Ankh Morpork Light Railway

bridgiesimon

1 hour ago, rovex said:

Hope your going to have a guitar shop. How else are we going to get music with rocks in?

Interesting you should mention that, the third shop in this structure is going to be a musical instruments shop, got a few on order and am going to make a few guitars from scratch, any decent ones for the window, worse ones can go at the back hehe. Am thinking

'Glod Glodson's Shop with Rocks in'

550053632002d791ba3bfd1b6ba72c08.jpg

(Found on Pinterest - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/Az29iAEQgIUHLfjbM-F0vos/?lp=true)

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 10
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Is that a Burleigh-Garratt? Needs a mention in the "Pugbashes" thread when it's done. (Sorry, just found it already has one). Love it.  

And that rather unconventional roof is just crying out to be finished in slate with a gargoyle perched on one corner.

Best wishes

Cam

Edited by CameronL
Found it in "Pugbashes".
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is brilliant, not to mention charming!  It looks just right with the 28mm figures and chunky stock and I'm looking forward to seeing the engine build. 

Truth be told I've had thoughts of making a China Miéville layout in the same 'scale' and if that comes to fruition I'll be shamelessly cribbing ideas from this.

What are (or were) the coaches you're using?

To start with I am using shortened Bachmann coaches (piccies posted back in January, page 4 of the thread) and was aiming to add a few kits from Chivers Finelines until they ceased trading. 

I am sure that as the project develops, I will start bashing/scratchbuilding something less 'American'.

Best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A quick update, along side lots of other projects in N gauge, I know sorry! I have been painting figure for Ankh Morpork. The layout will have a decent population with several models from other suppliers on the list to acquire in the future - 

Completed so far, although the ones on the rear block need a coat of mat varnish for protection and to blend the finish.

overview.jpg.8b59491be6b0e28f079c3b31df9982b5.jpg

I work on a smaller block with a small batch of figures at a time so that I can be painting one while another is drying etc. I am finding this is quicker and less boring waiting - not one for watching paint dry! Naked lady will be mounted on the purple covered table behind her and set up with a painted in a room scene. 3 guys are identical but there is an issue finding 28mm scale seated passengers so I bought 4 of these to spread around in the coaching stock.  The guy at the front will not stay with such a garish coloured face, this is the base coat and will have several highlight layers addedd before completed.

1868762829_workingonnow.jpg.3a438aef1860be7c10445b393f3151ea.jpg

Finally for today, this is the next batch to be getting on with, some were bought already painted, they will be stripped, primed and repainted. 

1666044821_nextbatch.jpg.16de5c6329b6966d91eeeeef00506e0c.jpg

Best wishes and stay safe 

Simon

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Some seriously good work on those figures.

You mention the challenge of finding seated passenger figures in 28mm; have you thought of looking for driver figures for carts, limbers, etc?  Depending on the aesthetic you may find some useful 19th century style stuff out there.  It would be worth looking at 'Warlord Games', or 'Perry'; as they manufacture in the UK they may be able, and willing, to sell you the figures without the rest of the gubbins.

[Just a thought - see if Games Workshop still do any of their 'Mordheim' range online.  The downside is that they'll be a lot more expensive than everybody else.]

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Adding another manufacturer to list.

Glad to have found this thread!  Just re-reading my Terry Pratchett collection.  I hope you have your copy of Mrs Bradshaws Handbook or at the very least include her in your model as I am sure she would write a book on the light railway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The next set of building are now on their way, the warehouse complex for the right hand end of the layout. I bought in a pack of A3 sheets of hard foam, like polystyrene but tighter similar to insulation stuff. Anyway, it is 10mm thick rather than the 100mm thick lumps I have already so ideal for walls etc.

20200719_222629_resized.jpg.19dc0f3184bb32479ad2de0d3419d252.jpg

I marked out the parts, put out the windows and scribed the stonework before gluing and pinning together. Yes, the pins will be removed when the glue has hardened.

Am pleased with it so far but lots to do including a working crane/hoist system to lift stuff off wagons and up to the upper floors. not sure how at the mo, but Russell, electrical guru I know, and I have been talking through options.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...

defo, that was one of the first building I worked on, piccie in the first post. Will have some bare boobies hanging out of windows etc, got to be done lol, maybe a poster for a ha'penny upright?

Latest little bit of work on the upper floors over the 3 shops shown recently - 

This is the front of the building, this will sit on the shops when I have fitted the lights to the shop areas.

building.jpg.991e8a706970c1c3be83cdef39b704e8.jpg

(just noticed a slate bent over, will go and sort that in a mo)

Here are the 3 interiors now they are made up ready to go in, very minimal detail this time as the rooms only have small windows.

roomz.jpg.1c8cdfecfca091dcdc292be35e46d99a.jpg

They will install like this, with a ceiling on each with the LED lights added.

438826230_inplace.jpg.6a67319e5449f73c54be8e5266a18d06.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

mega update time, we now actually have a layout, well boards anyway but a MASSIVE step forwards - 

overall.jpg.be38fcc252dc2708ae46229e5c90f309.jpg

Now that we have the boards, I can finalise the track plan and lay it all then plan and construct the rest of the buildings which i have been waiting until now to develop. The area along the front will be the river/quayside/mud flats etc. I am thinking that a goo way to hide the board joint at the front will be with a wooden jetty sat on wooden piles slightly set at an angle over the joint with a structure on it as well as steps down to the water etc. the surface and structure then would be removable. 

Possibly this sort of an idea - 

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/530228556121799508/?nic_v2=1a2hlqHy7

Anyway, more info and piccies as we develop.

Best wishes and stay safe

Simon

• Like 15