MGR Hooper!

Dapol Announce N gauge Mk.3 Sleepers

Thanks Jack - doesn't sound like we will see Q2 2019 as per the original announcement though!

From today's open day.

The sleepers have been delayed to allow some extra liveries to be included in the run.

Decoration samples will be here in about 6 weeks.

They will be supplied UNNUMBERED with decal sheets to allow people to make rakes of coaches that might not sell profitably if split into different numbered coaches.

Unpainted samples were on display.

Les

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/09/2019 at 22:47, Les1952 said:

From today's open day.

The sleepers have been delayed to allow some extra liveries to be included in the run.

They will be supplied UNNUMBERED with decal sheets to allow people to make rakes of coaches that might not sell profitably if split into different numbered coaches.

Les

This is the first sensible thing Dapol have done in ages!

On 22/09/2019 at 03:17, Les1952 said:

From today's open day.

Les

Hope these sell well. If the past is anything to go by, models sold unnumbered and with a decal sheet seem to have been slow sellers. I'm surprised Dapol are going ahead with this. Hope it works out for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scoobyra said:

This is the first sensible thing Dapol have done in ages!

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hope these sell well. If the past is anything to go by, models sold unnumbered and with a decal sheet seem to have been slow sellers. I'm surprised Dapol are going ahead with this. Hope it works out for them.

Yep, that is a surprise. And I'm not convinced it's necessarily a sensible thing. When they offered an unnumbered N gauge class 73 in blue it was, apparently, a very poor seller.

• Agree 1

I think an unnumbered carriage will be a different kettle of fish to an unnumbered loco. Most enthusiasts seem to be loco centric, and the numbers on coaching stock are also a lot smaller. Besides, if it's not printed at the factory, it'll mean Dapol don't print hugely oversized numbering in them like on most of their other coaching stock. 

And if they don't sell... I'll be ready and waiting to pick them up cheap to repaint

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 21/09/2019 at 22:47, Les1952 said:

Indeed.... I was rather surprised that their original announcement didn’t include FGW ‘dynamic lines’ Night Rivera, or First Scotrail Caledonian Sleeper, but did have the Jarvis livery.

Assuming they’re adding the two obvious liveries, that’s a good move....

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I think an unnumbered carriage will be a different kettle of fish to an unnumbered loco. Most enthusiasts seem to be loco centric, and the numbers on coaching stock are also a lot smaller. Besides, if it's not printed at the factory, it'll mean Dapol don't print hugely oversized numbering in them like on most of their other coaching stock. 

And if they don't sell... I'll be ready and waiting to pick them up cheap to repaint

Jo

Also perhaps that a numbered version will not be offered against an unnumbered will be a good thing.

I could understand someone buying the numbered version over an unnumbered one, but will someone who wants a mk3 sleeper really pass just because there are no numbered versions available?

I’m all for unnumbered coaching stock personally, as it saves loads of work and worry removing factory applied numbers, but then I like to renumber my coaching stock individually.  Oddly, don’t care about it with the freight stock though!

Paul

• Agree 1

Given the size of the numbers on the models anyway how many of us will actually see them especially when running? I bet a few go onto layouts with the number sheet untouched

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

Given the size of the numbers on the models anyway how many of us will actually see them especially when running? I bet a few go onto layouts with the number sheet untouched

I'd guess it's not so much not being able to see them, but the difficulty will probably be in reading them when moving. But, of course, the stock doesn't spend all it's time running and is often stationary at stations, in fiddle-yards, in carriage sidings and when the layout is not being operated. Plus with N gauge the models are small and easily held in the hands so are often held close to one's eyes to inspect and appreciate them. And even on layouts at exhibitions behind barriers, modern digital cameras/phones makes it easy to photograph and zoom in on the models. 

Also I would imagine that it will be obvious that the numbers are missing (and even when running), so perhaps having the coaches supplied already with a number on them would be more preferable than none, especially if most owners won't bother to apply the numbers provided. And for those that would add them then it shouldn't be an issue to remove the digits to be replaced.