Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I have a lot of code 75 flexi... we are going to get the corner out of the fiddle yard "right" using some settrack before we move on.. the track layer is an expert... as I have seen on Grantham and Shap so he knows what he is doing..

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

More layout building yesterday by LNER 4479...

Sorry it is a bit blurry but Red Leader was moving quickly preparing for the "first" cut of 12mm ply wood.

post-7650-0-21187900-1540376195_thumb.jpg

Due to the layout of the room, access to the under eaves storage is required.

A nifty bit of design, mark out, check and ply cutting using the trusty jigsaw resulted in:

post-7650-0-08445200-1540376220_thumb.jpg

A double arch support for the baseboards. This goes across the doors into the eaves

post-7650-0-31121600-1540376209_thumb.jpg

and is held in place using metric 2" by 1" timber

Another support span was drawn and cut

post-7650-0-79707000-1540376233_thumb.jpg

then fastened in place. By using some cunning planning a suitable "front edge support" was cut from the same piece of ply and again fastened in place using some "2" by "1" supports.  - Notice the addition ply corner brackets and the fact that the layout supports "stand off" the radiators in the room.

post-7650-0-51552700-1540376246_thumb.jpg

and the other arch in place.

post-7650-0-94067600-1540376257_thumb.jpg

Lots more supports to add as we start to add track bases at various levels

Great work from Red Leader!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Blimey - I must have been working fast for the camera to blur like that!

As this is a home layout then we don't have to worry too much about weight so an element of brick sh.. er .. 'outside closet' engineering going on here, particularly as the section shown also has to support the weight of another layer on top of it.

I like using ply in vertical mode for supporting baseboards so most of the bracing will be in this fashion. The only reason for the 2" x 1" bracing at the back is that the whole arch is out of plywood as there is no scope for intermediate legs for extra support along that axis. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily and over engineering it a tad but I'm sure the reward will be level and true baseboards with consequent benefit for good running in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More wood ordered. Layout on hold due to numerous shows getting in the way but more space freed up in layout room so, when time permits more progress can be made.

Baz

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

All being well some progress can be made tomorrow. Spent some time at the local wood yard trying to find 25mm by 50mm wood which wasn't twisted or full of knots. Should keep us busy tomorrow 

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, having started poorly ..work then progressed apace mainly due to Red Leader..

Various cross members were cut and added..with the framwork complete the use of several sheets of 5mm softboard gave an idea of what the fiddle yard level would look like

post-7650-0-73323400-1548100071_thumb.jpg

and a first pass "track" positioning  took place

post-7650-0-33357400-1548100305_thumb.jpg

Then a piece of 9mm ply was cut to size, put on the framework and ...adjusted to fit

post-7650-0-92637200-1548099965_thumb.jpg

Of course once the baseboards were in place it needed strength testing

post-7650-0-49638500-1548100167_thumb.jpg

and then...

post-7650-0-39050400-1548100217_thumb.jpg

and eventually stage 1 was declared "finished".. so a quick check to see if a 6 coach train would fit...

post-7650-0-24314700-1548100437_thumb.jpg

and another shot of Red Leader..

post-7650-0-14654300-1548100486_thumb.jpg

Next up...

lay cork 

design control panel, make and wire up, get point motors ready (will be along the edges of the baseboards to make them easy to get to.)

Fix track including the incline to the rest of the layout

Wire up  track.

Then the rest of the Boards to make, track to be laid etc..

BUT major advances made today.. Many thanks to Red Leader!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Cunning. What method will you use to transfer the throw of the motors remotely? Will this only apply in the fiddle yard?

Wire in cuts in the cork covering the baseboard. Used it before and it works. Looks like the rest will be cobalts.

Baz

• Like 2

A good day chez Barry O. It's often the way that a few sessions where not a lot appears to happen is then rewarded by a 'surge' of progress. Even if the track isn't fixed down (yet), just having the first board in position so some track can be loosely put in place is a big motivator.

So far the plan is working out ok; looking forward to the next session already

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a good plan and a fast start :)

Yes and no.

Now that the fiddle yard boards are in place the process will speed up..but a slight delay now due to some holidays..

Baz

Moar Tri-Ang short coaches!

Look, they even come in BR maroon.

four-hornby-r468-lms-wheel-coach-all_360

Wow, those price tags bring back some memories! I spent almost 18 years working at the Leeds branch of BEATTIES, Happy Days, and when a train set WAS a train set. I remember those particular coaches were a bulk buy promotion, we couldnt move for the bl**dy things!

• RMweb Premium

no

more likely to have coaches like these

post-7650-0-08339900-1548241043_thumb.jpg

post-7650-0-17459600-1548241055_thumb.jpg

post-7650-0-80835900-1548241067_thumb.jpg

post-7650-0-83776800-1548241092_thumb.jpg

post-7650-0-64080800-1548241113_thumb.jpg

all kit/bodged ex LMS stock

of course a Trans Pennine DMU will fit as well...

and yes muggins does have a MTK kitbuilt one!

Baz

• Like 8

no

more likely to have coaches like these

attachicon.gifex LM Designed Porthole BTK Maroon (1600x444).jpg

attachicon.gifD1999 ex LMS TO number 3.JPG

attachicon.gifAirfix comet LMS CK.JPG

attachicon.gifPeriod II RKF kitchen at right end.JPG

attachicon.gifStanier Pd II TO.JPG

all kit/bodged ex LMS stock

of course a Trans Pennine DMU will fit as well...

and yes muggins does have a MTK kitbuilt one!

Baz

Very nice, Barry.

You have given me the kick up the bum to start completing some of my part done stock. We seem to have similar taste in LMS coaches!

I'm another person with an MTK Trans Pennine!!! My mate Mike, Coach Bogie, built me mine a long time ago! Everybody goes on about how bad MTK kits were, but I can't agree!

Way back before today's fantastic spread of offerings, if you wanted to model the, then, modern scene without scratchbuilding, you used MTK!

Admittedly, they were the Jameson of modern image, being a scratchbuilding aid rather than a perfect kit, but I always thought they, like Jidenco, prodded me to build better.

I really must re-motor my TP unit, she, currently, is showing her age!!!

Chris.

• Like 1