Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Just the usual then. The joint at the back of the loop is a regular offender. Have you found that recently the steel wire is much harder to solder properly? Must have a different coating I suspect. I don't have a lot of trouble with hooks as long as I don't bend them too far in the first place.

Yep the steel wire is different.. indeed one batch was non magnetic,,,,, 

Luckily I have some of the older wire.. it needs a lot more cleaning 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Supplementary question - do you use dismembered H&Ms as magnets like Mr Edge does? If so, what voltage do you run them at and how much current do they draw? Up to now I've made my own using sewing machine bobbins but given that I've got a lot of surplus H&Ms lying around, having replaced them all by Cobalts, I might try them with the DGs.

Of course, if you know of a good home for the H&Ms we can discuss a deal...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Have you had any of the non magnetic steel wire we had a couple of years ago? That caused a few mysterious problems.

Not so far Mike - just some very shiny plated steel that is a buqqer to solder.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

If you're using phosphoric acid it shouldn't be a problem for any steel including stainless - however if you are trying to solder it with Fluxite, good luck.

I think the non magnetic batch was probably some sort of stainless.

And it was very shiny!

I yave just removed some of these droppers as part of my coupling sort out...

Baz

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

If you're using phosphoric acid it shouldn't be a problem for any steel including stainless - however if you are trying to solder it with Fluxite, good luck.

I think the non magnetic batch was probably some sort of stainless.

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

And it was very shiny!

I yave just removed some of these droppers as part of my coupling sort out...

Baz

Hmm, I don't think I've actually tested some of my more recent builds with magnets! A job for next week Mr O...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2020 at 21:37, St Enodoc said:

Hmm, I don't think I've actually tested some of my more recent builds with magnets! A job for next week Mr O...

Got home from Melbourne this evening and checked the one-and-a-half coils of DG shiny steel wire that I have in stock.

They are

magnetic!

Phew.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

strangely enough I checked all of my stock too and have moved the shiny non magnetic wire somewhere safe... and where did I get and fit some 3mm DGs.. Mike has found a few on some of the older wagons

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I checked some of the shiny wire today, it is magnetic but not as strongly attracted as the older dull stuff. This might explain a few problems. Two of the 3mm couplings have gone on the front of your O4s, without a loop they work just as well as the 4mm ones.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much progress layout wise.  As I am in lockdown and need my baseboard builder/ track laying conspirator to be here can't see a way of progressing for a while. So its back to testing!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, some work has been done. Uncoupling magnets have been installed and serious stock checking has been undertaken. (which has lead to some repairs/renewals and one condemnation!

But the fiddle yard in is now full..

new stock has been put under test

lms_stock_to_the_for.JPG.30bc35f8fe39f853d54cc1e2c7876a8c.JPG

DMUS have been stabled

1642113515_dmusonbarnbow.JPG.c9a3a089024c21c0d52d6a5753693cf2.JPG

(Hornby Calder Valley Class 110, DC Kits Craven Parcels car, 

Closest road DC Kits  Derby Unit (Class 108) -- its going between Liverpool Central and Gateacre(!)

then a DC Kits Cravens set (two more need finishing...

Busy, busy, busy but we really need to crack on with baseboards and track as soon as it is safe to do so..

Baz

full_yard_on_barnbow_2.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

While mending and  bodging thins attention has turned to the ability of locos to drag a 7 car (maximum) kit built coach rake out of the fiddle yard and up the bank to the main line. 

Very few of the layouts I help with stockwise (other than Shap) have gradients. Over the years this has lead to a bit of backslider in adding weight to locos. This is now being seen to. I now need more cerrobond/ woods metal as weighting materials ( with a low melting pooint you can pour it into plastic bodied locos).

The worst offeners are model loco Black 5s with Portescap motors and gears.. without weight they slip for England.

A very old Wills A2 without added weight moves up the hill with no problem. RTR does manage it but it is protesting. A millhome Patriot (Derbyshire Yeomanry) with a high flyer gearbox and a long Chinese motor tackles the task with eaae ...

I suppose I could do my own "power classification" but all of the larger engines need to be fit for purpose so its back to the rolled up lead today.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Barry O said:

While mending and  bodging thins attention has turned to the ability of locos to drag a 7 car (maximum) kit built coach rake out of the fiddle yard and up the bank to the main line. 

Very few of the layouts I help with stockwise (other than Shap) have gradients. Over the years this has lead to a bit of backslider in adding weight to locos. This is now being seen to. I now need more cerrobond/ woods metal as weighting materials ( with a low melting pooint you can pour it into plastic bodied locos).

The worst offeners are model loco Black 5s with Portescap motors and gears.. without weight they slip for England.

A very old Wills A2 without added weight moves up the hill with no problem. RTR does manage it but it is protesting. A millhome Patriot (Derbyshire Yeomanry) with a high flyer gearbox and a long Chinese motor tackles the task with eaae ...

I suppose I could do my own "power classification" but all of the larger engines need to be fit for purpose so its back to the rolled up lead today.

Baz

Magnadhesion...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It pulls trackpins out

Well don't use 'em then! Use glue like the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

picks up droppers

That sounds useful. They're a buqqer to find usually. If all you have to do is look under a loco or three I'd take that as a win.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Barry

I think there are some alternative solutions to those suggested by the above.

1, Diesel locos

2, Heljan Gloucester parcels cars replacing all the locos, terrific haulage capacity

3, Redesign the layout

4, Banking locos

6, Forget that I came up with some ideas.

7, Take up knitting

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive.. I will stick to adding more weight.. but I do have a fleet of diesels waiting......

Classes 08,17, 20, 23, 24, 25, 31, 37, 40,44,45, 46, 47, 50, 55 are all here and a few DMUs as well.. no where near as many as you have but they can do the job...

and my late grandma taught me how to knit(!)

Banking engines are available.

Baz

• Like 5

Hi Baz,

Great to see the progress with your layout.

My first gradient has an A4 easily moving 5 Bachmann Mk 1's out of the part of the layout I call Rest of the World or London.

I have a Hornby B17 which didn't pull the 5 Bachmann Mk 1's at all. I think it could manage 4, but I haven't tested it yet.

The gradient is about 1 in 60 by the way.

I suppose the next step for me will be to add weight to the B17. Then I thought I should just make it a regional train with a 4 coach limit.

Take care. The UK seems to be a scary place to live at the moment.

Regards

Rodney

• Thanks 1