WIMRAIL 2019 - 16-17th March 2019, Wimborne, Dorset

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Parking for the show is right outside the hall but don’t put your car on the higher hard plaza over the kerb or they will have it clamped. It’s the turning immediately after the traffic lights if coming up from Wimborne. 

If the main carpark is full we have two overflows through the leisure centre car park. Beware it’s very busy so watch out for kids as you go through. 

For the overflow turn in at the traffic lights 

mapping copyright Google 

D2CBEE9B-0174-411B-930A-8D2998951EF6.jpeg.b39d161fba9e567f0d49ad6462959181.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Paul asked me to post a pic or two as a reminder that Tidworth is returning to WimRail this year four years after the layout made its debut there in 2015.

9_Thumper190203.jpg.9ebfd584c5f1cdd1db67c53a072d2256.jpg

1_47142ClayTanks_190203.jpg.c5b40b41be6752fc151ba40cf9875b9a.jpg

7_50149Clay_190203.jpg.4504e024030f639021a1a4ce4cfcc62e.jpg

Just a selection of the traction you may see this weekend.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Planning to make a trip to the show tomorrow for the first time. The layout line-up looks fantastic.

• Like 2

I visited today, a very good show in a good venue. Although I didn't  eat, the food looked good and parking was adequate this morning.

My highlight was Bournemouth West, I saw it last year as well at the Poole show and to me words can't describe how good it is, it is definitely up there with the very best, I can only think of Black Country Blues and Pempoul being anywhere near the same standard. I have to add that the 'live steam' adds some magic as well, well done Roger and the team, please exhibit a lot more times, especially locally.

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get to the show on the Saturday, and it was great. Fantastic collection of layouts. Standouts for me were Bournemouth West, Sidmouth, Wimborne and Tidworth, but the standard of all the layouts were commendably high.

I can't believe I've never discovered this show before. The venue was good, although parking was a little tight when we arrived first thing on Saturday. The food was also good (try the pasties!) and great value. Will definitely come along to a future show.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Rumbled over from Spamcan Towers this afternoon, parked OK at 1 p.m. My first 'proper' exhibition visit in best part of a decade, and very impressed; excellent selection of layouts. The two things that struck me as having changed over the last decade are the proportion of DCC sound layouts, I'm much more taken with sound now than ten years ago, and the overall high standard of the layouts. Many thanks to the organisers and exhibitors for putting on a darned good show. :drinks:BW1.jpg.e6b709bbf547970596e224d48e0bd43a.jpg

wim1.jpg

whit1.jpg

Edited by spamcan61
trying to get the hang of uploading stuff
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Terrific show, and not one I had been to before.  We had a great weekend with Bridport Town, busy both days, and plenty of visitors right up until the end.

Many excellent layouts, but star for me was Bournemouth West.  I had been waiting for the opportunity to see this layout for some time, and was very impressed.

My thanks to all the organisers.

Dave.T

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I enjoyed my visit with much to see.  Three layouts stood out and I derived much pleasure from watching them. 

Bournemouth West is magnificent:  its operation and quality of running was excellent.  The movements flowed well with the operators exercising good co-ordination, and measured in terms of entertainment it was first class.

Sidmouth is a beautiful layout:  the modelling in all respects is of the top order.  The buildings are pure joy to examine in detail.  The operation, though not at an intense pace, was smooth and sure-footed, which suits this branch line terminus very well.  Seeing locomotives that have been modelled so well, and perform as well as they look, when matched with rolling stock of equal quality makes for a combination that is captivating to watch and appreciate.

Whithorn is an attractive layout:  the whole scene draws the eye into wanting to linger and to see more.  The presentation is first class with good lighting and an effective backscene, which enhances the good modelling.    

The trade stands were perhaps dominated with second-hand items, and a greater mix might have been better.

Car parking was easy and using the refreshment facility was a pleasant experience, and one can't say that about a lot of shows!

Altogether, it was a good show, and made for a memorable visit.        

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was the best Wimborne show I've been to.

Excellent exhibits.  I'm not into steam but Bomo West was the star with several others snapping closely at its heels.

Despite being held in a school, albeit a modern one, there was lots of space to mill around.

Catering top notch.

Layout owners who were quite happy to pass on information.

Picked up some tools, scratchbuilding parts and a couple of secondhand items of stock.

Enjoyed myself so much that on the way home I remembered that I hadn't had lunch.  Now that's rare for me.

Looking forward to 2021.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There were quite a few good layouts at the Wimborne Show. I particularly enjoyed seeing Whithorn having seen most of the other good layouts before. It is one of those layouts that look better "in the flesh" than as photos in a magazine.

And a special mention for Santa Ana Gandia. Without being the most hi-fi modelling, it really captures the atmosphere of rural Spain back then. Great fun.

I do rather wish that Wimborne would focus more on just having these good layouts without bumping up the layout numbers with some that are frankly not of show quality. Less is more.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all

Just a quick thank you to Graham and his team for their hospitality this weekend, the Tidworth crew enjoyed themselves down in the bowels of the venue. Thanks to Rhys and Mike for their company for the weekend.

• Like 2

Many thanks to Graham and his team for a most enjoyable weekend at Wimrail 2019.  'Whithorn' is now safely back north after a full weekend of positive comments from those who saw it.

For myself, the star of the show was Stand 48 'Shades of Grey' in 3mm - the most atmospheric layout I have seen for many a long time.  (AM)    

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Temeraire said:

the Tidworth crew enjoyed themselves down in the bowels of the venue. 

But that had its advantages, you were right next to the Tea Room!

1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

Many thanks to Graham and his team for a most enjoyable weekend at Wimrail 2019.  'Whithorn' is now safely back north after a full weekend of positive comments from those who saw it.

Grrr, Whithorn was one of the layouts I wanted to have a good look at, but never managed it.  Please can you tell us when you are exhibiting again, or can we see it online anywhere?

Thanks very much, Dave.T

• RMweb Premium

Just to thank everybody for their comments on Bournemouth West and a big thank you to all at Wimborne club for both inviting us and for putting on a wonderful show, we all had a great time. Some really good layouts this year, I particularly liked Sidmouth, Whithorn and shades of grey. Also Wimborne itself although I'm a little biased there having played a small part in its building!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1