Dapol Announce N gauge Mk.3 Sleepers

MGR Hooper!

• 3 months later...

From today's open day.

The sleepers have been delayed to allow some extra liveries to be included in the run.

Decoration samples will be here in about 6 weeks.

They will be supplied UNNUMBERED with decal sheets to allow people to make rakes of coaches that might not sell profitably if split into different numbered coaches.

Unpainted samples were on display.

Les

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2019 at 22:47, Les1952 said:

From today's open day.

The sleepers have been delayed to allow some extra liveries to be included in the run.

They will be supplied UNNUMBERED with decal sheets to allow people to make rakes of coaches that might not sell profitably if split into different numbered coaches.

Les

This is the first sensible thing Dapol have done in ages!

On 22/09/2019 at 03:17, Les1952 said:

From today's open day.

Les

Hope these sell well. If the past is anything to go by, models sold unnumbered and with a decal sheet seem to have been slow sellers. I'm surprised Dapol are going ahead with this. Hope it works out for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scoobyra said:

This is the first sensible thing Dapol have done in ages!

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hope these sell well. If the past is anything to go by, models sold unnumbered and with a decal sheet seem to have been slow sellers. I'm surprised Dapol are going ahead with this. Hope it works out for them.

Yep, that is a surprise. And I'm not convinced it's necessarily a sensible thing. When they offered an unnumbered N gauge class 73 in blue it was, apparently, a very poor seller.

• Agree 1

I think an unnumbered carriage will be a different kettle of fish to an unnumbered loco. Most enthusiasts seem to be loco centric, and the numbers on coaching stock are also a lot smaller. Besides, if it's not printed at the factory, it'll mean Dapol don't print hugely oversized numbering in them like on most of their other coaching stock. 

And if they don't sell... I'll be ready and waiting to pick them up cheap to repaint

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2019 at 22:47, Les1952 said:

Indeed.... I was rather surprised that their original announcement didn’t include FGW ‘dynamic lines’ Night Rivera, or First Scotrail Caledonian Sleeper, but did have the Jarvis livery.

Assuming they’re adding the two obvious liveries, that’s a good move....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

Given the size of the numbers on the models anyway how many of us will actually see them especially when running? I bet a few go onto layouts with the number sheet untouched

I'd guess it's not so much not being able to see them, but the difficulty will probably be in reading them when moving. But, of course, the stock doesn't spend all it's time running and is often stationary at stations, in fiddle-yards, in carriage sidings and when the layout is not being operated. Plus with N gauge the models are small and easily held in the hands so are often held close to one's eyes to inspect and appreciate them. And even on layouts at exhibitions behind barriers, modern digital cameras/phones makes it easy to photograph and zoom in on the models. 

Also I would imagine that it will be obvious that the numbers are missing (and even when running), so perhaps having the coaches supplied already with a number on them would be more preferable than none, especially if most owners won't bother to apply the numbers provided. And for those that would add them then it shouldn't be an issue to remove the digits to be replaced. 

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hattons just posted a video showing latest EP and livery artwork.

Unfortunately the artwork for blue and grey livery shows the CDL lights that shouldn't be there...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’m unsure about those myself but I would believe they would be for departmental/charter use. It’s actually Fastline instead of Serco. Doesn’t make much sense to me to offer those as they are very obscure wagons (To the point of people not knowing about their existence) and to offer those instead of a livery like Caledonian Sleeper green is an interesting decision.

• Agree 1

In terms of the teal livery it may be that CS won't give approval for something they have got rid of. I remember somebody from Farish saying that BR would not give permission for the 158 to be produced in the original 'express' livery only the current (at the time) Regional Railway livery.

• Agree 2

What is more baffling for me is no branded or "unbranded" FirstGroup CS. The FirstScotrail livery was long lived and the unbranded ones are suitable for the end of the First/DBC days and the first 4 or so years of GBRF operation including all of the traction used by GBRF such as 67s/86s already in the range.

Edited by m0rris
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, m0rris said:

What is more baffling for me is no branded or "unbranded" FirstGroup CS. The FirstScotrail livery was long lived and the unbranded ones are suitable for the end of the First/DBC days and the first 4 or so years of GBRF operation including all of the traction used by GBRF such as 67s/86s already in the range.

Of course, this could be due to an exclusive agreement with a retailer? (Nudge nudge, wink wink) ☺️ 

KMS 2mm ExclusivesIMG_0104.png.93c23346eb7e381e36d0455560d319f0.pngIMG_0101.png.8c925b3880eaeba3ae5d258251bee3cb.pngIMG_0102.png.f55bc3360bc831b52e97c999bafa9f42.pngIMG_0103.png.2db7349e8bfd32c7769d3ce945c84b2e.png

Edited by KMS Railtech
Images attached
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ahhhhhhh, that makes sense!

I get not offering the teal, as there are only 2 mk3s so painted IIRC, although I suspect many people either don't know that or don't care, and would have a whole rake. But doing the short lived CS purple, which Farish have had in the range.

The obvious hole was the First CS livery, so good that's coming! Just need someone to do Farish mk2s to match... ;-)

Edit: you’re doing both, even better! Link wasn’t there when I posted!

Edited by njee20

1 minute ago, njee20 said:

Ahhhhhhh, that makes sense!

I get not offering the teal, as there are only 2 mk3s so painted IIRC, although I suspect many people either don't know that or don't care, and would have a whole rake. But doing the short lived CS purple, which Farish have had in the range.

The obvious hole was the First CS livery, so good that's coming! Just need someone to do Farish mk2s to match... ;-)

Yes, the Mk2s in 2, 4 and 7mm are definitely needed!

We hope the 3 twin packs we've selected are of interest to most modern modellers! Although we've gone for the First branded liveries, they should still go well with the latest Stag pack, or even the Purple Swoosh too!

On 05/06/2020 at 11:05, bmthtrains - David said:

Does anyone have any info about the Jarvis and Serco liveries? I can’t say I’ve seen/heard of these before.

David 

There was at least 1 coach used with the original track renewal train. Saw it sitting at Bescot once many years ago, it was in the Jarvis colours then.

On 06/06/2020 at 08:48, KMS Railtech said:

Of course, this could be due to an exclusive agreement with a retailer? (Nudge nudge, wink wink) ☺️ 

KMS 2mm Exclusives

Hi!

The livery artworks for the Scottish sleepers look smart.

One thing that jumps out though, I think all the First Scotrail sleepers had blue ends, with the white stripe at cantrail height wrapping around. Presumably applies to the Serco livery too, as it was a vinyl job on the sides only, I see you have the white stripes on the ends on this one.

Apologies if some had black ends, it's not a train that's local to me so reliant on a bit of Google!

Cheers!

Jo

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2020 at 12:18, John M Upton said:

Unfortunately the artwork for blue and grey livery shows the CDL lights that shouldn't be there...

perhaps they've copied this 2012 repaint?

35921762752_459d386c19_w.jpgM10588 SLEP MK3 Sleeper coach. Inverness TMD. 27-3-2012 by locoman1966, on Flickr

I'm still in two minds about upgrading my Farish Mk3 sleepers. Whilst I'd prefer Intercity to Blue/grey I'm modelling one of the secondary services (Euston-Manchester/Liverpool) and I'd also have to replace the Mk2s and BGs that make up the rest of the train.

Steven B.

On 05/06/2020 at 15:58, m0rris said:

Licensing issues?  Either a refusal or a delay, or perhaps a retailer exclusive.  Any of these is possible.

Les