Ankh Morpork Light Railway

bridgiesimon

not a lot to tell, it is Chinese I think, no English on the instructions at all and to 1:110 scale allegedly. it is thin plywood and laser cut with wooden dowel for the masts and cotton for the rigging.

As the layout will have a dock side at the front, some suitable ships will need to be included so the aim is to use the hull from this kit and scratch build some form of top for it. 

Maybe something like this - 

https://www.ebay.com/p/Model-Ship-Kit-by-OcCre-The-san-Juan-Felucca/841467635

I have to admit that I have my eye on one of the Merchantman ship models from Ainsty Castings for the layout though at £65 tis not cheap for a bit of scenery, but ooo tis bootiful!!

https://www.ainstycastings.co.uk/product/merchantman/

Their Sloop is loverly as well!

https://www.ainstycastings.co.uk/product/sloop/

Got a week off now so will be finalising the track plan and design for the timber work ready to make a start soon!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Without going back through the thread (it may have been posted previously!) This almost has to be a prototype scene for Ankh Morpork or another of Sir Terry Prachet's cities / towns/ hamlets/ places

Ankh Morpork.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon

As a recent discoverer of rmweb and a soon-to-be (hopefully) returner to railway modelling I missed Hobbiton End when it came out, but found it recently and was totally enchanted. I first read The Hobbit when I was 8 and the LOTR when I was 11 (many, many years ago).  To capture the spirit of the LOTR, particularly The Shire, was a real achievement and I'm not surprised you won those Best In Shows. 

I'm also a big Pratchett fan (although I didn't like Raising Steam as I think it was ghost-written - it's too different from his normal style). Having seen Hobbiton End I'm sure that the AMLR is in safe hands and I'm sure that you'll do an amazing job of recreating a little bit of Ankh Morpork (although maybe not the smell - it could cut down on the number of invitations you get to shows). 

May I make a couple of suggestions about motive power? Earlier on in this thread you mentioned the possibility of a golem-powered crane. Is this a good use for a golem? They can work tirelessly all day. How about a golem-powered engine? Something like a railway handcart with a golem working the handle, and possibly a cab for a human driver whose only function is to shout instructions. A little bell on the roof could be used to warn people of the engine's approach, as Feet Of Clay doesn't make any mention of golems being able to whistle.

And for another totally Ankh-Morporkian means of motive power? Well, in our world steam engines have many different ways of firing. There's wood-burners, oil-fired, coal fired. For the AMLR, how about dragon-fired? I imagine an engine with a saddle tank and a tender with coal in it (to feed the dragons) and several dragon pens from which the little beasties could be extracted to be shoved into the firebox. The driver and fireman would obviously need the kind of flameproof dragon-keeping suit mentioned in the books.

Feel free to ignore this. I also had an idea (remembering the Patrician's views on certain forms of street entertainment) of a wagon loaded with a cage with a mime artist in it, but maybe that's going too far.

Can't wait to see more.

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, CameronL said:

A little bell on the roof could be used to warn people of the engine's approach, as Feet Of Clay doesn't make any mention of golems being able to whistle.

Ah, but of course they would be able to remember and play back a recording of a whistle ;)

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2019 at 00:57, CameronL said:

Hi Simon

As a recent discoverer of rmweb and a soon-to-be (hopefully) returner to railway modelling I missed Hobbiton End when it came out, but found it recently and was totally enchanted. I first read The Hobbit when I was 8 and the LOTR when I was 11 (many, many years ago).  To capture the spirit of the LOTR, particularly The Shire, was a real achievement and I'm not surprised you won those Best In Shows. 

I'm also a big Pratchett fan (although I didn't like Raising Steam as I think it was ghost-written - it's too different from his normal style). Having seen Hobbiton End I'm sure that the AMLR is in safe hands and I'm sure that you'll do an amazing job of recreating a little bit of Ankh Morpork (although maybe not the smell - it could cut down on the number of invitations you get to shows). 

May I make a couple of suggestions about motive power? Earlier on in this thread you mentioned the possibility of a golem-powered crane. Is this a good use for a golem? They can work tirelessly all day. How about a golem-powered engine? Something like a railway handcart with a golem working the handle, and possibly a cab for a human driver whose only function is to shout instructions. A little bell on the roof could be used to warn people of the engine's approach, as Feet Of Clay doesn't make any mention of golems being able to whistle.

