Radio Times Challenge

• RMweb Premium

As part of the publicity for the Channel 5 Great Model Railway Challenge, the Radio Times will be featuring an article about the series in their 95th anniversary edition, which should come out just before the first programme airs. As part of their article, they wanted to see what was involved in building a layout in a very short timescale. The team from Basingstoke was asked to build a layout for them, for 3 reasons:

1. we have our own clubrooms to build the layout in
  2. we are not too far for the journalist and photographer to travel
  3. we were stupid enough not to say 'no'.

So, we have just spent two days building a layout for them. I cannot say much more about it before the publication date, but the layout will be on show at our club open day, this coming Saturday, admission is free

https://www.basingstokemrs.org/open-day.html

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have just heard that the 'Great Model Railway Challenge' has been moved back a week by Channel 5, so the first instalment will now be on October 5th.

However, the Radio Times article should still appear in their 95th anniversary edition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As part of the publicity for the Channel 5 Great Model Railway Challenge, the Radio Times will be featuring an article about the series in their 95th anniversary edition, which should come out just before the first programme airs. As part of their article, they wanted to see what was involved in building a layout in a very short timescale. The team from Basingstoke was asked to build a layout for them, for 3 reasons:

1. we have our own clubrooms to build the layout in
  2. we are not too far for the journalist and photographer to travel
  3. we were stupid enough not to say 'no'.

So, we have just spent two days building a layout for them. I cannot say much more about it before the publication date, but the layout will be on show at our club open day, this coming Saturday, admission is free

https://www.basingstokemrs.org/open-day.html

Never quite sure what the point is of building a layout in the shortest possible time. Doesn't it miss the pleasure of designing and building a layout?

My club built a layout during our club exhibition once. It was as a raffle prize. We had great trouble selling tickets and not something we repeated. The only 'benefit' was that we got rid of some clutter.

• RMweb Premium

The article is in the Radio Time out today. It came out quite well, I think.

However, the article has some blatant errors, like identifying RT buses as Routemasters, so the comments about rotund tummies and hair loss must be incorrect too.

Never quite sure what the point is of building a layout in the shortest possible time. Doesn't it miss the pleasure of designing and building a layout?

Maybe. But if you are trying to attract newcomers isn't it best that you can prove that you can have something up and running in a short time rather than telling them that you will be spending the next twenty years planning a model railway and all you will have is some bare baseboards like many of us have?

I honestly believe that's why many give up after the initial train set stage. They are too ambitious and want to go from a circle of track to a giant layout in the loft that takes years.

Jason

Maybe. But if you are trying to attract newcomers isn't it best that you can prove that you can have something up and running in a short time rather than telling them that you will be spending the next twenty years planning a model railway and all you will have is some bare baseboards like many of us have?

I honestly believe that's why many give up after the initial train set stage. They are too ambitious and want to go from a circle of track to a giant layout in the loft that takes years.

Jason

I agree absolutely. I mainly build small layouts, and I do mean small, but very challenging layouts. One reason/excuse given for not building anything is lack of space.

I think that even the layouts in the Ch 5 program are too big for many , so hopefully there will be more programs where space(not just time) can be a challenge. Would also be better for indviduals rather than teams.

Modellers have been doing these type of challenges for years, one regular one is the narrow gauge exhibition each year at Swanley.

Edited by rue_d_etropal