Dapol Announce N gauge Mk.3 Sleepers

MGR Hooper!

The Dapol Mk3 catering car was a compromise and is not right for any of them.

As initially produced it covered:-

Mk3 TRSB GK401 and conversions to GN401, GN102, GK103

Mk3a RFM (ex Mk3 TRUKs) 10200-10211

Mk3a RFM (ex Mk3a RUBs) 10230-10260

Its not to far from a MK3 TRUK/TRFK and has been used for the Prototype HST 10000 TRB and 10100 TRUK

The end is a mish-mash of bits.  It's also wrong for any of the fGW RFM coaches as they look to all be ex Mk3a FO RFMs, 10212-10229.

Still doesn't justify not doing the ends correctly

• RMweb Premium

It seems that the potential bargain bin fodder departmental maroon ones (both the same coach in reality!) have now arrived with some retailers but still no sign of the blue/grey which I want but am starting to worry about what shade of blue will have been used now.

Dapol seems to be a bit of a lottery...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It seems that the potential bargain bin fodder departmental maroon ones (both the same coach in reality!) have now arrived with some retailers

Seems bizarre that Dapol would rush-out what will surely be the least popular of the sleeper liveries.... I am left increasingly bewildered by Dapol’s ‘game plan’ for N gauge.... 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, JR_P said:

Seems bizarre that Dapol would rush-out what will surely be the least popular of the sleeper liveries.... I am left increasingly bewildered by Dapol’s ‘game plan’ for N gauge.... 

Standard for Dapol and Farish. Provide only the worst liveries first so they sell, then bring out the more popular ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JR_P said:

Seems bizarre that Dapol would rush-out what will surely be the least popular of the sleeper liveries.... 

I guess that's one thing we can never be absolutely sure of - which are the least popular and which are the most popular of various liveries of particular subjects, especially those not produced before and where production isn't solely based on pre-orders. We probably all have our own favourites and requirements.

Nonetheless, they'll probably all sell (at least over time) and one would like to think that they will learn from turkeys that don't sell for future production. 

• RMweb Premium

If those silly maroon ones do get knocked down cheap, I expect they will get scooped up for many a conversion project.

EPS generator cars are the first thing that springs to mind...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

What shades of Intercity grey are those supposed to be?  Also despite the later o/h warning stickers, they missed off the orange cant rail line...

EDIT - Just noticed there are quite a lot of markings missing off the livery.  One for a detailing up project rather than ready to run I think.

I intended to buy an IC one to Scotrail blue stripe it (there was one) but I reckon there could be a complete repaint on the cards looking at that.

Any sign of the blue/grey versions yet?

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

What shades of Intercity grey are those supposed to be? 

To be fair, the image does look rather over exposed which will affect the shades of grey.

That doesn't excuse the white line being too thick...

Who's going to be first to ask RailTec to do a correction pack?

Does anyone want to contribute to a fund to send Dapol a full set of Railmatch/Phoenix Paints and a copy of the Fox Transfers catalogue?

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, grahame said:

Is it a photo of a final production example as on sale in shops. Or is it an older incompletely decorated pre-production sample?

The photo is from the Rails Of Sheffield listing, so safe to assume it’s a final production example. https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Dapol-2p-006-002-br-intercity-executive-mk3-sleeper-coach-no10701

Tom. 

9 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

So:

- Silver window surrounds missing.

- Sleeper text missing from beside the doors.

INTERCITY lettering looks like a homemade attempt rather than using the official font?

- Door locking lights not painted.

- And STILL they think Executive and Swallow are the same thing. 

Going well then. I thought Hornby were bad at times. :laugh_mini:

But joking aside, none of this is acceptable in a world where anyone can find a multitude of photographs to work from within minutes or even seconds of going on the internet!

Whilst I agree on the Window Surrounds and the Door Locking lights, I think you'll find that the 'Sleeper' Text is on the coach, I've circled it on this image, it looks like that says 'Sleeper' to me anyway.

received_594916798214606.jpeg.59ab8bcf10553425f37025b1069f2244.jpeg.bece4e1b9ad736d6e84e92b972995be3.jpeg

Regards

Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Oh yes I can see it now on that end. I'm almost certain they had the text at both ends though...

Screenshot_20211007-160813~3.png

Mmm wondering then if some coaches had 'Sleeper' at one end and some at both ends?? Because the photo used in the Dapol literature only seems to have it at one end.

Regards

Neal.

Edited by Calnefoxile

• RMweb Gold

Livery issues notwithstanding, at £27 quid a pop, they are very good value and will be improved nicely with a set of Railtec lettering.

I'm planning a couple of Mk3s for the Fort William sleeper circa 1988 but will probably do my own vinyl sides on stripped down GF bodies.

5 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

Livery issues notwithstanding, at £27 quid a pop, they are very good value and will be improved nicely with a set of Railtec lettering.

Agreed Adam,

I'm waiting for the BR Blue ones to arrive, surprised they're not in the first batch!!!

Cheers

Neal.

The failure to apply window surrounds is bizarre given that these are on other Dapol MK3 stock. Does ANYBODY check stuff before it goes into production these days? These look even dafter than the Pacer...

This is just basic stuff - even a five year old child could see this mistake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, fezza said:

The failure to apply window surrounds is bizarre given that these are on other Dapol MK3 stock. Does ANYBODY check stuff before it goes into production these days? These look even dafter than the Pacer...

This is just basic stuff - even a five year old child could see this mistake.

Maybe they were made to a pricepoint, one that didn't allow for the printing masks to be produced. They are cheap and would be classed as 'Railroad' in Hornby speak?

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

It's very faint in the picture above but it is there. You can also see it on the coach next to it but you do have to really zoom in.

Lima and Hornby also printed it on both ends on both sides so I assume this was the livery specification. Granted there may have been an odd one missing here and there but that would certainly have been the exception rather than the norm.

Do Railtec do transfers... :laugh_mini:

Looking at a photo of the real coach 10701 on Flicker it appears that there was only a single "sleeper" on this side. Admittedly the photo I found was from 2009 in "preservation". https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob37430/6765973043 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

Hi John I think the Sleeper with the blue stripe was actually a BR Blue stripe rather than the ScotRail light blue?

There was a couple of threads on here a while back discussing it and one had a picture, but sadly the photo link doesn't work anymore.

I'm 99% sure Captain Elektra did some graphics for it?!

I did indeed. :) The blue stripe was Rail Blue, rather than the traditional Provincial Light Blue but otherwise in Standard Exec livery. The coaches were 10578 and 10610 if anyone fancies a go.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Kris said:

Looking at a photo of the real coach 10701 on Flicker it appears that there was only a single "sleeper" on this side. Admittedly the photo I found was from 2009 in "preservation". https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob37430/6765973043 

The spec was to have the word Sleeper at each end, though there must have been numerous occasions where this was not followed. It always pays to find a good selection of photos if you can. At least, when I mess up, it's a case of modify the artwork, a quick run through the printer and the cost of a stamp.