Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Just in the throws of ordering the points for Barnbow East.. the odd 68 of them required!

Next work session planned post Peterborough!

More news/photos soon!

Baz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Trackshack order placed and delivered..

Points!.JPG.f473185bab1220ab190c544ad92f8e56.JPG

Great service!

ad a bit of illumination in the fiddle yard

1818736948_LEDfitting.JPG.644f5c7379df8457aa16b634ae6fba7a.JPG

Courtesy of B&M the pack was cheap!

and with the lights on

325646218_LEDson.JPG.b837eb6846104dcbeeeda1d0142638b1.JPG

and with the "lid" down

325194311_liddownlightson.JPG.ade10e7295ac6308ef7d2f2372224876.JPG

next up.. another visit from Red Leader and more baseboard construction..

Ba

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Great service!

Blimey, that must have cost most of next week’s beer money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Great service!

and with the lights on

and with the "lid" down

Ba

Christmas has arrived both in track and lights

• Like 2

Hi Baz.  I have just caught up with your layout.   Excellent progress.  Love it.

As you worked at RO Barnbow I am sure you know of the Memorial to the Barnbow Lasses in Manston Park, Crossgates.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnbow

My layout  (Steam trains  Sovereign Street Station) is set 1914/1919 and has trains running to Barnbow.

Looking forward to further updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NorthBrit said:

Hi Baz.  I have just caught up with your layout.   Excellent progress.  Love it.

As you worked at RO Barnbow I am sure you know of the Memorial to the Barnbow Lasses in Manston Park, Crossgates.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnbow

My layout  (Steam trains  Sovereign Street Station) is set 1914/1919 and has trains running to Barnbow.

Looking forward to further updates.

And the new houses being built on the site have streets named after the "lasses".

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

Great service!

and with the lights on

and with the "lid" down

Ba

I thought you were going to use bullhead?

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I would still be waiting for the pointwork. The code 75 was expensive enough as well. So a more cost and time effective approach has been implemented 

Baz

I'd have thought that after waiting >40 years to build a layout another few months wouldn't make much difference...

Edited by St Enodoc
months not moths!
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

With the arrival of Red Leader last night, once tea had been eaten, a start was made on more bits of baseboard construction. Plans have been made and two pieces of wood were cut to length. One is fitted, the other is ready to fit today. Photos and updates later.

Baz 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Amazing how much layout building Red Leader can do..

having arrived last night he did a bit of "positioning" planning

1758642310_RedLeadersortingoutthestartposition.JPG.ba6bb833b57faad23af77aa2b19b21a7.JPG

then more measuring, sawing and drilling..

a very particular piece of "2 by1" was used by Red Leader as a master plan(!)

1907568782_Thisisveryimportant!.JPG.319c62c58949047c05459759410d200d.JPG

and a quick test laying of the station throat track

681945769_nicebitofunlaidtrack.JPG.45f162e7816e88ce02315d370b70ffd7.JPG

then a bit more cutting and fitting and .. some angles of incline checked

763693031_gleofdangle.JPG.dfd417221254fb94a9551bbff20b3453.JPG

Final incline out of the fiddle yard complete!

Then after Red Leader wended his weary way home...

392446105_testtraincravens.JPG.43c9b74b7e96b723088be4f0480643e5.JPG

A quick test train up the bank!  (DC Kits Cravens built an painted by me).. just for Clive!

Many, many thanks for all of the hard work Graham!

baz

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, a pleasant 24 hours spent at Barry-O Towers. A few more pix to illustrate what was achieved:

IMG_0004.jpg.4842412058302a1cb864e76230a6a7e5.jpg

This was the state of play at 4pm yesterday when work concluded. Basically, it was this corner, a slice of 9mm ply 4ft by 3.5ft, cut to shape and supported. The mainlines are mapped out on a 3ft radius curve, although that'll need some manipulating at the double junction - even with the web-cutting to manipulate the Peco pointwork, I doubt that I can induce a 3ft radius curve into a long crossing.

IMG_0005.jpg.a770d409f02ee649a3990f334557acd5.jpg

This pic probably puts it into context more. The key aspect here was to engineer the gradient up from the fiddle yard where it is out in the open to meet up with the main double track circuit, the actual junction being a little further on yet (a future visit). A new section of floor supports has been laid out from which the uprights can sprout. What I did was to start at the top of the incline with a key upright cut to its precise length as per the plan then adjust the interim supports back to where it emerges from beneath the upper level (top right) to try and engineer a steady rise at a constant gradient. Hence quite a bit of the day spent squinting at the spirit level and doing hard sums. The currently bare uprights in the centre, towards the middle of the room, are where the MPD will go.

The larger of the new boards (with the double track on) isn't yet fixed down but the incline board is down for keeps. With its completion, the more challenging aspects of construction are now done - the remaining work should be relatively straightforward.

