Hornby HST Lighting Diagram

MrHuge

Can someone help please, I have a Hornby HST R3138-HX which has had most of the wires to the lights in the power car break whilst installing a DCC sound chip. I hoped to copy the wiring from the dummy power car but they are wired up differently. Can someone post the connections from the circuit board to the solder tabs on the body and shell for the front,rear & cab lights please. I have attached a photo of the circuit board (2543-X005R1). Thanks in desperation. Hughpost-7594-0-26871200-1536681123_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've had a similar situation before.

There is no wiring diagram, and different models have different wiring patterns (Not helped by Hornby's habit mixing configurations between common negative and common positive and having all black wiring)

What is in your favour, is that the resistors are all mounted on the board, so the chances of damaging an LED are slim.

What I did, was strip and tin the end of each broken wire

Make sure that your pickups from the wheels go to the TRK+ and TRK- terminals.

I believe the GND is the common negative.     FW+ is Front (White) and FR+ is Front (Red)

All you can do is take the wires from the lights, and try them in turn whilst the chassis is on a live track.     Ensure your loco is set in the forward direction, pick the first wire, hold it to GND and then try the others on FW+    rotate through the wires until the headlights come on.

Then reverse the direction on the controller and do the same with the remaining two wires until the red lights come on.    If you are lucky, you might ID the wires for the red lights when testing for the white.

Its a faff, but a wiring diagram is useless without colour coded wires anyway...

I hope it helps

• Informative/Useful 1

This photo is from memory a Hornby Class 56 board but the overall connections are much the same.

The A & B shown connected to the socket are illustrative only as they physically connect to the motor, same as your M1/M2.

Edit - Note tag 2 LH and tag 5 RH are not used. Blue line is common positive. Yours is probably FT+.

post-7193-0-66940000-1536741023_thumb.jpg

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• 1 year later...

I've got the same problem now with the newer version of the power cars with the plug-in wiring harness. In this case my son was attempting to fit a TTS sound decoder and all 3 wires have detached from the pcb in the cab. There are three loose black wires from the plug to re-attach but it is not obvious which is which.  In this case I don't even have a clue which is the ground wire. I may just send the lot of to Hornby to sort out but if I could be certain, or at least have a working process to troubleshoot it, I could do it myself. The bit has learned the hard way that DCC plug and play is not yet truly plug and play in the UK at least.....

Edited by andyman7

Be aware that the lighting resistors are usually on the main PCB so avoid applying a voltage higher than 3v directly to the led lighting boards at each end or you will blow them. I blew some on a Class 56 and it was a pig of a job to replace them.

Using a 3v coin cell battery CR2032 size at the lighting boards find out which is the common wire and which are the white and red combo wires. If you had an Led in your spares box or could rob one from an old solar garden light you could apply it to the main board connections to determine which of those was the common and thence to find the white and red. A shame Hornby use all black wires in their locos. Coloured wire is no more expensive than black.

• Thanks 1