Grundy Street

georgeT

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have returned from a two week cruise on 'Britannia' fully refreshed and rearing to go, but first a few changes in store for 'Pit Street Yard' one is the hand built track that l have been struggling with will be put in store for another project in the future, and l have ordered Peco points to replace them, and will make all the necessary alterations to them, and probably l will use SEEP motors to throw them, just keeping things nice and simple,

also on the motive power side l have heard from Jintyman who has kindly fitted my Dutch 37 with a decent sound chip / speakers  plus fit high intensity head lights is nearing completion.......

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 2

I had a few problems with Seep Motors on Pencarne, but there are many alternatives that are good, including Peco if you just want a simple snap throw, and no Frog Polarity change within the Motor.

Even Peco above baseboard Motors with a fine wire to the tie bar, and then hidden under scenery as I did on Kings Moreton in a couple of places.

Edited by Andrew P

Peter BB of this Parish, and our Club has started to use them, and he seems to like them.

I have seen them working at Shows, and I've been very impressed, but still waiting to see Peter's ones in action.

Well after a few possible track plans l think we have some idea of what l want, also l have decided on mega point servos for the point operation... should be fun..

Do these require the centre over spring? If not, consider removing the big wooden box provided by Peco. A bit of microstrip or laminated plastikard roughed up to create a grain effect glued in to restore the sleeper and you have a half decent point.

Do these require the centre over spring? If not, consider removing the big wooden box provided by Peco. A bit of microstrip or laminated plastikard roughed up to create a grain effect glued in to restore the sleeper and you have a half decent point.

Hi Doilum,  l believe you have to remove the spring from the point, haven't bought them yet still enquiring ...

Hi Doilum,  l believe you have to remove the spring from the point, haven't bought them yet still enquiring ...

Keep the Springs mate, they come in and out easily with a pair of plyers after lifting and twisting the large top cap / plank.

Be aware that the centre cover clips under the frame at one end, and pivots on a pin at the other, allowing it to swivel sideways.

There is also space inside for a Peco PL33 Frog Polarity Switch, and this is a simple 3 wire clip fit that is 100% fool proof.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi George looking good my friend glad you have had a good break.

The Meggapoints system is excellent and although it may seem a little confusing to start with you will find that it is because it's such a simple system that does a lot it appears confusing ......now you are confused aren't you  :scared:  :scared:

With the new Peco points that you have purchased you will find that the polarity change over can be achieved by putting a micro switch in the 'coffin' above the tie bar (have a look at Ramchester which shows how this works.) With regard to the centre spring it doesn't really matter if it is removed or not but if you are like me you'll find that when you fit the micro switch it will make an escape for freedom and find a part of your railway room that you cannot find  :sungum:

The Servos that you need to use are from Hobby King ( under £2 each )  and also from them you can get the servo pins / plugs along with a 'crimp' tool all this is covered in Dave Fentons video's . You must make sure that the 12v electric supply is of the smoothed type again this is covered in Dave's set up video's but it is important that the supply is right. 

I have used these Meggapoints Control on two layouts now and wouldn't go back to the old fashioned way just follow the instructions which Dave outlines and if in doubt phone him up. I have covered the fitting of the servo's in quite a lot of depth on Chumley End which might help 

Best of luck 

• Like 2

Thanks Gizmo & Andy, Although l have been into model railways all my life l have never been into the electrics of trackwork as Andy always bails me out, but my mate Ian has the mega point system so he will be assisting, but it sure looks complicated .....

Thanks Gizmo & Andy, Although l have been into model railways all my life l have never been into the electrics of trackwork as Andy always bails me out, but my mate Ian has the mega point system so he will be assisting, but it sure looks complicated .....

You build Houses and Stock, I do Scenic's and wiring, job done. Get the coffee on. :stinker:

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for the input, my other friend Mark has used micro switches as well but he is using the MERG system so l will see which is the best suited for me ?

Thinking / discussion time, over a Full English and a coffee at Wetherspoons? :no:

• Like 1