Cobalt Alpha Swiches, Encoder Unit and NCE system

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Have built a panel to control some 15 cobalt IP point motors, using the pushbutton Alpha Switches and the linked encoder units within a NCE PowerCab system. Everything works ok but at start up, the lead from the panel has to be plugged in after the NCE system has powered up.  I'm wondering if there is a way round this?  It's a little annoying especially as I have to build another panel on the same lines.  Bothered about the wear and tear on the panel sockets as well!

I spoke to Digitrains, my supplier and they confirmed they have to be started in phase. 

This throws another question - is this annoying behaviour a function of the PowerCab alone (because the PowerCab contains the command station "brains"), or does the annoyance also apply if the "brains" are moved off to another NCE component, such as the SB5 or a PowerPro system ?     If its only the PowerCab, then upgrading to the SB5 or PowerPro might be a way out. 

My experience of using switch inputs to NCE is with a PowerPro system, using NCE MiniPanels as the switch input (possibly cheaper per turnout controlled than the Cobalt system).  With that setup, there is no need to keep disconnecting things, the system is just powered on at startup and works. 

If the plugging-in annoyance has to stay, why not put an on/off switch inline with the Cab-bus lead, breaking some (or all) of the conductors in the Cab-bus ?     Also, with the PowerCab as the core system, you'll hit the maximum devices on the Cab-bus fairly quickly, so watch what happens with that. 

• RMweb Premium

This throws another question - is this annoying behaviour a function of the PowerCab alone (because the PowerCab contains the command station "brains"), or does the annoyance also apply if the "brains" are moved off to another NCE component, such as the SB5 or a PowerPro system ?     If its only the PowerCab, then upgrading to the SB5 or PowerPro might be a way out. 

My experience of using switch inputs to NCE is with a PowerPro system, using NCE MiniPanels as the switch input (possibly cheaper per turnout controlled than the Cobalt system).  With that setup, there is no need to keep disconnecting things, the system is just powered on at startucessoriesp and works. 

If the plugging-in annoyance has to stay, why not put an on/off switch inline with the Cab-bus lead, breaking some (or all) of the conductors in the Cab-bus ?     Also, with the PowerCab as the core system, you'll hit the maximum devices on the Cab-bus fairly quickly, so watch what happens with that. 

Thanks very much for your comments.  It all needs some thinking about!   Certainly the switch idea is definitely pursuing.   With regard to the max number, I assume you mean the cabs themselves not accessories.  I think it's 8-10 but luckily I got the 2 Alpha Encoder Units one address only as they are linked to together.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for your comments.  It all needs some thinking about!   Certainly the switch idea is definitely pursuing.   With regard to the max number, I assume you mean the cabs themselves not accessories.  I think it's 8-10 but luckily I got the 2 Alpha Encoder Units one address only as they are linked to together.

What cab numbers do you have?

I think the Powercab default is 02 and the encoder is 04.

No problem with my Alpha Central (which is basically an Alpha encoder and Alpha switches in a box) and Powercab with those cab numbers.