IMG_0006.jpg.d1ccebb5217e26a748db08e42bb60e3a.jpg

I took this to give an impression of the climb out of the fiddle yard. It's quite a steep gradient (no way round that, given the plan and the size of room), somewhere between 1-in-40 and 1-in-45. But the idea is that the steeper part of the gradient is accessible so trains can be helped if required, the initial gradient out of the fiddle yard being easier such that trains should at least be able to get to a point where they stick their snout out of the subterranean 'rest of the world'. The mainlines meanwhile are on a slight downhill gradient (approx. 1-in-100) to offer some relief in a grade separation arrangement whilst trying to give priority to relatively trouble-free running on the main circuit.

WP_20191107_17_18_41_Pro.jpg.76b46f8d6f109cf8631653481e711b04.jpg

Just to put all this into context, here is a reminder of what had already been done, ie this is turning right through 90 degrees compared to the above photos. In all, we're probably about two-thirds of the way round the room in terms of getting the main circuit up and running. Meanwhile Barry's own toil in wiring up the fiddle yard tracks is not without its own 'result' - locos were happily whizzing up and down the roads and all points working reliably which was nice to see.

I have to say that the pleasure is all mine in getting this work done. So nice when you're asked to do a track plan to then get to see it turned into reality. And now Barry has bought all them points then we need to crack on and get them all installed in relatively short order.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, a pleasant 24 hours spent at Barry-O Towers. A few more pix to illustrate what was achieved:

IMG_0004.jpg.4842412058302a1cb864e76230a6a7e5.jpg

This was the state of play at 4pm yesterday when work concluded. Basically, it was this corner, a slice of 9mm ply 4ft by 3.5ft, cut to shape and supported. The mainlines are mapped out on a 3ft radius curve, although that'll need some manipulating at the double junction - even with the web-cutting to manipulate the Peco pointwork, I doubt that I can induce a 3ft radius curve into a long crossing.

IMG_0005.jpg.a770d409f02ee649a3990f334557acd5.jpg

This pic probably puts it into context more. The key aspect here was to engineer the gradient up from the fiddle yard where it is out in the open to meet up with the main double track circuit, the actual junction being a little further on yet (a future visit). A new section of floor supports has been laid out from which the uprights can sprout. What I did was to start at the top of the incline with a key upright cut to its precise length as per the plan then adjust the interim supports back to where it emerges from beneath the upper level (top right) to try and engineer a steady rise at a constant gradient. Hence quite a bit of the day spent squinting at the spirit level and doing hard sums. The currently bare uprights in the centre, towards the middle of the room, are where the MPD will go.

The larger of the new boards (with the double track on) isn't yet fixed down but the incline board is down for keeps. With its completion, the more challenging aspects of construction are now done - the remaining work should be relatively straightforward.

IMG_0006.jpg.d1ccebb5217e26a748db08e42bb60e3a.jpg

I took this to give an impression of the climb out of the fiddle yard. It's quite a steep gradient (no way round that, given the plan and the size of room), somewhere between 1-in-40 and 1-in-45. But the idea is that the steeper part of the gradient is accessible so trains can be helped if required, the initial gradient out of the fiddle yard being easier such that trains should at least be able to get to a point where they stick their snout out of the subterranean 'rest of the world'. The mainlines meanwhile are on a slight downhill gradient (approx. 1-in-100) to offer some relief in a grade separation arrangement whilst trying to give priority to relatively trouble-free running on the main circuit.

WP_20191107_17_18_41_Pro.jpg.76b46f8d6f109cf8631653481e711b04.jpg

Just to put all this into context, here is a reminder of what had already been done, ie this is turning right through 90 degrees compared to the above photos. In all, we're probably about two-thirds of the way round the room in terms of getting the main circuit up and running. Meanwhile Barry's own toil in wiring up the fiddle yard tracks is not without its own 'result' - locos were happily whizzing up and down the roads and all points working reliably which was nice to see.

I have to say that the pleasure is all mine in getting this work done. So nice when you're asked to do a track plan to then get to see it turned into reality. And now Barry has bought all them points then we need to crack on and get them all installed in relatively short order.

Excellent stuff Graham (and Baz). Just one question - superelevation? That would look nice on the main line.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wiring up to date, cork layed where possible..

Attention has moved onto stock testing. 

First up all wagon, coach and loco couplings checked. A lot of DG couplings adjusted. Internal to coach rake kds adjusted and/or repositioned.

Loco testing undertaken. The climb out of the fiddle yard sorrs the RTR locos out. Having said that  most of my kit built locomotives have not required any extra weight..I am slowly working my way through them all.

Coaching stock is a mixture oof ex LMS, ex LNER and BR standards.

Pacifics are available but focus on Jubilees, Scots and 5s with the odd B1, B16 etc.

I will start to update my loco blog and kit building threads in due course.

Have a great 2020 everyone!

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

height, unbending bent hooks, checking the droppers and the phosphour bronze bits...

having stock moving between show and storage positions does have an affect on them

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

height, unbending bent hooks, checking the droppers and the phosphour bronze bits...

having stock moving between show and storage positions does have an affect on them

Baz

Just the usual then. The joint at the back of the loop is a regular offender. Have you found that recently the steel wire is much harder to solder properly? Must have a different coating I suspect. I don't have a lot of trouble with hooks as long as I don't bend them too far in the first place.