Modern Outline Kits Class 4F

Hull Paragon

I am 'modelling' the BR period based around Hull in the late 1950s early 1960s. I watched many dirty freight engines pass by my high school playing fields and took almost no notice as I wanted to get to York and Doncaster to see the glamorous express engines. So, apart from memories and internet archives I have nothing to guide me except faded memories.

I have a J71, J94, B1 and Class 08 Shunter either built, part built or in the box. All are representative of my area but after seeing the excellent Railways of Hull video by Marsden (if I could only redub the narration) I saw 43079 arriving at Hull Paragon with a local stopper and I was hooked. The fascinating ugliness of the beast sort of epitomises Hull so I had to have one.

I found a kit at Acme and bought it. However, it stayed in the box until I suddenly had a rush of blood and decided that I would build the MOK one instead. The precision and quality of the kit seemed more suited to such a complex loco so I ordered one and collected it at Telford earlier this month. A quick visit to the ABC stand secured a motor and gearbox, and as I really love Walsall Wheels, I collected a set of them for the loco chassis. I decided to save a small amount by using Slaters wheels for the tender. I'm not overly keen on Slaters but the tender axleboxes all but hide the tender wheels so I compromised!

Over the next 10 years or so (that's how long the J71 took!), I will post updates on progress and my personal observations of the kit, instructions and anything else that influences the build. I also look forward to your criticism, comments, advice and anything else that you care to add.

Ray

post-32699-0-20234000-1536772755_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 5

The contents of the kit are quite impressive. The nickel silver etchings are crisp and clean, as are the brass castings. There is an instruction booklet and some loose leaflets showing updated information. There are also updates on the MOK website.

The instruction book includes pictures of the castings with a key.......there are a lot of them!

The instructions appear to be superb. Loads of pictures showing lots of detail. Far superior to anything I have seen in my modelling life. It will seem unfair but there are still errors which I didn't expect. Anyway, here is a typical page:

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 1

I have already started the kit and have built a little of the tender .

The construction involves locating tabs on one piece into slots on another. The pieces are a precise fit! I have not touched a square since I started. Everything appears to fit properly and squarely. The tabs once firmly located are twisted to lock th epieces into position, after which they can be soldered together. When the instructions tell you to bend a piece at 90 degrees....it means 90 degrees.....not 89 or 91!

The etched pieces are beautifully marked with the part number close by so there is no danger of getting the wrong piece. I marked the pieces with the relevant number anyway so I wouldn't make any mistakes later on!

Although the instructions are pretty comprehensive I still had to take a lot of time examining the photos closely to ensure I had things in the right place. The one thing that took a bit of thinking about was which end was which....front or rear. It wasn't obvious (to me anyhow).......

This is my starting point

post-32699-0-31931900-1536783267.jpg

The tender chassis has two rocking beams fixed in place by a box which is free to move in two planes. It took me a little while to get it freely rocking but it did in the end. These are the rocker arms and rocker beam

post-32699-0-14732700-1536783654.jpg

post-32699-0-17837800-1536783744.jpg

The axle bearings are fitted into special washers which in turn fit into slots in the rocking beams. They have to be spot on or there is a danger that the axle will not spin freely.

Here is my progress to date

post-32699-0-90223700-1536783903.jpg

Ray

• Like 6

Hi Ray,

Nice work on the tender chassis. If I read your original post correctly you also have or had, the Acme kit for the Ivatt 4F. Many years ago I built the College Models kit which Acme took on, so the same kit. Believe me you made the right choice in going for the MOK kit instead. The Acme kit is truly awful. Mine turned out OK in the end but it was a nightmare to build compared to MOK. I've not built the 4F but am close to finishing the BR 4MT, which has been an absolute joy. It's like comparing a Model T Ford to the latest BMW. I look forward to seeing how you get on. There's a build on Dibateg's thread that you might find useful.

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Nice work on the tender chassis. If I read your original post correctly you also have or had, the Acme kit for the Ivatt 4F. Many years ago I built the College Models kit which Acme took on, so the same kit. Believe me you made the right choice in going for the MOK kit instead. The Acme kit is truly awful. Mine turned out OK in the end but it was a nightmare to build compared to MOK. I've not built the 4F but am close to finishing the BR 4MT, which has been an absolute joy. It's like comparing a Model T Ford to the latest BMW. I look forward to seeing how you get on. There's a build on Dibateg's thread that you might find useful.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks PAD

The Acme kit is still in the box and I intend to sell it soon so I hope there are some Acme fans out there!

So far although my progress has been quite slow (mainly due to me checking and double checking that I have got things right) this kit is a beauty.. a pleasure to build. I've done a bit more this afternoon which I will probably post tomorrow.

Ray

Thanks very much....I haven't seen these.

My school was next to Spring Bank North Signal Box.........they are both no longer with us!

