Etch primer

oldchap58

• RMweb Gold

you do need an etch primer for nickel silver chassis if, that is, you want the chassis to stay painted and resist the effects of drifting lubrication overtime.

Clostermann grey or black every time....... :this:

post-17779-0-60070500-1536623022_thumb.jpg

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2018 at 23:50, chris p bacon said:

I would. I use Halfords etch primer, I find it very good to work with and it's not pricey.

I used to use Upol Acid 8 etch primer I bought in Halfords - it was quite expensive but very good.  When it ran out I went back to Halfords but found they had no Upol, only their own brand of etch primer so I bought a can of it.  It has turned out to be not so good.  It went on OK to an etched brass coach, though maybe a little bit heavily, and happily accepted a top coat of Precision enamel, followed some weeks later by a coat of Humbrol Satin Cote.  However, a further few weeks later I then had to apply masking tape to a section of the coach and when I took it off a few hours later some of the paint came away with it.  I blame the primer bacause the paint came away right down to the brass.  And yes, I did leave the primer for at least 24 hours and the top coats for very much longer.

DT

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torper said:

I used to use Upol Acid 8 etch primer I bought in Halfords - it was quite expensive but very good.  When it ran out I went back to Halfords but found they had no Upol, only their own brand of etch primer so I bought a can of it.  It has turned out to be not so good.  It went on OK to an etched brass coach, though maybe a little bit heavily, and happily accepted a top coat of Precision enamel, followed some weeks later by a coat of Humbrol Satin Cote.  However, a further few weeks later I then had to apply masking tape to a section of the coach and when I took it off a few hours later some of the paint came away with it.  I blame the primer bacause the paint came away right down to the brass.  And yes, I did leave the primer for at least 24 hours and the top coats for very much longer.

DT

Oh dear.   I've not experienced that yet with masking & peeling it away.

I do fibre brush the bodies and then scrub with Viakal, shiny sinks or cream cleaner to make sure there's no grease etc.  I've got some test pieces I can try and see if I replicate the same problem.