Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rodney

all of my locos will pull 7 Bachmann Mk1 (or at least the ones I have sorted out so that they run freely).

My B17 has a comet chassis. I have got it up to pulling a 5 coach Ian Kirk/Mailcoach rake up the hill but there is still space for added lead.

Yes, the UK is a very scary place.. I now listen to ABC Classic FM for Music and news... seems like I should move to the antipodes!

Stay Healthy!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The Castle branch on Green Ayre is 1 in 70 and I had to make sure that the motor car with two little ABC traction motors in the power bogie could move a 3 car set up the branch on a fairly tight curve.  I've only had the whole set together once at Warley in 2017 and it romped up. Mind you the floor of the motor car is nearly covered in printers type. As you say gradients are not very common. It sounds as if you have the matter well in hand.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, great to resume progress, not least for some semblance of carefully controlled Covid return to normality.

Didn't take any pictures of my own but hopefully the pictures give an idea. All of what was built yesterday was on a carefully engineering gradient so quite a bit of maths, head-scratching and measuring lots of times before cutting. But all seems to be working out as per plan.

Looking forward to the top boards going on next time which will give a clearer idea of what's going on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

worst thing is you measure up the job. Mark out the item to be cut.. check the measurements are correct, cut it out. offer it up.. it doesn't fit//how?? cos you measured the wrong thing dummy!  Doh!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

worst thing is you measure up the job. Mark out the item to be cut.. check the measurements are correct, cut it out. offer it up.. it doesn't fit//how?? cos you measured the wrong thing dummy!  Doh!

Baz

I have done similar but cutting the piece the correct size and test fitted it , then use that perfectly cut piece for another smaller bit only to find that I no longer have enough material to redo it. Thats also happened more than once:mellow:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another enjoyable day chez Barry O (especially as I came away with another Stanier Pacific!).

20200729_113428.jpg.252a6e0ac83d9b2d6ab62fe9c26650bf.jpg

Main object of the exercise was to install the baseboards for the 180deg mainline curve on to the top of the supporting structure knocked up on the previous visit. Here, the first - and most tricky - of these baseboard pieces has been cut to shape and is being propped up above the fiddle yard dead end roads, in the far corner.

20200729_151200.jpg.60a57cb4eab999afa28b0d0b1a622643.jpg

This was all part of the 'grand design'. Knowing that we'd need to support this wood above the fiddle yard roads, an extra space was added every four roads so as some supporting pieces can be fitted in. With the precise outline of the baseboard now known, the support pieces (cut from off cuts of the earlier-used 12mm ply) have been fixed into position - a two person job (suitably distanced). They might appear a bit random from this view but ...

20200729_165407.jpg.5a6a1dfe6fc9c4b965a115b1b6df56f5.jpg

Now with board fitted, maybe it makes more sense? The wider section of this board, to the left, takes account of the buffer stop ends of the four sidings in the goods yard. This bit is level but the mainline curve is actually dropping from left to right. The usual head-scratching to work out the height of all the supporting pieces but it all checked out OK once fitted in terms of a constant rate of descent and level side-to-side.

20200729_165339.jpg.bffb1c44b71aa69cfcf28615cf0ffb96.jpg

This took till mid-afternoon; thereafter the work was a lot simpler and therefore progress more rapid, as seen here with the other part of the reverse curve in place. The bottom end here roughly marks the spot where the line will appear out of a tunnel. As a reminder(?), above all this will be the colliery scene with a steep little incline to get above these running lines - much fun to be had with short rakes of coal wagons and industrial locos.

20200729_174546.jpg.f97e2550e9d0c06a09d720c727789ff3.jpg

Looking the other way, the remaining piece of board is now in place and the piece of wood for the 'bridge' piece just plonked in place for now. This has enabled a check of the planned reverse curve - it all seems to be working out as per plan.

20200729_175413.jpg.a41b05dfe106cfb600b42b53843bcf58.jpg

This is about the widest view I was able to get but hopefully gives a fair idea of what the visible part of the completed circuit will look like.

