Oversize "33 inch" HO wheels ?

scaro

Dear Scaro,

33" wheels in HO are 9mm dia,
36" wheels in HO are 10.5mm dia

An "oversize 33" wheel" is most likely actually a 36" wheel...

NB that US Railroads also commonly use 28" wheels for low-profile missions such as on intermodal spine cars and some flats...

Happy modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Edited by Prof Klyzlr

36" wheels in HO are 10.5mm dia

Yeah, I'm aware of that but 36" are too big for what I need. (foul the bottom of the chassis.)

Hence I wondered whether some manufacturer just made some that were a touch oversized, by accident etc. Little variations do happen. 

Dear Scaro,

What equipment are you looking to replace the wheels on?
This will give a guide as to whether 33" or 36" wheels are "prototypically appropriate".

If you find that 33" / 9mm wheels are giving a slightly-too-low coupler height or similar,
(thus suggesting the need for something "just a touch larger"),
it is likely better to stick with 33" wheels and use Kadee spacer-washers between the truck and bolster to gain the extra required height...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Locomotives.  Specifically an Alco export hood locomotive. It has 10mm wheels exactly in the scale - which is 3mm/ft ; loco has 40" wheels.

I do have 10mm wheels but they are tender wheels, plastic centred with only a thin metal tyre. A wheel with a metal back would be easier to pick up power from. Hence why metal HO wagon wheels are of interest. 

The loco truck is three axle 5'6" + 6'6" truck in 3mm scale that's spaced 16.5mm +  19.5mm 

There is no available truck of that wheelbase and spacing. Options are using a B-B loco as donor, from TT or N scale, which have either the 16.5mm or 19.5 mm spacing, and using a dummy or idler inboard or outboard axle.

Edited by scaro

As Prof says, it is easier to use smaller wheels and shim the truck boss to the correct height. What is your prototype?

One of my locos uses a Bachmann chassis that has been offered with wheels of 9.4 or 10.5mm over the years. The real loco was built with 36" wheels that have worn down to 33" today, so either size could be considered accurate, considering it's age. In modelling terms this means setting the coupling height on the design for the smaller wheel, and adding a 0.5mm spacer to lower the coupler box to the correct height.

A good side shot. https://tinyurl.com/ya7n3rhk

Looking at this I wonder if smaller wheels would be easily hidden anyway.  And the other design of loco used (there were only 3 used on the railway) which it would have to couple to, will also have wheels lower by approx 0.3mm or so itself If erring on the side of smaller wheels is sensible then I'll go that route.   

Edited by scaro

Locomotives. Specifically an Alco export hood locomotive. It has 10mm wheels exactly in the scale - which is 3mm/ft ; loco has 40" wheels.

I do have 10mm wheels but they are tender wheels, plastic centred with only a thin metal tyre. A wheel with a metal back would be easier to pick up power from. Hence why metal HO wagon wheels are of interest.

Try Black Beetle wheelsets, they come in 10.5mm diameter on 2mm axles. If you're in UK, they're available from Branchlines and DC Kits. I used some 12mm diameter to rewheel a Heljan Nohab.

http://branchlines.blogspot.com/2006/07/black-beetle-nickel-silver-wheels.html

Just looked at the prototype pic, looks interesting can you tell us more?

All the best

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn

Try Black Beetle wheelsets, they come in 10.5mm diameter on 2mm axles. If you're in UK, they're available from Branchlines and DC Kits. I used some 12mm diameter to rewheel a Heljan Nohab.

http://branchlines.blogspot.com/2006/07/black-beetle-nickel-silver-wheels.html

Just looked at the prototype pic, looks interesting can you tell us more?

All the best

Nick

It's an Alco DL531, a common export design but built locally in Australia by Alco's franchiser there, with over 200 in use on three gauges.