remember getting a cup for one of them at our show in Leeds many moons ago. If you park them on the cattle dock siding on Chapel people refer to them as "Large coal wagons(!)"

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

I  might build a few more of those. I have the Kenline strapping castings, buffers and axleboxes, some plasticard and Ratio signal ladder et voila!  I seem to remember getting a cup for one of them at our show in Leeds many moons ago. If you park them on the cattle dock siding on Chapel people refer to them as "Large coal wagons(!)"

Baz

Any chance of a couple of 'still' pictures of the wagons please, Barry, as I'm afraid that my tablet doesn't play the videos (nor anybody else's ftm) very well so I don't tend to bother with them after the first couple.... I hear the train coming.....then see the middle portion of the train...and might just catch the end of a brake van if I'm lucky !

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

will get some tomorrow.. they can be very elusive!

And the LMS built them in two different heights for the same load.. ie Soda Ash.

They did have a trapaulin rail so I need to make new ones of those.

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 03060 said:

Any chance of a couple of 'still' pictures of the wagons please, Barry, as I'm afraid that my tablet doesn't play the videos (nor anybody else's ftm) very well so I don't tend to bother with them after the first couple.... I hear the train coming.....then see the middle portion of the train...and might just catch the end of a brake van if I'm lucky !

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Ian.

will these do?

817603633_twoexLMSSodaAshwagonsnormal.JPG.bc106c0249822b50aae5877077b6fdf6.JPG

They are different as one is an older version of the wagon (note the brake systems are different)

396499181_twoexLMSSodaAshwagonsnormalotherside.JPG.7b0ba3c52f3ba1f5dc47937dcabf6f64.JPG

503422493_twoexLMSSodaAshwagonsends.JPG.506469e87baa0bc26625b0bfe73c76e2.JPG

I need to fix the tarpaulin rail bars and refit the Tarpaulin bars.

(and then I noticed one of the two is actually... compensated!)

1011921118_UnderneatholderexLMSSodaAshwagon.JPG.4789cf77bb6219b077ff7ad23b15213a.JPG

This is the fixed chassis  ..weren't Kenline castings wonderful?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2