New Peco Catalogue - 2018

Pint of Adnams

The new catalogue is now available which can be purchased directly through the new Peco website (UK P&P £2 on top of the very reasonable £4.95 cover price).

204 pages covering all of the Peco ranges from N to G45 including as expected Ratio, Wills, K&M Trees, Model Scene and Parkside. The announced 4mm Code 75 Bullhead products are included (although the captions for the long crossing and double slip are reversed) together with technical advice on the various electrical and electronic products including wiring the three different types of point frog (Insulfrog, Electrofrog and Unifrog). How to build the Parkside kits guides are repeated from the separate pamphlet produced earlier this year. In noted that one Parkside kit in 7mm, the LNER  10T Fish Van, has been renumbered from PS 36 to PS 136 - no explanation and no apparent difference.

A quality perfect bound A4 size publication with, in my case, a glossy A4 fold-out sheet of the N Gauge Peco Quality Line RTR wagon range (over 170 wagons to collect!) and a comprehensive but asynchronous price list, the page references and updates referring to a previous catalogue.

It made me wonder why the Hornby and Bachmann OO catalogues have a cover price that is considerably higher...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The new catalogue is now available which can be purchased directly through the new Peco website (UK P&P £2 on top of the very reasonable £4.95 cover price).

204 pages covering all of the Peco ranges from N to G45 including as expected Ratio, Wills, K&M Trees, Model Scene and Parkside. The announced 4mm Code 75 Bullhead products are included (although the captions for the long crossing and double slip are reversed) together with technical advice on the various electrical and electronic products including wiring the three different types of point frog (Insulfrog, Electrofrog and Unifrog). How to build the Parkside kits guides are repeated from the separate pamphlet produced earlier this year. In noted that one Parkside kit in 7mm, the LNER  10T Fish Van, has been renumbered from PS 36 to PS 136 - no explanation and no apparent difference.

A quality perfect bound A4 size publication with, in my case, a glossy A4 fold-out sheet of the N Gauge Peco Quality Line RTR wagon range (over 170 wagons to collect!) and a comprehensive but asynchronous price list, the page references and updates referring to a previous catalogue.

It made me wonder why the Hornby and Bachmann OO catalogues have a cover price that is considerably higher...

I have always thought it a bit cheeky to ask for people to pay for your advertising.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree that I find it incredible you have to pay for it. In cycling catalogues are much glossier, with lots of useful content as well as all the literature on the bikes, and they're sent to all dealers FOC in their hundreds.

Peco seems even less useful, given how little their range changes year on year, although they do well by making their website horrific to navigate!

Wish they'd offered N gauge concrete sleeper points when they transitioned to Unifrog.

I have always thought it a bit cheeky to ask for people to pay for your advertising.

I agree that I find it incredible you have to pay for it. In cycling catalogues are much glossier, with lots of useful content as well as all the literature on the bikes, and they're sent to all dealers FOC in their hundreds.

Peco seems even less useful, given how little their range changes year on year, although they do well by making their website horrific to navigate!

Wish they'd offered N gauge concrete sleeper points when they transitioned to Unifrog.

Somebody has to pay for advertising. You either pay directly as in for Peco's catalogue or the cost is added to the product and everybody pays extra.

How much cheaper would those bikes be if the company didn't have to spend money on advertising, it costs money to produce glossy brochures. Why do own brands at supermarkets cost less than well known branded products, no advertising to pay for.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Producing a catalogue in house versus the thousands spent on adverts with third parties like magazines or websites... You think you're not paying for any advertising because you have to pay for a catalogue!?

Producing a catalogue in house versus the thousands spent on adverts with third parties like magazines or websites... You think you're not paying for any advertising because you have to pay for a catalogue!?

I don't see Peco spending thousands on adverts in third party magazines, none in the last issue of BRM, when they have their own magazines. Yes, they will have an advertising budget and spend it on the odd website and in sponsoring exhibitions, and everybody who buys their products is paying for it. To produce a 200 odd page catalogue with over a thousand photographs even in house takes time and money to assemble. Peco is only a small company and will know whether there is a market for a paid for catalogue to recover it's cost.

I wonder with all these free advertising bumph how many people simply pick them up because they're free, thumb through them once and then discard them into the ever growing pile of waste. By paying for a catalogue you are targeting a more discerning customer who welcomes the opportunity to browse your products at their leisure wherever they are.

Brian

Edited by brigo

• RMweb Premium

I wonder with all these free advertising bumph how many people simply pick them up because they're free, thumb through them once and then discard them into the ever growing pile of waste. By paying for a catalogue you are targeting a more discerning customer who welcomes the opportunity to browse your products at their leisure wherever they are.

Agreed. I will be at the 'Grand Design's Show' later in the week thanks to some free tickets. I'm sure I'll come back with a carrier bag full of brochures and if previous visits are anything to go by, 90% will be in the bin after the weekend. After all we only need one kitchen - it's just that she can't decide which one . . . . . .!!

• RMweb Premium

That I definitely agree with, but there's a difference between handing stuff out blithely at shows (which I'm not a fan of - I have to carry it all day, then chuck it away), or as a pamphlet in a magazine versus having a nice catalogue a dealer can hand over to a customer who asks, and is therefore already inherently interested.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold

Recently ordered the Peco catalogue by post went onto the PECO website £2.00 postage, Rails of Sheffield £4.00 postage !, ordered from Gaugemaster not only was the post free but to my amazement the package was tracked. Receiving a text message from Royal mail on the day of delivery and also another one to say it had been delivered. Excellent service Gaugemaster although the service was called economy there was nothing economy  about it.

Anyone who is o emaillist for Gaugemaster will get updates about new products, as well as pdf copies of catalogues and new item pamplets. Oddy they are mainly continental companies. Have not had one for a British model railway company. Now Peco might be smaller that some companies but there are smaller comapanies in model trade who have online catalogues(downloadable as pdf files).

I wonder if it is time for British model railway companies , such as Peco, Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol , having catalogues which can be downloaded. There is still the cost of creating the catalogue, but no printing or distribution cost.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it is time for British model railway companies , such as Peco, Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol , having catalogues which can be downloaded. There is still the cost of creating the catalogue, but no printing or distribution cost.

Peco's catalogue is available in the "Peco Modellers' Library" app (Apple App Store and Google Play Store). Access charge is the same as the printed version. It's debatable whether this is equivalent to a PDF in functional terms but it is "downloadable" (sort of).

I'm not sure if the catalogue currently available via that method is the newly updated version or not.

Edited by Harlequin

I don't see the point of having to pay for a download of a catalogue. Once downloaded it can easily be distributed , which is why companies such as Fleischmann, Roco, Marklin,Walthers and many others distriburte free catalogues and update sheets online. I also buy some kits from military model companies such as Miniart in the Ukraine, and their catalogue can be downloaded for free. Catalogues are part of the marketing and advertising budget, and the more who see them the more customers you get.

Model shops have a problem with catalogues which have to be paid for. When they are out of date they are difficult to sell.

If someone wants a printed copy, it would not be that difficult to arrange for it to be printed. Given that pdf format was created for this purpose then it makes sense. Possibly a nominal charge for the cost of printing.