RevolutioN Announces Crowdfunded N Gauge Class 128

MGR Hooper!

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/revolution-aims-for-special-delivery/

Revolution Trains is offering the Class 128 Diesel Parcels Unit as its first powered model aimed that the transition era enthusiast.

Ten units were introduced in 1959 – six for the Western region with gangways and split headcode boxes, four for the London Midland region with centre headcodes and centre windows.

We hope to offer both variants, but of course only those receiving enough pre-orders will go into production.

2-W559XX-green-1024x190.jpg

Western region version in original livery with green ends and speed whiskers.

3-M559XX-green-SYP-1024x190.jpg

Small yellow panels on Midland region version.

6-W55XXX-early-blue-1024x190.jpg

Early BR Blue Western region variant retaining white cab roof.

7-M559XX-blue-1024x190.jpg

Midland version in standard BR Blue livery.

9-M559XX-RM-red-1024x190.jpg

Royal Mail red introduced during sectorisation era.

The images above are for illustrative purposes and do not necessarily indicate the final selection of liveries and versions.

If there are sufficient early orders then we hope to begin CAD design work imminently and will be opening the order book soon to allow those who wish to support this proposed model to do so, though as ever we can only proceed to tooling and production once the required minimum order threshold has been reached.

• Like 6

I saw them in all three liveries, although never photographed one in green. It's going to be hard not to buy more than one of these.

post-4406-0-76638500-1536458227_thumb.jpg

M55990 in blue seen at Manchester Victoria on 8 September 1972

post-4406-0-32588200-1536458326_thumb.jpg

W55991 in Royal Mail red sitting at the buffer stops in Paddington on 13 March 1989.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested in the time they spent as "locos" on the Cambrian. Would I be correct in thinking this would be Midland type?

I saw one of the Midland ones at Aberystwyth in the mid-80s hauling two Dogfish.

Did these ever, even once run .....along the Hereford and Worcester line?

Reading's pair (W55991 and W55992) very occasionally substituted for a power car in a Pressed Steel 117 unit, and Reading's 117s worked along the Cotswold line to Hereford, so it's not completely inconceivable, although the reduced seating in the formation makes it unlikely for such a lengthy journey. I once had 128 haulage from Reading to Oxford on a Saturday in the early 1980s - the formation was 117 DMS, 117 TC, 128. Sitting in the rear seat in the TC placed me just a few feet from the rasping exhausts of the 128. Reading's Pressed Steels tended to purr along, but the higher-powered 128s were much more vocal, so I thoroughly enjoyed the noisy restarts from each of the Thames Valley stations.

David

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

“Soon” according to the press release in post #1 above

I for one would submit interest/orders for two but cannot find anymore info on where/how to do so on the Revolution website sadly, this is inspite of this wording as part of the announcement. "If there are sufficient early orders then we hope to begin CAD design work imminently and will be opening the order book soon to allow those who wish to support this proposed model to do so, though as ever we can only proceed to tooling and production once the required minimum order threshold has been reached."

So assume this may have been dropped already, I hope not, but as the announcement at Warley today suggests other things in Revolution's pipeline, I am concerned the class 128s may go the way of their Class 21/29 project if folk cannot show interest officially.

Come on Ben and team give us some news, please?

Kevin