Quite a bit of board that can be 'corked' now. Next visit will hopefully see the final fixing in to place of those remaining boards that are just loose at the moment.

post-7650-0-64833000-1536258807_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
Reminder of trackplan added for reference
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Baz mate,

Are you going to be able to get at the stock in the fuddle yard with it covered?

Yes as , if required, the "lid" can be lifteed up to gain access. At other times you can get your hands in through the gap under the lid. The new track base is over the dmu/local train storage lines. 

Baz

• Like 1

As a reminder, here is the 'lid' in operation:

full_yard_on_barnbow_2.JPG.a5022b615f034730a01296ab9f6b96bc.jpg.b9b31fb93289b4edf7de4eb71a4ceb23.jpg

Will require some care with tracklaying above as there's quite a bit of it crossing the joints. It'll be a little disruptive in the middle of an operating session as will require stock to be moved from the tracks above (so would only deployed in an emergency); at other times though stock can be cleared for any planned maintenance, repairs, modifications, etc.

At the right hand, where the curve was installed yesterday, the idea here is for a lift-out scenery module between the upper track to be able to get at things (although the ballast-meister came over a little peculiar at the very mention of the word 'scenery' ...)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Yes as , if required, the "lid" can be lifteed up to gain access. At other times you can get your hands in through the gap under the lid. The new track base is over the dmu/local train storage lines. 

Baz

Oh Typical !!!!

DMUs the underdogs of toy trains. :mad:

That is actually good news. With most layouts (including Sheffield Exchange)  I have helped operate fiddle yards always seem to be the place for derailments, operator error and non starting locos so I always have this fear when I see covered storage sidings, the fun will be taken out of the playtime.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't get a decent route for trains into Barnbow East.. so a change of name- the station will be called "Leeds London Road" and the colliery (when built) will be Barnbow East.

While building the "new" tank Factory at Barnbow building works found copious amounts of coal (removed by the then NCB). The Factory was demolished recently and houses are being built of the site.. I wonder if they will try and break up the concrete floor? 

So Leeds London Road will be the station on the layout. It should be very impressive and I fully intend to be able to use the track layout to allow trains to have dining cars removed/replaced into the express trains..could be fun! (and something which doesn't happen a lot on layouts....

Baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

yes.. it is part of the route to West Hartlepool.. they did buy bits of the docks there!

I will still make use of mainly ex LMS/BR(LM) stock but trains to and from the North East will be calling in for loco changes etc. I will try and draw a "map" of its location

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned above.. scenery on here will be mainly inner city grot.. just like that in the very old club layout Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury Midland and Bradford London Road..

grass.. pah!!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Baz

From Leeds (London Road) will there be a service to Sheffield (Exchange)?

The reason asking is so I can tell the blokes who draw up the stock diagrams to limit the DMUs to six car because there isn't the room for an eight car train.   :declare:         I have a feeling I better dodge Baz once we can go to shows again:punish:

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

So Leeds London Road will be the station on the layout. It should be very impressive and I fully intend to be able to use the track layout to allow trains to have dining cars removed/replaced into the express trains..could be fun! (and something which doesn't happen a lot on layouts....

Baz

That is something I have been considering with Seff Ex. I have a center track between two platforms which I don't use, so was thinking I could have a couple of catering coaches sat there and they could be added to certain trains. Like wise arriving trains could have their buffet removed. Thus giving my station pilot some thing to do.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

I couldn't get a decent route for trains into Barnbow East.. so a change of name- the station will be called "Leeds London Road" and the colliery (when built) will be Barnbow East.

While building the "new" tank Factory at Barnbow building works found copious amounts of coal (removed by the then NCB). The Factory was demolished recently and houses are being built of the site.. I wonder if they will try and break up the concrete floor? 

Baz

Great idea but, just possibly, a missed opportunity - Leeds Corn Exchange?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2