Modern Outline Kits Class 4F

Hull Paragon

Right! This time there will be no mistakes. As I have no tabs to locate to ensure the boiler(smokebox) is aligned properly with the frames (saddle) I decided to set up a crude but effective jig from some old Lego bricks. This gave a horizontal against which I could assess the alignment. I didn't want to rely on my eyes again....which haven't worked too well in the past! So I threaded a straight piece of wire through some of the holes in the boiler.......this gave a horizontal reference for the loco. Line the two up and solder it up.

Lego.JPG.e89a2c27bac6944046703b3ab02e19df.JPG

I'll do something simlar when I put the smokebox door back using the handrail as the horizontal.

Ray

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 01/06/2019 at 18:27, 90164 said:

When I did this I soldered in the handrail knobs on the right hand side, ran the wire through them temporarily and used that to help line things up. Seemed to work.

Yes that would work well. I used the handrail on the smokebox door when I first did it, but somehow I didn't get it right....hence the slight overkill this time.

Ray

One small but extremely irritating problem that followed all of the above shenanigans was that one of the soldered nuts inside the cab securing box fell out. I thought I might have to find a way of getting the box off to resolder it but in the end I turned a small bush about 4mm deep, tapped a 10BA thread in it and soldered that in. There always seems to be extra work to do after major surgery....well there is for me anyway!

You can just see the bush in the top hole.....the other nut is still in place.

1601994017_Bush-Repair.JPG.11ecffd40b8e9fb3c35c7f0513d2f08a.JPG

Ray

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Things not quite working this morning so I'll try again......

June sped by. The first event was that Robins chose to nest in my workshop which slowed things down a bit. I couldn't close the door which meant I had to drill an access hole in the door so I could lock up overnight. It worked and 4 chicks were raised.........

June is holiday and break time so I went fishing for a week. It rained of course but I took 3 kits with me just in case.....they all got partially built! When I got back I also did a bit of work on the bogies of my Thompson coach (lurking in the background).....

Wagons.jpg.230c37ae47594e74f3685a9016e6cda4.jpg

I also took a major step with my garden railway by actually starting it. The first posts have been installed and the inaugural 24 feet of track is laid. It will be a no-frills layout to start with anyway. I just want to get it running before the end of the 'summer'. (The posts are all upright! The photo has a bit of parallax error!)

1348828487_Garden2.jpg.7c9e7e88e27e19eefd7e958167f88a3f.jpg

The Class 4 wheels will be ready soon so it will be full steam ahead on that project.....

Ray

Edited by Hull Paragon
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Summer is rolling on and for some time I have abandoned working indoors as the weather is so good. Instead, I have continued to work on the garden railway. So far I have installed 33 posts and almost 50 yards of track bed. The track laid to date is about 50 feet long (about a third of the total length) and over the next week I hope to install the final 2 posts, the final 3 track bed lengths and as much track as I can get done. I have made one construction error and I have to think of a solution or I will have to compromise on my 10 ft curves which are the preferred minimum.

Progress so far (the posts are 4 ft apart). The gap on the right is where the final 2 posts are just visible......

Railway.jpg.d058fd1ae74c0c78f8305ecf821fff3b.jpg

If I can keep the momentum up I also would like to start the incline to take the track into my cabin and connect up with the (so far unbuilt) indoor layout.

Ray

• Like 5

• 7 months later...