RevolutioN Announces N Gauge VEA Van

MGR Hooper!

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/vea-makes-an-explosive-entrance/

Revolution Trains is offering the VEA airbraked van in N gauge as its first non-crowdfunded model.

Instead, this model will be available to buy through retailers in the usual way.

The models have already been tooled and painted samples were unveiled at The International N Gauge Show. Images will appear here in due course.

1-1024x577.jpg

First EP sample

These vans feature NEM couplers in kinematic sockets, high levels of detailing on the underframe and separate brass buffers and metal door handles.

4-1024x719.jpg

The model offers our usual high levels of underframe detailing.

The VEA vans were converted from BR Vanwides from 1978-1983 and designed to offer an airbraked wagon for MoD munitions and supplies that could negotiate the tight curves at some Army bases.

As well as running in short block trains on their own, they also operated in short cuts with a wide mix of other wagons in BR Speedlink mixed freight trains.

They were in widespread use until the mid 1990s and after that still saw service in MoD sidings or depots – in this scenario making them the ideal accompaniment to the N Gauge Society’s forthcoming Hunslet industrial shunter.

The models are being produced in the following liveries:

BR Railfreight maroon as applied to the first 50:

9A0A9EAA-A7A6-43CD-9666-04491761A8B6.jpe

BR Railfreight red/grey as applied to most of the rest:

67F21643-F472-46AC-BA1E-7BDA4C896E6E.jpe

RfD dark grey/yellow:

470423D6-3D11-4F33-9079-1DD14C5FB1DE.jpe

For each variant several different numbers will be offered, with correct variations in the style and location of BR symbols, warning patches etc.

by Sonic Models, a new Chinese manufacturer looking to increase their profile in the British market.

Sonic-logo-1024x292.jpg

Weathered models are also set to join the range.  We will be giving more information about where to obtain these models shortly.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if they'll also be making the earlier Vanwide with the original suspension?

Apparently there are no plans to do Vanwides at the moment, according to comments on another forum. 

Hi Bennyboy,

Sorry, at the moment no plans for the earlier version as there is already a kit from the NGS.

Other liveries are under consideration - am I correct in thinking the stores version was in internal MoD use only?

Cheers

Ben A.

'Rail Stores' was the CM&EE's equivalent to Civilink, intended to distribute loco, MU and rolling stock spares to depots and wagon repair facilities. It was short-lived, partially because of the demise of Speedlink, and partially as the central stores were taken over by Quinton Hazell, who were road vehicle spares manufacturers and distributors.

I don't think any Vanwides made it into the 'Rail Stores' fleet; the short-wheelbase vehicles were VVBs and VPBs originating in the WR's air-brake test train.

The MoD did acquire a number of Vanwides/ VEAs, but strictly for internal use.

Hi Bennyboy,

Sorry, at the moment no plans for the earlier version as there is already a kit from the NGS.

Other liveries are under consideration - am I correct in thinking the stores version was in internal MoD use only?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

While it is true that the NGS do the Vanwide in kit form, and great value it is, the model (I have three) is only available to members and simply not anywhere near the same league as the RTR example of the VEA shown here..

The NGS kit is quite basic, has no separate fittings, no NEM pockets or close coupling, a Peco chassis with compromises and nothing like this level of underframe detail. Also, the livery is only as good as the maker can manage.

On the plus side the NGS kit is very affordable, and no doubt this rather exquisite model's price will reflect the quality seen here so, arguably this model if backdated to a Vanwide would be targeting a much wider and different Market?

Regards

Roy

• Like 2

Hi Ben

While it is true that the NGS do the Vanwide in kit form, and great value it is, the model (I have three) is only available to members and simply not anywhere near the same league as the RTR example of the VEA shown here..

The NGS kit is quite basic, has no separate fittings, no NEM pockets or close coupling, a Peco chassis with compromises and nothing like this level of underframe detail. Also, the livery is only as good as the maker can manage.

On the plus side the NGS kit is very affordable, and no doubt this rather exquisite model's price will reflect the quality seen here so, arguably this model if backdated to a Vanwide would be targeting a much wider and different Market?

Regards

Roy

Absolutely, the NGS kit is adequate, but using the Peco chassis is immediately compromised as well as lacking detail as its all moulded, and this new RTR offering is in a completely different class - beautiful

Please, please, please backdate it to a Vanwide. Even though the colour variations are limited there could still be at least 3 versions with pre and post 64 lettering as well as TOPS era. I'd definitely have a few

Edited by D1059

I think its safe I will be getting some of those in the Railfreight red/grey livery, they are simply stunning. If you removed the rapido couplers you would easily mistake for 4mm.

Edit, just found this photo on Flickr for a suitable formation including VEAs taken in 1990, hmmm could run some retro freight services on Dallam.

43223474112_b34c574b37_b.jpg47378 at Warrington Bank Quay by borg379, on Flickr

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 4

Given that first example I hope that Sonic Models and Revolution have a shopping list of other wagons to follow.

Echoing other comments, they look like 4mm models with the wrong coupling on - like the Bachmann Models which they used to photoshop an Elsie coupling onto for the catalogue.

I think its safe I will be getting some of those in the Railfreight red/grey livery, they are simply stunning. If you removed the rapido couplers you would easily mistake for 4mm.

Simon

I was just going to say that Ben is trying to con us all by sticking oversized couplers on the old Hornby model. :D

are any available to order with any suppliers yet?

Tim

I believe we are still awaiting final details of exactly models will be produced. The liveries are known, but not how many different numbers and any detail differences. Patience, I am sure Ben and Mike will know when everything goes live.

• Like 1

I believe we are still awaiting final details of exactly models will be produced. The liveries are known, but not how many different numbers and any detail differences. Patience, I am sure Ben and Mike will know when everything goes live.

Details already announced in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137238-revolution-announce-at-class-128-vea-cemflos-ipa-and-tanktainers-more-pendos-and-teas/

and reproduced here

"The models will be produced in these formats and liveries:

BR Railfreight Maroon – 230011, 230019. 230026, 230034, 230049.

BR Railfreight Red Grey – 230060, 230063, 230117, 230156, 230443

BR RfD dark grey/yellow – 230142, 230498, 230523.

Weathered variants will also be offered.

RRP for this model is £19.50."

They are quite exquisite, the price for that level of detail is (I think) very reasonable. I wish I could justify some, but they are out of era for me. I do hope they are a success though.

I will keep hoping that in time the manufacturer might decide to consider the Vanwide too.

Roy

Wandering round Quainton Railway Centre this afternoon, although 6989 Wightwick Hall is looking splendid and now only a month or so from its test steaming, I was for once paying more attention to wagons. Imagine my delight when I discovered 2 VEAs on site. The first was outside, against a loading dock so no underframe visible, the second inside their museum and a bit of a challenge to photograph. Both according to the narrative with them went to MOD Bicester after withdrawal by BR, and found their way to Quainton after that. I hope these illustrate what a great job has been done of the N Gauge one.

post-4469-0-45336400-1537113852_thumb.jpgpost-4469-0-01977500-1537113874_thumb.jpgpost-4469-0-61172700-1537113905_thumb.jpgpost-4469-0-16797300-1537113931_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks superb - I am no expert on wagons, but maybe there is an opening here for RevolutioN to release the detailed chassis on its own?  Ok it would be completing with Peco, but from the comments passed here and the photos of the underside, there appears to be no comparison.  That may be a further way to get additional income out of the existing tooling.

Well done to everyone at RevolutioN btw, as somebody said to think this is N gauge shows just how far things have come!

Richie