Grundy Street

georgeT

How are the servos switched?

The tortoise motors have a simple changeover switch. By seeking out a 3 or 4 gang DPDT switch (without centre off) you can provide the correct feed to the frog. Too much wiring for a large show layout, but perfect for a shunting plank.

Thanks Gizmo & Andy, Although l have been into model railways all my life l have never been into the electrics of trackwork as Andy always bails me out, but my mate Ian has the mega point system so he will be assisting, but it sure looks complicated .....

Hi George, 

I saw Dave Fenton a few years ago at the Taunton exhibition and discussed his MegaPoints system with him. 

He had various scale points on a demo board operated by the servos and non of them had the springs removed and yet all worked perfectly.

I have watched the extremely instructive videos on his YouTube channel ( definitely worth watching ) and decided to purchase the 12 servo control board a couple of weeks ago. If you have any problems whatsoever Dave is most receptive to calls for help and will talk through any difficulties or concerns with you.

I am now going to ditch my previous slow action motors and use the cheaper servo units.

Grahame

p.s. You can also get a lovely semaphore signal bounce with this unit on any of the attached servos.

( Usual disclaimers other than a very happy purchaser )

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

How are the servos switched?

The tortoise motors have a simple changeover switch. By seeking out a 3 or 4 gang DPDT switch (without centre off) you can provide the correct feed to the frog. Too much wiring for a large show layout, but perfect for a shunting plank.

The Megapoints servo board uses simple on/off switches to activate the servos. If the switch connects an input to the ground pin, the servo is in one position. If that input is disconnected, the servo moves to the other position. Simple and cheap!

To switch the frogs, have you considered the Gaugemaster unit? I use them on Offerston Quay (see here) and they are simple and reliable. The wiring (one wire to each stock rail and one to the frog) can be kept within the footprint of the turnout itself - no wiring runs back to the panel.

The Megapoints servo board uses simple on/off switches to activate the servos. If the switch connects an input to the ground pin, the servo is in one position. If that input is disconnected, the servo moves to the other position. Simple and cheap!

To switch the frogs, have you considered the Gaugemaster unit? I use them on Offerston Quay (see here) and they are simple and reliable. The wiring (one wire to each stock rail and one to the frog) can be kept within the footprint of the turnout itself - no wiring runs back to the panel.

Sounds too easy to be true!!

Must keep that in mind for future use. And, if the servos are similar in size to the ones in my live steamer, it saves having to build a four inch void under each point.

I would throw into the mix that an Arduino will also drive servos, (you must give them a supply, not use the one in the Arduino, it isn't man enough to drive the servos and the processor) and it will also drive relays.  The result of which is that you can, if you are prepared to learn a little programming, arrange all your points and crossings and signals to be servo controlled, your frog polarites to be relay controlled, and you can then apply interlocking so you can't set and signal conflicting routes.  When I get round to doing it for real, rather than just playing, I will publish the program on my Arduino thread.

It depends whether you are willing & able to learn to program, of course.  But an Arduino clone will cost a couple of quid on your favourite online auction site, and an 8-channel relay board will be a few quid more.  Its very economical.

It's another branch of the hobby.

best

Simon

• Like 1

The slight down side with the Megapoints system is that it controls 12 servos, ok if you have a lot of turnouts on one board but thats unlikely in O gauge. So you end up with either wasted channels or a lot of long inter-board connections for the servos which can sometimes be problematic with noise pickup causing the servos to twitch. I keep asking Dave to bring out a 4 channel version but it falls on deaf ears. 

Edited by tender

You can use servos for level crossing / yard gates ground signals operating doors etc 

...... and Semaphores. Come to think of it, I've got a Megapoints board lurking in a box somewhere. I might put it to use on my new o gauge layout.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

Just started to modify my Peco points with micro switches ready for laying a ping the the point spring went into orbit, does anyone know if they can be replaced ? l have looked on the web but have found nothing yet....

Finally got some track down today after losing a few springs that went into orbit and never seen again, but thankfully Andy came to the rescue as always, also got the cassettes to level up so they are in line with the layout, l found it best to cut channels for the wires under the point sleepers as when ballasted they will be hidden....

That's ANOTHER BIG BREAKFAST you owe me mate, hahha. :sungum:

Goes without saying me old mate...when ??

post-7716-0-08966400-1539898537_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-31362900-1539898683_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-18530100-1539898805_thumb.jpg

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 5

The slight down side with the Megapoints system is that it controls 12 servos, ok if you have a lot of turnouts on one board but thats unlikely in O gauge. So you end up with either wasted channels or a lot of long inter-board connections for the servos which can sometimes be problematic with noise pickup causing the servos to twitch. I keep asking Dave to bring out a 4 channel version but it falls on deaf ears.

(apologies if this is off-topic - discovered this thread when searching for "arduino").

Er ... what about this (from Jan. 2018)?

https://youtu.be/639BPAplV9k

No affiliation to Megapoints or recommendation intended.

Edited by Spartan

(apologies if this is off-topic - discovered this thread when searching for "arduino").

Er ... what about this (from Jan. 2018)?

https://youtu.be/639BPAplV9k

No affiliation to Megapoints or recommendation intended.

Well i missed that, but must admit to not speaking to Dave for some time.

Looks a bit expensive though for 4 channels, half the price of the 12 channel controller and its not clear if the relay board is included.

He says it is in the video, but not in the online shop.

Thanks for input on the points guys, l have looked at many options for changing the points and they are either too expensive or to complicated, l have some old seep motors somewhere, so l might see if they still work if l can find them ?

• Like 1

Thanks for input on the points guys, l have looked at many options for changing the points and they are either too expensive or to complicated, l have some old seep motors somewhere, so l might see if they still work if l can find them ?

Hi George,

If you're coming over on the 6th, I use a Megapoints board to operate my semaphore signals that Jon Fitness built for me. You can have a look at that, as Tender said, once you have the board the servo's are very cheap and it's quite easy to set up and operate.

Jinty ;)