Grundy Street

georgeT

Sorry 47606 have to disagree the only clean things on a well worked filthy loco was the buffer shanks and the wheel treads ?

we may agree to disagree, as this style of buffer shank would have been covered in rust, oil, grease and ash. but rule 1- its yours  :good:

Sorry 47606 have to disagree the only clean things on a well worked filthy loco was the buffer shanks and the wheel treads ?

Agree, but the only thing which looks like polished steel is polished steel.   Don't forget many drivers insisted on clean windows especially on shunting locos, even if the loco was otherwise completely filthy.    On the other hand drivers were quite often smartly turned out with clean overalls, shiny boots and clean shirts even when working on filthy locos.  ( Admittedly some looked they slept under hedges and washed their overalls every two years )

Agree, but the only thing which looks like polished steel is polished steel.   Don't forget many drivers insisted on clean windows especially on shunting locos, even if the loco was otherwise completely filthy.    On the other hand drivers were quite often smartly turned out with clean overalls, shiny boots and clean shirts even when working on filthy locos.  ( Admittedly some looked they slept under hedges and washed their overalls every two years )

-+

Thanks for the input David, l was only 12 when l first fell in love with steam and copped almost every Bulleid pacific and all manner of Southern region locos but it always fascinated me that the only clean part was the things l have mention.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening George,

Good to meet you, Mr P and Gismorail at Stafford today.  Just read right through the thread and following.  I like your colour light signals a few pages back.  

There was a question about height of signals: the red is 11’6” above rail level which is meant to be drivers eye level.  It is for a class 37 etc but not for a driver sitting in a DMU.

Paul. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Had a cracking day at the Stafford show today, meeting up with Andy, Jeff & Ade also met some more RM Webbers Gismorail (Martin) and 5BarVT (Paul) also l had the chips in both Terriers re-blow to better sounding chips and then bought a new sound chip for my newest loco, a nice little Hudswell Clark 0-6-0, so all in all a great day, even found time when l got home to finish my Railfreight grey 08, then had a play with the Terriers, and yes Andy they sound AWSOME....

DSC04694.JPG

• Like 9

Hello Ray l had a zimo one at first but it had no F2 brake on, so l was told by digitrains as long as you have a zimo chip on board they could up grade to a Paul Chetter one with better sounds and the brake, and they now sound really good, they did not need to take the chip out they just put the loco on their piece of track and upgraded it on from their computer job done £15 each....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Hello Ray l had a zimo one at first but it had no F2 brake on, so l was told by digitrains as long as you have a zimo chip on board they could up grade to a Paul Chetter one with better sounds and the brake, and they now sound really good, they did not need to take the chip out they just put the loco on their piece of track and upgraded it on from their computer job done £15 each....

Ah, cheers George, that's the sound i have in my Terrier. TBH i was a bit disappointed with it particularly as it has no light engine sounds to go with the light engine mode. It sounds pretty mediocre next to my SWD Pannier.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, 5BarVT said:

Evening George,

Good to meet you, Mr P and Gismorail at Stafford today.  Just read right through the thread and following.  I like your colour light signals a few pages back.  

There was a question about height of signals: the red is 11’6” above rail level which is meant to be drivers eye level.  It is for a class 37 etc but not for a driver sitting in a DMU.

Paul. 

Hello Paul, Great to see you too, always great to meet up with fellow members and put faces to names, thanks for the info on signal heights...

19 hours ago, tender said:

Ah, cheers George, that's the sound i have in my Terrier. TBH i was a bit disappointed with it particularly as it has no light engine sounds to go with the light engine mode. It sounds pretty mediocre next to my SWD Pannier.

Ray the new re-blown sounds are a great improvement on the original chips...

Pre-TOPS Heljan Class 25 (5191) ex-AndrewP (Bodgit) appears at Grundy Street Goods on a short ballast working, then she is onto Towyn (north wales) to meet her new owner, the weathering was applied by David (Jintyman)

DSC04695.JPG

• Like 7

08133 in Railfreight grey finished except the buffer beams need to be painted black, l managed to lose two shunting light lenses during the re-painting, but a call to DCC supplies soon replaced them...

DSC04713.JPG

DSC04715.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, georgeT said:

Hello Andy, Having heard the sounds that rat has l am very tempted, as my layout is based around south Manchester one would fit in nicely.

Hi George,

The 08 repaint looks really well done.  I may be looking at selling my 'Rat' shortly if its of any interest to you - its a BR blue Tops one weathered by Tower.  Not got round to DCC fitting it yet, so its still DC powered.  If its of any interest to you, drop me a PM - equally, no problems if not.

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Hi George,

The 08 repaint looks really well done.  I may be looking at selling my 'Rat' shortly if its of any interest to you - its a BR blue Tops one weathered by Tower.  Not got round to DCC fitting it yet, so its still DC powered.  If its of any interest to you, drop me a PM - equally, no problems if not.

Rich

Hello Rich, Thanks very much for the offer but l have enough on my plate at the moment l have just had sound chips fitted into two 37s and a 31, not cheap as you know, you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1