Andrew Barclay 12inch "Piano" tank

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Hi Sam, I have a spare kit if anybody is interested. I am not likely to build this anytime soon so it's a shame just to leave on the shelf. PM if anybody would like it. 

Mike

Hi Mike this is a nice gesture, it’s great to see members helping one another.:good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This spare kit has now been sold. It would be a shame to leave it doing nothing when a fellow modeller can use it. I am sure there are lots of people who would like to profit from unavailable kits that are never likely to be repeated. One only has to look at E-bay to see that. I have sold it for what I paid for it. 

Mike

• Like 2

In the process of designing the 3D parts for the etches I have found a fundamental error with the firebox in the etch. Its the wrong diameter, its to small. It is about the correct size for the later post 1890 locos. The diameter  should be about 7mm bigger. 

I found out why while I was having problems drawing the safety valves on the side of the trumpet. My suspicions were raised when, as suggested, I had a look at the Springside Nieson loco. It has the bigger diameter firebox compared with the boiler. Then I came across a photo of the cab of a Barclay box tank, at Overwood Quarry,  which shows a bigger diameter firebox, still on the same centre line. I think that the etched firebox provided, on the etch, matches the diameter of the later loco boilers ie post 1890 not the early ones.

I can do a trumpet and safety valves for the smaller diameter firebox but the bottoms of the safety valves would be hanging in mid-air not attached to the firebox. The simple answer for those who haven't built it yet is to proved a complete firebox assembly. But for those who have built their locos already and are waiting on parts it a bit more of a challenge.

Marc

I have done the first print of the Chimney, Tank filler cap and the safety valves. We have found out that the etched firebox isn't the right size so the first one is for Tony's tank that already has a scratch built firebox. The next batch will have the whole of the firebox, back head and safety valves as one piece. 

Marc

printed parts.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I haven't posted any progress on the tanks since last year mainly due to IT issues. I have been getting on top of the new cad package which doesn't like bringing in AutoCAD files at the same scale that they were drawn in. Fun and games. Well now back to the job in hand. I have attached pictures of progress so far.

All the parts will be made available for those who bought the original kit in due course.  

Marc

Barclay 12inch piano tank 3D backhead.png

Barclay 12inch piano tank 3D v8.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...