Bachmann Super Voyager LED Fitting

Sir TophamHatt

Part of the problem is often the question of how do you take the top of/put it back on if the lights are fitted within the body - the solution is to place the lamps where they allow the body to be removed and use light pipes to get the light from them to the outside world.

• 4 months later...

Not perfect as fairly new to this game but here's my effort. 

Managed to do without the light pipes by using 2mm tower LEDs and a 3mm round one for the headlight (all fitted directly) . They are very slightly larger than the light pipes so needed a bit of drilling out and the 3mm round one needed a bit filed of the edge of it so the tower LEDs can fit in next to it.

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

I did an HST and mounted the leds on the chassis such that the filed flat ends of the leds just touched the plastic prism thing that was behind the light covers on the body. My Class 395 was similar with a plastic prism in the body and the bicolour red/white led mounted on the chassis. A bit of shrink tube on the leds prevented light scatter.

Thanks Jamie, don't have a layout yet so have time to mess around on the workbench.

Here are snaps for a Hornby 125. Old light feed tube cut off the back of the lens. Headlights are 2mm tower LEDs mounted directly in the nose. Marker and tail lights are tower LEDs heatshrunk on to the end of 1.5mm fibre optic tube and fed trough from behind the cab.

Have others if they are of interest. Bachmann 166, Hornby Mk4 DVT, Class 47 to name a few!

Alex

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

I should have taken photos when I got round to doing mine.

I think I ended up using tower LEDs for the smaller white lights and tail lights, while the larger light used the original light pipe, but I sanded the top of the larger LED so it was flat and super glued them together.