Dapol Announce N gauge Mk.3 Sleepers

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Announced at TINGS, been seeing a few images of these online. Please post here if you have pics.

Really good news that Dapol are supporting N gaugers in these difficult times. 

Edited by Crepello

The Caledonian Sleeper "stag" coaches aren't likely to be too popular given that the older ex-First coaches are still run the majority of services. I can't see the Jarvis mess coach making it much further than the bargain bins either. Other liveries should sell well, especially with the GWR 57s coming out soon.

It would be really great if these coaches were produced with all of the following details, which are all points of difference from a standard Mk3 (HST) or Mk3a:

- built in tail lights

- different underframe with a unique recessed panel for the retention tank toilets

- larger end windows in the folding gangway doors

- roof with water tank hatches at both ends, but the large square ventilator at one end only (this is correctly represented on the EP shown on the Dapol Digest)

My guess is that the sleeper may be a modification of existing tooling or use existing tooling for some components eg the underframe, so the final model will probably compromise on some of these details.

Regardless, to me it is a welcome announcement.

Cheers

Tom.

It would be really great if these coaches were produced with all of the following details, which are all points of difference from a standard Mk3 (HST) or Mk3a:

- built in tail lights

- different underframe with a unique recessed panel for the retention tank toilets

- larger end windows in the folding gangway doors

- roof with water tank hatches at both ends, but the large square ventilator at one end only (this is correctly represented on the EP shown on the Dapol Digest)

My guess is that the sleeper may be a modification of existing tooling or use existing tooling for some components eg the underframe, so the final model will probably compromise on some of these details.

Regardless, to me it is a welcome announcement.

Cheers

Tom.

It is most likely to be a model that is based on their current ones. So they'll probably use tooling slides already available and just create a new slide for the body. Note that they cannot modify the tooling, as that would mean you'll lose one type i.e. you're making modifications to something that already exists to produce something else. It's new tooling but as I said before, they already have a good variety and they'll probably just tool up the body and use the existing tool slides for the chassis, bogies, underframe, ends etc.

• RMweb Premium

They moulded the CDL lights on the 'normal' mk3s, including blue/grey and executive ones, so I'd be stunned if they did two separate tools for the sleepers given they'll be inherently more limited.

The lack of decent mk2s makes the Caledonian ones a risk IMO, the Electra Vinyls look good, but using those on mk2s with a 'factory painted' mk3 will look odd IMO, and Farish aren't doing the correct mk2s for a prototypical formation. We shall see, the sample looked pretty good.

Looks like the sample bodyshell is just sat on an HST chassis - there's no buffers either.

Yes, the sample at TINGS was on an incorrect chassis/under-frame, but Dapol were aware so no doubt it will be corrected for production. Hopefully other issues will also be tackled - but are more likely to be corrected if the details are provided as polite feedback.

G

Hallo,

Here a link to Dapol Digest.

I'm in for Blue/Grey and InterCity. But does it make sense to make Caledonien when the MK2 support coaches are not available?

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/rolling-stock/mk3-sleeping-car/7888-mk3-sleeping-car

A very good point.  relevant to the Caledonian Sleeper.  I am not aware of the use of non sleeping cars on the Penzance sleeper or other earlier liveried sleepers.. Others among you must comment on that.   It almost looks like a repeat of when they first introduced HST book sets of 2+2 but did not at the same time produce the additional coaches to enable buyers to make up a more complete rake.  That said Adam Warr does sides for all 3 liveries.  The conversion is simple enough that even I can do it.

The Caledonian Sleeper "stag" coaches aren't likely to be too popular given that the older ex-First coaches are still run the majority of services. I can't see the Jarvis mess coach making it much further than the bargain bins either. Other liveries should sell well, especially with the GWR 57s coming out soon.

I saw the Highlander sleeper go through Watford last July.   There seemed to be a good mix of teal and first liveried sleepers on it.  I did not notice the livery of the Mk 2s.  18  coaches in total.  For my own new layout I have gone for the First (Barbie)  Livery from Adam Warr to go with EWS liveried 67s. .  Already had the farish sleepers. 

• 8 months later...
10 hours ago, pantrogla said:

Not a peep from anyone on the Dapol digest since the initial announcement - obviously sleeping very well!

The Dapol digest doesn’t allow comments on the actual page for the sleeper, so there is another one in the mk 3 coaches section.