Swapping paper to digital query

john new

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the digital trial version I am considering a swap from my current auto-renewing paper copy subscription to digital - if yes would I be are classed as a new subscriber?

I am assuming not, but the follow up question then is, presumably no minimum on-going commitment other than continuing to permit the quarterly direct debits.

Edited by john new

My understanding is that the digital subscriptions are handled by Pocketmags rather than Warner's.

You pay your money to Pocketmags and your contract is with them. That effectively makes you a "new" subscriber. There are no loyalty rewards as such, other than the fact that longstanding subscribers will almost certainly be paying less per issue.

The only benefit you will lose is the discount to Warner's shows. But I'm pretty sure that if you speak to them on the phone they could sort something out. My experience of dealing with them has always been positive.

Hope this helps!

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andrew.

Also. having just looked at the World of Railways website, it appears the digital version is only available for annual block purchases not rolling quarterly Direct Debit. Sorry, that makes it a no/no for me as blocks of nearly £45 rather than smaller one's of just under £13 do not help budget planning. You forget all about it then get stung at renewal time and find, if you then want to cancel, it is too late as you've paid up front for another year. (Been hit by that before in other instances)

Will possibly switch if the existing option for quarterly payments is introduced for digital too but for now I will be sticking with the paper edition. 

Edited by john new

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am also considering going digital.

A couple of questions

1. Once downloaded at home am I able to read it when I do not a Wi-Fi connection.when I’m away.

2. If I cease the subscription in the future do I get to keep the digital BRM copies I have purchased ?

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

2. If I cease the subscription in the future do I get to keep the digital BRM copies I have purchased ?

Eltel

You will have the files but if I've understood it correctly to be able to read those files you need proprietary software. Thus you are reliant on Pocketmags or Warners updating this software indefinitely. There is no guarantee about this. Pocketmags T&C's make clear they can stop their service at any time without compensation. If you want to be sure of having access in 5 or 10 or 20 years time then paper is still the only way to guarantee they can be read.

• RMweb Gold

Pocket mags are offering 6 months for £19.99 and £44.99 for 12 months, but if you have the Windows 10  BRM app you can get a 6 month sub (6 issues) for £20.08 and 12 months (13 issues) for £34.79 that's roughly £2.68 an issue for the annual subscription.   

The November issue is also available on the windows app for £3.49, a 50p saving over pocket mags!

I've just bought the November issue on the windows app and can also see it on the ipad with both the pocket mags app and the BRM app!

Edited by beejack