To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

SCC Range in S Scale

Knuckles

Hello, many of you may know who I am, many of you may not.

Either way I have been on RMweb for a good number of years now.

I'm not an S scale modeller although I very much appreciate and respect it.

I've made this thread to offer the current SCC range in S scale.

As I have been doing I could periodically re-scale and optimize everything item by item and this may happen incrementally.

However, I'd rather gauge genuine interest first and make items available as an when wanted so as to not waste time.

Long term goal is to make every creation available to any scale wanted.

Almost everything currently available can be re-scaled so if anything interests you please make it known. :)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have copied your post over to the S scale yahoo group (which is open to anyone with an interest in S). A question was raised about how to create a smooth surface with filling and rubbing, without disturbing the river detail?

If you would like to write a short piece on the service you are providing, and how to deal with such as the above, I will get it published in the S Scale MRS Gazette. Contact me via PM if interested.

• Like 2

Maybe the E2X 0-6-0T, the Class 28 Mogul Experiment 2-6-0, the Freelance K2 4-4-0, the GNR A0 Pacific 4-6-2 and Henry's old shape are good candidates. Is S Scale the same scale as TOMY Trackmaster Thomas trains? That scale seems very interesting.

I highly doubt anyone in S scale would want to model anything and paint it in a Railway Series guise.

S scale is a very serious scale, so I was thinking the pre-Grouping items would offer the most interest. It is after all the main area to concentrate on.

We'll see I guess.

I have copied your post over to the S scale yahoo group (which is open to anyone with an interest in S). A question was raised about how to create a smooth surface with filling and rubbing, without disturbing the river detail?

If you would like to write a short piece on the service you are providing, and how to deal with such as the above, I will get it published in the S Scale MRS Gazette. Contact me via PM if interested.

Many thanks, PM sent.

Those lovely Furness locos of yours are certainly a temptation in any scale. Pre-grouping and a proper imperial scale like S seems like a good match.

Thanks. It is more what I was thinking. :)

Edited by Knuckles

One thing puzzles me; S Scale trains are made only for the American market. How, I ask, how is it possible to bring them here into the British market?

You never seen an British S Scale layout?

I have and they are some of the best examples of modelling you're likely to find. In my opinion of course.

It is a Scale that requires scratch building a large percentage of things which is partly why I'd like to offer things in the scale.

You never seen an British S Scale layout?

I have and they are some of the best examples of modelling you're likely to find. In my opinion of course.

It is a Scale that requires scratch building a large percentage of things which is partly why I'd like to offer things in the scale.

I've just seen a video of a British S Scale layout and it looks nice. It's halfway between 00/HO and O which is nice.

• RMweb Gold

I highly doubt anyone in S scale would want to model anything and paint it in a Railway Series guise.

It’s a lot of effort when they can be bought off the shelf in 00...

S scale is a very serious scale

Well, we are serious about our modelling, but actually are a lot more laid back than most people think. We certainly don’t take ourselves seriously - the AGM consists largely of people being rude to the Chairman. I should know: I used to be one of the naughty boys at the back, but I am now the object and subject of the abuse!

In fact, we have had such things as a “flying banana” (a lifesize plastic banana with a hole cut in it so it would fit on an 0-4-0 chassis - the stalk had to be trimmed, however, as it was out of gauge and hit the smoke deflectors on the footbridge on Thame) and Postman Pat has made an appearance in his van (moulded ridges on the wheels happened to be S Gauge). The latter was obviously a case of the railways helping out the GPO, for the van was pushed along the track by a GWR tank engine.

so I was thinking the pre-Grouping items would offer the most interest. It is after all the main area to concentrate on.We'll see I guess. Many thanks, PM sent. Thanks. It is more what I was thinking. :)

Pre-grouping is the most popular era in S Scale, as you are probably going to have to build a fair amount yourself (although with several 00 RtR LSWR locos made, maybe not!) and the larger scale for the smaller prototypes makes it easier to accommodate the mechanism.

Also (unless you model the LSWR) you are not likely to be shown up by the latest ready made release!

It is a scale for modellers/builders. Even in the USA, there are large gaps in the range of available products, so hand building is inevitable.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of lovely reading here:

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/main.htm

It’s 19% bigger than 4mm scale, and 68% of 7mm scale.

In the USA, it does fall almost perfectly half way between H0 and 0.

Mathematical pedant mode on. 19% bigger in any one dimension. But consider the volume and it is 68.5% bigger. That's what makes it so satisfactory - still much more compact than 0 but with some serious "weight". Modelling pre-group, with its smaller locos and carriages (and shorter trains) gives this benefit but still in the sort of space that a lot of people build 4mm layouts in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thomas the Tank Engine in S Gauge, anyone?

Alan Gibson Wheels do produce a 4’ 7½” (nominal - actually 1” (scale) smaller) using ⅛” axles, for S scale, o if you really want one, no one is stopping you.

J1 2-4-2T sorted, re-modelled in a few areas. 1/64, 4.76mm, S Scale.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/K82V7TFCZ/s-scale-fr-j1-fud - The smoother more crisp version. The higher resolution isn't allowed apparently due to the model size breaching the bounding box parameters. :-/

That's entirely out of my hands sadly.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P9NBTF4A7/s-scale-fr-j1-wsf - Cheaper one, rivets won't turn out as good

Backhead had to be separate, as it has had to be for all scales for the J1. Some details are rather chunky due to tolerances needing to be met.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TSWXL7CAN/s-scale-fr-e1-j1-backhead-controls?key=56074de30517b67f8b36eb2d99eefbf2

Edit: Offer to rescale items to S still exists if there is interest. Just let me know here or in PM or email sparkshot082@gmail.com

Edited by Knuckles

• 1 year later...
On 06/09/2018 at 16:51, Knuckles said:

Hello, many of you may know who I am, many of you may not.

Either way I have been on RMweb for a good number of years now.

I'm not an S scale modeller although I very much appreciate and respect it.

I've made this thread to offer the current SCC range in S scale.

As I have been doing I could periodically re-scale and optimize everything item by item and this may happen incrementally.

However, I'd rather gauge genuine interest first and make items available as an when wanted so as to not waste time.

Long term goal is to make every creation available to any scale wanted.

Almost everything currently available can be re-scaled so if anything interests you please make it known. :)

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/sparkshotcustomcreationsscc

Well that's interesting, have you considered making applications of models for the US market? American Flyer is widely used over here in the US of A... would love to do some possible S scale conversions with your kits with minimal work done, American Flyer DOES have a 4-4-0 so the chassis may only need slight modification (Removal of the cylinders etc.) to accept the K2 V3 body shell 

Possible Edward Chassis

How to Mend old American Flyer (Toy Train 101)

Personally I'd love a model of a Railway Series Edward in that Scale! 

Edited by Max's Model Railway