Leeds London Road . Yard magnets and control panel

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, Barry.

You have given me the kick up the bum to start completing some of my part done stock. We seem to have similar taste in LMS coaches!

I'm another person with an MTK Trans Pennine!!! My mate Mike, Coach Bogie, built me mine a long time ago! Everybody goes on about how bad MTK kits were, but I can't agree!

Way back before today's fantastic spread of offerings, if you wanted to model the, then, modern scene without scratchbuilding, you used MTK!

Admittedly, they were the Jameson of modern image, being a scratchbuilding aid rather than a perfect kit, but I always thought they, like Jidenco, prodded me to build better.

I really must re-motor my TP unit, she, currently, is showing her age!!!

Chris.

Baz knows this story but I'll repeat it anyway.

Many years ago Colin Massingham, the owner of MTK, and his great mate Grahame Beaumont (Jidenco) were looking at my MTK SR 2-BIL that was on display at a Leeds MRS show.

CM: That's a nice-looking 2-BIL.

GB: Can't be one of yours then.

Baz knows this story but I'll repeat it anyway.

Many years ago Colin Massingham, the owner of MTK, and his great mate Grahame Beaumont (Jidenco) were looking at my MTK SR 2-BIL that was on display at a Leeds MRS show.

CM: That's a nice-looking 2-BIL.

GB: Can't be one of yours then.

Fantastic story!!

I remember Colin, he was a 'Case'!!!

The scarey thing is, I have an unbuilt MTK 2BIL de-icing unit and a Manchester Bury 504 to do.

I'll have to get my MTK Modelling Hesd on!!!

C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was yours! Must have been Mike Cole's in that case.

Not mine. Yes, it was probably Mike's although Steve Noble's name was in my head for some reason.

St Enodoc had a set of Trix Mk 1s. Lovely runners but a tad small.

Baz

Yes, they would roll away as soon as you breathed on them due to the pin-point axles in graphite-filled nylon bogies. They were jacked up with 14 mm wheels and a Meccano washer between the bodies and bogies so they were OK for height but still short (and a bit narrow). They were usually pulled by the King that liked to drive itself into the turntable pit when nobody was looking.

Happy days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whose was the Trix one that used to run on Leeds Victoria?

Mike Cole?

I thought it was yours! Must have been Mike Cole's in that case.

Not mine. Yes, it was probably Mike's although Steve Noble's name was in my head for some reason.

This is the one I had in mind:

post-21039-0-25016100-1548668388_thumb.jpg

Corn Exchange 1980.

I've a few other shots from that show but they're scans of pretty lousy Kodachrome slides. I'll post them if they are of any interest.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Please do, nice photo of my signal box for Victoria (Wakefield Kirkgate actually).

OK, here we go:

post-21039-0-10567500-1548673394_thumb.jpg

A good view of the trackwork at the Leeds end of Dewsbury Midland. Who needs Templot when you can borrow RAS's genuine NER railway curves?

post-21039-0-89532200-1548673487_thumb.jpg

Looking across Dewsbury Midland Yard towards the passenger station. Who's the fellow in the white coat? Rossi?

post-21039-0-67959400-1548673553_thumb.jpg

I've labelled this as Royd Lane Junction but I might have remembered that wrongly. Looks like one of Mike Cole's diesels.

post-21039-0-38875400-1548673650_thumb.jpg

Leeds Victoria station buildings, also modelled (by Nick?) on Wakefield Kirkgate.

post-21039-0-92004600-1548673750_thumb.jpg

A good view of a Ratio LMS signal and some LMRS standard grey paint but not much else.

For good measure, three from 1977 featuring the infamous "diving King" and the almost-as-infamous Trix coaches:

post-21039-0-93256300-1548674015_thumb.jpg

Just before or just after the incident in question.

post-21039-0-42836200-1548674114_thumb.jpg

The front of your signal box this time Mike and in the dim distance you can just make out Charlie's Balls in action.

post-21039-0-73515200-1548674212_thumb.jpg

Some of the signals that Barry and I built after exams had finished that summer. Don't ask him how to catch a Stanley knife if you drop it...

Feel free to use any of these for LMRS purposes (or not) should you so wish.

• Like 9

Great photos - no backscene, no layout lighting rig (apparently) and altogether rather raw, but still great to see a small slice of the past. How different it all was then!

That post with the 8 pics in it, John, I like the first one with the light reflecting off the rails and the soupy gloom. It looks like a photo taken of a real station from a tower block in the evening of a dull day! Very evocative.

• RMweb Premium

People use to (and some still do) about the lighting in the NEC). They never experienced the Corn Exchange Leeds. Yes we  had layout lights but with a glass roof full of dark skies it was always dark (and cold) in the Corn Exchange. Leeds Victoria- Dewsbury Midland - Bradford London Road was a great layout to operate but very heavy to move around. Real banking up to Victoria - lots of marshalling yard at Dewsbury - a large engine shed..you name it - it had it all. I think it would easily sort out todays RTR offerings!

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have this one...

post-7650-0-90642900-1548706830_thumb.jpg

No track plan as far as I am aware as the last one I had was a hand drawn one.

Terminus to terminus it could get a bit scary at times as you may be controlling a train on the other side of the layout... which you couldn't see!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have this one...

attachicon.gifDewsbury Midland Leeds MRS.jpg

No track plan as far as I am aware as the last one I had was a hand drawn one.

Terminus to terminus it could get a bit scary at times as you may be controlling a train on the other side of the layout... which you couldn't see!

Baz

Long time ago. My 'tache was still brown...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great photos - no backscene, no layout lighting rig (apparently) and altogether rather raw, but still great to see a small slice of the past. How different it all was then!

That post with the 8 pics in it, John, I like the first one with the light reflecting off the rails and the soupy gloom. It looks like a photo taken of a real station from a tower block in the evening of a dull day! Very evocative.

As Baz says, we did have some basic lights - they were at the top of the vertical bits of 2 x 1 that you can see in some of the photos.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

People use to (and some still do) about the lighting in the NEC). They never experienced the Corn Exchange Leeds. Yes we  had layout lights but with a glass roof full of dark skies it was always dark (and cold) in the Corn Exchange. Leeds Victoria- Dewsbury Midland - Bradford London Road was a great layout to operate but very heavy to move around. Real banking up to Victoria - lots of marshalling yard at Dewsbury - a large engine shed..you name it - it had it all. I think it would easily sort out todays RTR offerings!

Baz

Some folk reckon that Antarctica is the coldest place on Earth. Not so... ask anyone who spent time in the pay box at the Corn Exchange.

Incidentally, I don't know why we never referred to the layout as the West Riding Lines. Would've had the right sort of ring to it.

Yes it was a monster and I did build the station building, it was Wakefield Kirkgate.

The outer line of the goods loop is missing in the scan of the track plan.

Remember  - The exhibition at Barrow in Furness on a ballroom floor when it decided it wanted to do a dance of its own. Restrained by a nail in the stage and string tied from it round the layout.

- The track circuits which would give a useful tingle to nosey fingers

-  5 floors up and down in Dock Street

- "Turn your f***ing link off !!!"

Nick

Leeds_Victoria.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That was before we widened it by 18"1837183080_LeedsVictoriasmall.jpg.25a38398aec90f3c969dd2052b369e2b.jpg

I built three turntables for this layout and all are still in use, the 70ft one form the loco shed is now Upperby's turntable on the Carlisle layout, the 60ft one form Bradford is at Brunswick shed on Herculaneum Dock and the other one (actually 65ft) is earmarked for Bournemouth West.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1