BRM October 18

Andy McV

• RMweb Premium

Hi don’t know if this is in the right place with me being new to the forum but I purchased my first ever railway modelling magazine this morning BRM and it’s brilliant loads of advice and different scale layouts. So pleased.:)

Welcome to the forum, Tim. Happy modelling! You’ll find loads of encouragement from the members on here.

Mike

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hi don’t know if this is in the right place with me being new to the forum but I purchased my first ever railway modelling magazine this morning BRM and it’s brilliant loads of advice and different scale layouts. So pleased. :)

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the issue, what scale do you model in and what did you find the most useful in this issue?

• Moderators

Hello folks,

Take a look at what's on BRMTV DVD with the October issue of BRM:

- Layout of the month

- Practical BRM: Clean your track

- Unboxing video: Golden Valley Hobbies 'Janus' 0-6-0 diesel

- Practical BRM: Introduction to wiring a layout

We hope you enjoy it! Download your copy today from pocketmags.com/BRM or pick up a copy in store.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just signed up for another year. I enjoyed the articles as usual, but the way the ads repeat on the first article is jarring and reminds me of the ad breaks over here in N. America. Seeing an ad repeated two or three times in the same break is guaranteed to turn me off.

Our exclusive digital edition is on sale now!

Download the October issue of BRM for just 99p.

We are giving you a massive 257 pages for your 99p…

Is this 99p edition different from the regular digital edition? Only mine definitely only has 251 pages, not 257.

Pedantics aside though, I really do enjoy the digital BRM. But I must agree with the previous post. Those repetitive little ads over layout pics are a real turn-off.

• Moderators

Is this 99p edition different from the regular digital edition? Only mine definitely only has 251 pages, not 257.

Pedantics aside though, I really do enjoy the digital BRM. But I must agree with the previous post. Those repetitive little ads over layout pics are a real turn-off.

Hello,

Marketing error - yes, the ads will feature once in future.

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Marketing error - yes, the ads will feature once in future.

This sounds slightly different to RMweb, then.

When I've checked over the last couple of days, the "media" section of RMweb has featured loads of repeats of the same few banner ads (for Warners / BRM digital / BRM subscriptions) alongside every section heading - especially alongside the headings for all the rival railway modelling magazines.

Now I wonder which mag(s) I'll be getting from my local newsagent in a week or two's time ... . Decisions ... decisions ... .

Seriously though, I'm not the target audience for these banner ads. Much to some people's irritation, I don't do subs. Instead, I prefer to base my magazine purchasing decisions on content. (Motive power or rolling stock modelmaking - and "cut & shuts" - usually persuade me to hand over the "folding stuff". RTR reviews don't usually have quite the same effect on me.)

For various reasons, I don't see my standpoint changing any time soon.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Administrators

When I've checked over the last couple of days, the "media" section of RMweb has featured loads of repeats of the same few banner ads (for Warners / BRM digital / BRM subscriptions) alongside every section heading - especially alongside the headings for all the rival railway modelling magazines.

Now I wonder which mag(s) I'll be getting from my local newsagent in a week or two's time ... . Decisions ... decisions ... .

The site format requires an advert in that space so if it hasn't been sold to anyone else, you get a banner promoting the magazine that subsidises free access to RMweb. If it offends you, there are forums on Facebook where there is, of course, no advertising and they don't sell your details to anyone who offers a grubby fiver...

• RMweb Gold

Seriously though, I'm not the target audience for these banner ads. Much to some people's irritation, I don't do subs. Instead, I prefer to base my magazine purchasing decisions on content. (Motive power or rolling stock modelmaking - and "cut & shuts" - usually persuade me to hand over the "folding stuff". RTR reviews don't usually have quite the same effect on me.)

For various reasons, I don't see my standpoint changing any time soon.

Huw.

An ad blocker might help your issues.

• RMweb Gold

The site format requires an advert in that space so if it hasn't been sold to anyone else, you get a banner promoting the magazine that subsidises free access to RMweb. If it offends you, there are forums on Facebook where there is, of course, no advertising and they don't sell your details to anyone who offers a grubby fiver...

No offence at all - and I've never had any problem with seeing Warners ads (especially for the reason you've just highlighted).

Also no problems with any of the ads on this site - I'm just not their real target market, that's all. In all honesty, I was just amused by one company's ads (Warners) appearing in areas of this site referring to rival companies' magazines - that was all!

I also don't have any problems with BRM (which I've purchased a copy of, every edition since Warners started paying the bills round here) or any other Warners magazines. If I were to have a problem, I would contact the most relevant member of "the team" directly - probably by PM or email - I certainly wouldn't be making any "noise" on this site or any others.

Before anyone asks, as for what I like to see in magazines, I've never made any secret of my personal tastes - some people will agree with these - some won't.

Oh yes - and as for Facepalm and Tw*tter - I've never had anything to do with those sites - I don't see my position on these changing any time soon.

An ad blocker might help your issues.

Probably not.

Scary.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

I have downloaded the digital October issue on to my Ipad but it does not appear to be working correctly. Special features pop up in unwanted places preventing me from reading the article now hidden underneath the pop up thingy. For instance one of these pop up thingies appears on the second review page of the Brighton Atlantic. Very annoying. I have tried to no avail to delete and reload this issue. But I can't even delete it. Anyone else had this problem ?

Cheers,

Chris

I’ve not had any problems on iPad, iPhone, pr desktop

A few things I would try:

Check your iPad os is up to date.

Do a hard reset on the iPad (complete shut down and restart)

Delete and reinstall the Pocketmags app.

Edited by Kiwi