Peterborough to Northampton line

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m trying to find track diagrams of the long closed line between Peterborough and Northampton, especially Elton station but I’m drawing a blank. I have pictures but there mainly in the 50’s or after passenger most freight traffic had finished and the line was singled, in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Has anyone got any information or links to websites on how to locate these?

• RMweb Gold

The booklet Track Diagrams of the London North Western - Section 5 Northamptonshire by R. Forster and M, Instone has the diagrams for this line including Elton. The Elton diagram is dated 1884 with annotated changes for 'before 1912' and between 1944 to 1949).

As far as I know there is only volume 5 of this series - I have never come across any other volume.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, that’s excellent, just what I was looking for. I’m pretty sure that the station would have had a signal box of some sort as it had a siding and cross overs but I can find no sign of one on diagrams. I’m sure the crossing gates would have been manually closed by the station staff.

SRS "BRITISH RAILWAYS LAYOUT PLANS of the 1950s" Volume 7: L&NWR Branch Lines London and East Midlands Area by Swift.

This book includes all the known box diagrams for the Blisworth to Peterborough line for the BR era. "Elton Crossing" is shown merely as "GF"; i.e. crossing keeper's hut. There was no signal box between Oundle and Yarwell Junction during this epoch.

All relevant notes about the lever frame are in Foster & Instone. Swift is showing the situation after complete closure of the station.

I’m trying to find track diagrams of the long closed line between Peterborough and Northampton, especially Elton station but I’m drawing a blank. I have pictures but there mainly in the 50’s or after passenger most freight traffic had finished and the line was singled, in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Has anyone got any information or links to websites on how to locate these?

I think I may have a BR track plan (40ft:1in). I modelled Elton (in Model Rail about 15 years ago). There was n't much there. It was built after the line opened so didn't match any of the John Livock station buildings. It was basically a two storey house on the up side of the line, Peterborough side of the road. The down side had just a wood and corrugated iron shelter. There was a single siding on the Oundle side of the road, (down side, I think) with a crude wood and corrugated iron shed. Are photos of any interest? I have one or two. (CJL, Barnwell station)

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have a BR track plan (40ft:1in). I modelled Elton (in Model Rail about 15 years ago). There was n't much there. It was built after the line opened so didn't match any of the John Livock station buildings. It was basically a two storey house on the up side of the line, Peterborough side of the road. The down side had just a wood and corrugated iron shelter. There was a single siding on the Oundle side of the road, (down side, I think) with a crude wood and corrugated iron shed. Are photos of any interest? I have one or two. (CJL, Barnwell station)

Hi Chris, I’m modelling Elton station In the same vein as your Black Dog Halt but as if the line had remained in place and passenger service had resumed under Network SouthEast. The station would be a simple affair, pretty much like Whittlesea but I was thinking of keeping the semaphore signalling and crossing gates so would have needed a signal box but if it never had one, that seriously limits my options.

If you still have a copy of your article on the layout you built, I’d love to see it and any other photos that you may have.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, I’m modelling Elton station In the same vein as your Black Dog Halt but as if the line had remained in place and passenger service had resumed under Network SouthEast. The station would be a simple affair, pretty much like Whittlesea but I was thinking of keeping the semaphore signalling and crossing gates so would have needed a signal box but if it never had one, that seriously limits my options.

If you still have a copy of your article on the layout you built, I’d love to see it and any other photos that you may have.

According to the LMW track plan book I mentioned there was a signal box on the up platform at Elton controlling the Level Crossing and siding. It says it was reduced to ground frame status by 1956.

Rob