RevolutioN Announeces N Gauge IPA Wagons

MGR Hooper!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

We've received samples of two of the three types of car carrier we are offering in N.  

These are the plain flat, and flat types with stakes, operated by STVA and used primarily for larger SUVs and light commercial vehicles between car plants, terminals and docks.

The models are being produced with the cooperation of owners STVA and feature the usual refinements such as separate wire and photo-etched metal details, NEM couplers in kinematic mounts and blackened metal wheels.  The decks are made of cast metal for weight.

The order book remains open for these models; once these samples have been assessed the next step is completing the livery diagrams and preparing final decorated samples.

IMG_9900.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Felix,

They're 182mm over buffers.  We have received EP1 samples now of the first two types - flat, and flat with stakes - and these are being assessed.

IMG_9900.jpg.ad639b395ee483d73aaf95fb9fcd3be0.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg.5c0ddf74e0e5d55da60c83f4aa713517.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg.ea193777a3c17435d0bb6f8a86e018eb.jpg

The tread plate between the wagons is photo-etched, and the deck is die-case metal for weight.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another fantastic looking model Ben! I've got a quad set on order but seriously considering picking up a non covered set as well now. Do you have any idea when orders will be closing on these? 

Thanks, 

Tom.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TomE said:

Do you have any idea when orders will be closing on these?

Hi Tom,

From the RevolutioN website:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/car-carriers-dazzle/

Revolution will be attending the International N Gauge show at the Warwickshire Exhibition centre on September 14th and 15th and these samples will be on display….

…Immediately after the show we will be closing the order book for the HOA hoppers which are ready for production; we anticipate the car carriers will follow them around 6-8 weeks later in an effort to give our valued customers a little breathing space!

Also on that page is a close-up of the flat with stakes showing very fine lettering:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/IMG_1225-1024x516.jpg

and there's an additional Ben A post on the NGF for the covered carrier:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/80/94-200819165624-80671941.jpeg

One detail that I'm particularly pleased with is that they've even painted the insides to represent the canvas loops holding the side sheets to the vertical posts.

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

They look the right colour to me, and we specified the RAL colour given to us by STVA.  The photos are just snapped on an iphone so not necessarily the best!

If you can make it why not come and see them for yourself at The International N Gauge show next month, or at Warley in November, then decide?

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, matt-b said:

They look a great model but from pictures I've seen, the "As new" livery seems to be more red whereas your models seem more brown? 

There is a good colour comparison shot on the RevolutioN webpage with an EWS Class 66 hauling some red wagons.

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/car-carriers-dazzle/?fbclid=IwAR01frH54OFUV8oJ8-4zHAo5Djyho5Ok81QEd4adX_BYoWW-s3nf6saDE3U

• Thanks 1

Has anyone seen detailed photos of how the IPAs would have looked in 1997? The grey livery looks like the right one from the period. I can't seem to find an exact date the strakes were added or any older photos (plenty of photos and info online from about 2003/4 onwards). The only services I've seen during the 90s looked like they were all without strakes, but the model with strakes adds some interest and I was wondering if there is anyway I can justify adding one or two sets with stakes to the rake. 

I am going to attempt to replicate something similar to the train in this video at 27min14secs. Unfortunately my budget has a limit and I won't be able to afford a full length train and I am only using it is a rough starting point.

Any detailed photos from the mid to late 90s would be a great help for detailing and weathering. 

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Having seen the new groupeCAT blue livery, I was wondering if there was a picture of the model out there anywhere, or if it will be production samples only. If so, I would love to see one as I have changed my order to this. For those who don’t know, here is a drawing of the new livery. According to the website these were repainted just as the N gauge models went into production and an agreement with the factory was reached allowing 200 models of those to be added on with the co-operation of groupeCAT, who bought STVA. Thanks!EAC07225-AFF8-4B6C-9D23-7532F6571589.jpeg.7906820f062cff87f2dca73d67cf900c.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

just got mine fantastic models they are :D

I was a bit disappointed when i opened the box (but not for long) as i thought they where my KUA flask wagons got a dispatch note for them the other day but not had one for these 

John one happy modeler 

• Thanks 1

Congratulations AGAIN to Mike and Ben.

Mine have arrived and they are superb. They run beautifully as well.

The red rake looks amazing, fully loaded with 24 transit vans. Only the low roof vans will fit inside the covered IPAs.

Cheers,

Ged.

• Thanks 2

Hi Ben and Mike,

Wow, a fantastic model. Beautifully fine detail and printing, excellent running and exactly to scale. Well done all involved, the CAD engineers, toolmakers and yourselves. I have just a single twin set (it was a rare sight at Shirebrook) but so good I really would like at least one more-thank you.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 2

I've just given a few of mine a test run. Lovely smooth runners, cracking detail on the models. Decoration is superb, I think these are the best Revolution models I own. Whilst they might not have the wow factor of the huge KUAs, they are lovely little wagons.

Only thing to watch is the long term longevity of the stakes on those so fitted as they look to be moulded as part of the side and liable to snap if damaged, rather than separate parts, but I'll just have to make sure they don't go down the stairs like the HOAs did :D

Looking forward to getting them loaded, weathered and building a layout for them.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My 4 sets arrived yesterday. My layout does not lend itself to showing off wagons with much of the track viewd through gaps between buildings etc. So some static photos.

6e587610.jpg

6c602c10.jpg

dd09ac10.jpg

6fd60610.jpg

The running quality is absolutely superb. The bar couplings within the sets look like couplings and air hoses. Spare bar couplers and standard Rapido couplers included with each wagon.

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1