Grundy Street

georgeT

Hello Martin, Let the saw do the work l say, it will be worth it when its done, also  l have a set of O gauge point drawings on their way from Markway of Sheffield so l can get started on the point work, there will be no chairs on my track but l can live with that as most of the track will be over grown ?..

• Like 1

Dave and Chris Warner’s layout

They have a group called Low hill group they’ve got layouts

Low hill

Wick end

And building a layout on Grangemouth TMD

think they’re based somewhere in West Yorkshire

Hello Brian, l spent a lot of time talking to the operators, they were a great bunch of lads, the locos were superb ...

Went to a local show on Saturday at Poynton and saw a cracking layout based somewhere in Scotland 'Wick End' which had loads of  7mm diesels all well weathered with sound...very nice..

Excellent pics George, Peco Track and Points I see as well.

I like the subtle name change mate.

Nice job on the Wagon.

Thanks Andy,  l thought adding the word North tied me down a bit, now it could be anywhere in the country, l know l said around Barnsley at first but it could be any industrial area where there would be loads of run down buildings, l guess that could be most places today ?

• Like 1

Come on Ray pay attention.....Hahahaha hows those wagons coming on...

Nothing new on the wagon front, but did fit a sound decoder and speakers to my Dapol 64xx Pannier and 08. The 08 has the wrong sound file but will get it re-blown at Wigan.

Been trying to get my head around Templot to draw a track plan. Made some progress  with the main running lines but still undecided about the sidings.

• Like 1

Very nice George, how did you get on with the celly thinners then?

I can see it in the background, lurking!

Jinty ;)

Hello Jinty after our chat the other day l decided to have a go with the cellulose thinners mix, and yes it did make the paint flow a lot better as you can see, but spray painting orange onto red primer ?   well it was difficult to see at first until it was dry, but now its dry it looks much better, i think l will spray the inside of the OCA brown, should high light the orange better..Thanks for the tip David..

Nothing new on the wagon front, but did fit a sound decoder and speakers to my Dapol 64xx Pannier and 08. The 08 has the wrong sound file but will get it re-blown at Wigan.

Been trying to get my head around Templot to draw a track plan. Made some progress  with the main running lines but still undecided about the sidings.

Ray l have just ordered a box of flexi track from Marcway in Sheffeild their fine scale one as you have, ten yards for £65 reduced from £75, plus a selection of point drawings, as now l will build only the points now and NOT all the track (life's too short) l just have to build the copper clad sleepers up in the point with some plywood to match the thickness of the track height....l gave up with templot a while back...

Hello Ray l have gone for the digitrains Zimo (Paul Chetter) with a large speaker, its awsome and has the brake facility on No2 very realistic...

Templot...

Persevere...

It’s worth it!

Best

Simon

Morning Simon, i am not into computers at all l even struggle with simple DCC, l just think life too short to get involved now, so l have bought a box of track and will make the points from proper (hopefully) drawings l only need 5 or 6 for now any way...

Hello Jinty after our chat the other day l decided to have a go with the cellulose thinners mix, and yes it did make the paint flow a lot better as you can see, but spray painting orange onto red primer ?   well it was difficult to see at first until it was dry, but now its dry it looks much better, i think l will spray the inside of the OCA brown, should high light the orange better..Thanks for the tip David..

Hi George/ David

Is it a secret recipe or can it be revealed?

Wagon looks good, George!

Regards, Deano.

Hi George/ David

Is it a secret recipe or can it be revealed?

Wagon looks good, George!

Regards, Deano.

No secret Deano, Just a question of preferred mixers, l used to spray paint 3TG diesels in OO gauge many years ago for a model shop  where l used to live, but gave it u[ to do other things, marriage / kid etc etc, then l decided to return after all that time but seem to have lost my knowledge of how l did things back then, l remember using lighter fluid, for one, then l was talking to David/Jintyman and he suggested using his method of cellulose thinners thinners 50/50 and l found it works very well, l have plenty of other mixers to try out yet so we will see...

No secret Deano, Just a question of preferred mixers, l used to spray paint 3TG diesels in OO gauge many years ago for a model shop  where l used to live, but gave it u[ to do other things, marriage / kid etc etc, then l decided to return after all that time but seem to have lost my knowledge of how l did things back then, l remember using lighter fluid, for one, then l was talking to David/Jintyman and he suggested using his method of cellulose thinners thinners 50/50 and l found it works very well, l have plenty of other mixers to try out yet so we will see...

That's correct, but as for the mix, I start at 50/50 but some paints, such as Railmatch and car shop celly that I have mixed, have to be thinned a little more. Basically thin the paint so the consistency is like milk, and nice steady even coats to start with through the airbrush. I only go for a 'gun finish' coat at the very last pass.

George has got a lovely finish on that wagon.

I am somewhat lazy with painting sometimes, so colours such as Bauxite are finished with Red Primer only. This is when I tend to be weathering the wagon, as it doesn't show through, also when you look at a real train of bauxite wagons, they are all different colours.

Here is a JLTRT Ex LMS Vent Van that has been finished with Halfords Red Primer only, and then weathered

post-14906-0-58063600-1537254551_thumb.jpg

Hope that all helps

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Hi George.

Ray l have just ordered a box of flexi track from Marcway in Sheffeild their fine scale one as you have, ten yards for £65 reduced from £75, plus a selection of point drawings, as now l will build only the points now and NOT all the track (life's too short) l just have to build the copper clad sleepers up in the point with some plywood to match the thickness of the track height....l gave up with templot a while back...

I measured the height difference to be about 3mm between the Marcway track and code 124 rail on 1.6mm copper clad. 

Getting to grips with Templot now, its not that complicated as long as you don't want to do anything fancy.

Hello Ray l have gone for the digitrains Zimo (Paul Chetter) with a large speaker, its awsome and has the brake facility on No2 very realistic...

I've mounted a Mega Bass speaker in the 08 that I already had ready for the decoder.

• Like 1

Hi George/ David

Many thanks for the info. I've heard of the lighter fluid for thinning especially for lining, but never considered mixing celly thinners with enamel. I'll have to give it a go when I get my new workshop/ sprayshop built!

David, that wagon(s) looks amazing!!

Regards, Deano.

Edited by Deano747