Ray

Ray, here's a c1965 picture of a 4MT, taken from the window of Springbank North signalbox, I have many other pictures of the signalbox etc, my late father worked the last shift Saturday 4 May 1968. Your seat of learning is now an housing estate.

post-702-0-39802700-1536874187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ray,

If your  price  is right, the Acme one would  be a  good kit  for an experienced builder who's budget doesn't run to the  MOK kit. It can be  made into a  decent  model, but  it  has many challenges.  These are not  the  best of  images, but  it shows what can be  done.

post-13414-0-91920500-1536917593_thumb.jpg

post-13414-0-46514400-1536917672_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 7

Ray, here's a c1965 picture of a 4MT, taken from the window of Springbank North signalbox, I have many other pictures of the signalbox etc, my late father worked the last shift Saturday 4 May 1968. Your seat of learning is now an housing estate.

attachicon.gif1 SPEINGBANK NORTH c1965.jpg

Mick

Thanks very much. I was aware that the school had been demolished.

Interesting personal history for you!

Ray

Hi Ray,

If your  price  is right, the Acme one would  be a  good kit  for an experienced builder who's budget doesn't run to the  MOK kit. It can be  made into a  decent  model, but  it  has many challenges.  These are not  the  best of  images, but  it shows what can be  done.

attachicon.gif20131002_090427.jpg

attachicon.gif20131002_090841.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Peter

Looks pretty good to me. The problem is always getting the lighting right when photgraphing models....I wonder if a polaroid filter would tone such images down.

Ray

Of 16 pages, I am now on Page 5! I made a start on the footplate by soldering webs on. The tab construction method makes the act of setting up and soldering these a doddle. Note the reminder which is the top side. The other bit is described as a drag beam adjuster. I assume that I will find out what it is used for later on.....

post-32699-0-73790300-1536951290.jpg

Putting the side frames together.........

post-32699-0-00195200-1536951522.jpg

Then on to one of my least favourite tasks: cutting castings off sprues and cleaning them up. I'm sure there is a good technical reason why the joins are so heavy........

The axle boxes and springs are built up from 6 components as below:

post-32699-0-50038700-1536951537.jpg

The axle box locates in a hole but is free to spin. The spring assembly is pinned through the securing brackets but the brackets are free to move. I thought for a while before I soldered anything and finally decided to drill a couple of 0.8mm holes in a wooden block and pin the pieces on that. The saw blade lifts the spring to keep i parallel to the surface as well as forcing the brackets to line up square.

post-32699-0-12264000-1536951832.jpg

After a bit of faffing, thinking and testing, the end result looks like this. I'm not displeased with it!

post-32699-0-73583100-1536951581.jpg

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 8

Mick

Thanks very much. I was aware that the school had been demolished.

Interesting personal history for you!

Ray

Ray, I watched the school being built and also being demolished, for a short time, our eldest daughter was a pupil.

Attached a picture of the 4MT's little sister passing Springbank North. If you would like more pictures of the area contact me.

post-702-0-03891600-1536959741_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Ah yes, that’s one of my locos on the box cover! When I get home I’ll find the link to my build for you Ray.. Although by your progress you probably won’t need it!

Regards

Tony

That's very kind of you Dibateg....thanks.

Hope my effort looks as good as yours....even if I build it properly I will have to make sure my painting skills have been upgraded!

Ray

Ray

Ray, I watched the school being built and also being demolished, for a short time, our eldest daughter was a pupil.

Attached a picture of the 4MT's little sister passing Springbank North. If you would like more pictures of the area contact me.

attachicon.gifSPRINGBANK NORTH 46409 .jpg

Thanks again Mick. I didn't expect this series of posts to become a trip down memory lane, but I am quite enjoying it.

Ray

Hello Ray -

Back from holiday on an island with no railways...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3671-the-derby-line-the-four-horseboxes-of-the/page-8

here is the link to my thread - it might be of help, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I don't bother painting mine now ( unless they are plain black ). it's less stressful to get one of the pro's to do it, and they do a far better job than I can.

Regards

Tony

Hello Ray -

Back from holiday on an island with no railways...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3671-the-derby-line-the-four-horseboxes-of-the/page-8

here is the link to my thread - it might be of help, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I don't bother painting mine now ( unless they are plain black ). it's less stressful to get one of the pro's to do it, and they do a far better job than I can.

Regards

Tony

My thanks Tony

I have seen some of your stuff....very impressive! I noticed you rolled the boiler.....I am going to send mine back to MOK for them to do it....I don't have any rollers and I don't want to spend that sort of money for one boiler....on top of which it is nickel silver, and I don't want to make a hash of it. So Dave at MOK said it was better to send it to them.

Ray

It looks a lovely kit the 4F is one on my bucket list I have recently bought the MOK Standard 4 Kit via a third party (including Slaters wheels and a ABC and Maxon combo for the motor and gear box) but having looked through the box its appears to be lovely the etches and castings first rate. I will watch you progress with much interest and see how it goes so far it looks very good. The two kits I will procure in the next few months from MOK will be the 4F and the Standard 4 Tank.

kind regards

Iain

Good luck with it Iain...I can only say that if you haven't done one before you will have a pleasant surprise.

In the meantime, I have now finished the RHS frame, and I have fitted the bearing covers and what MOK call 'S-Nuts' which are tiny plates for soldering to a small shelf on the reverse to thicken the metal......the holes are tapped 14BA for future bolts I assume! I have also added the rivet detail along the top. The axle box looks a bit askew probably due to camera parallax.

post-32699-0-76413300-1537377746.jpg

Next will be the brake gear fitted to the underframe.

Ray

post-32699-0-76413300-1537377746.jpg

• Like 4