And for another totally Ankh-Morporkian means of motive power? Well, in our world steam engines have many different ways of firing. There's wood-burners, oil-fired, coal fired. For the AMLR, how about dragon-fired? I imagine an engine with a saddle tank and a tender with coal in it (to feed the dragons) and several dragon pens from which the little beasties could be extracted to be shoved into the firebox. The driver and fireman would obviously need the kind of flameproof dragon-keeping suit mentioned in the books.

Feel free to ignore this. I also had an idea (remembering the Patrician's views on certain forms of street entertainment) of a wagon loaded with a cage with a mime artist in it, but maybe that's going too far.

Can't wait to see more.

Best wishes

Cam

Dragon firing's been done already, though not by Pratchett.  Oliver Postgate uses it to fire Ivor the Engine, which is why Jones the Steam doesn't need a fireman, look you...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Dragon firing's been done already, though not by Pratchett.  Oliver Postgate uses it to fire Ivor the Engine, which is why Jones the Steam doesn't need a fireman, look you...

And its cruel to use swamp dragons like that. You'll have Lady Sybil after you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Quite.  You don't want Lady Sybil after you.  Idris was of course not a swamp dragon; his exact breed is not specified but I've always assumed him to be to be a tree dragon from the Gwydir Forest.  These shy but friendly creatures are easily trained as they must learn to control and moderate their fire breathing from a very young age as living in a woodland environment and breathing fire has obvious dangers.  They can easily be trained to produce fire to order, which makes them ideal for work on steam locomotives, look you.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

Sorry, Butty. Totally forgot about Ivor, see. Still stand by golem - power - "The Flying Potsman"?:

Buildings look amazing. I have the fully-illustrated edition of "Eric" and they look like they've dropped straight out of the pages. 

All the best.

Cam

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, bridgiesimon said:

Pleased to hear you think I am going in the right direction so far guys.

Best wishes

Simon

Those words could so easily have come from Rincewind or maybe one of the more amiable trolls.  Unfortunately, on the Discworld, such words are usually followed by something peculiar!  I hope nothing Ankh Morpokian befalls you.....

• Funny 1

I don't know about that. A baseboard and stand made out of sapient pearwood could be useful. It could unload and set itself up at shows.

On the matter of suitable engine names, how about a Victorian-style 4-2-2 called  The Octiron Duke?

Regards

Cam

• Funny 1

On 10/05/2019 at 00:57, CameronL said:

although maybe not the smell - it could cut down on the number of invitations you get to shows

Why not. I'm pretty sure Foul Ole Ron attends exhibitions.

• Funny 4

Not enough Sapien Pearwood left on the disc for a whole layout, I hope to get enough for one of the cassettes for train storage, it can load and upload the trains for me then!

oh yeah, I've been to shows where Foul Ole Ron's odor has attended!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, posted before I finished it, piccies a lott bigger than I was expecting, only a small file as well, never mind. 

Simply found piccies of Persian rugs online, chucked them into Word, sized and printed.

Just need to choose a suitable figure for the shop and done!

Best wishes

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...

blooming hell doesn't time fly!!

Not a lot happened on the project until this week, new year = renewed enthusiasm!!

firstly, the next shop has been detailed and stuff for the 3rd shop in the row has been ordered and received.

721155858_shop2resized.jpg.4166ecab12f36e87556b5447097b9321.jpg

I have had a week of this week so decided to get the coaches out again to complete the two I started and to shorten the other 3 as well - 

926581130_maroonside1resized.jpg.ffd31fba9bdfb35a416f86a06470fd37.jpg

167027961_greeniescroppedsmall.jpg.303152fe72fc225edd4c88030a5b83a4.jpg

I am thinking that I should acquire another one of the baggage cars to do in green but not sure, what do you guys think?

Anyway, these were shortened by a third, 4 windows from the middle cut out so quite a bit shorter but really works for this layout I think.

Yep, lots of updates coming over the next few weeks/months!

A little off topic but I found a new supplier of details and am delighted with them - 

https://badsquiddogames.com/shop

Their selection of scenic items, although designed for 28mm wargaming would be really useful in O gauge or similar so heads up guys! I have a set of the food supplies basing kit and the cargo supplies, superb resin casting - will add piccies when painted!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 11
  • Agree 1