Bachmann vacancy - Communications Manager

Andy Y

As Dennis Lovett counts down the days and hours to his retirement as Bachmann's PR Manager (he'll be telling us in minutes soon) there is a forthcoming vacancy for someone with the right skills and experience who could have an enjoyable role in the heart of the hobby.

Following another very successful year, culminating in the award of ‘Overall Manufacturer of the Year’ in the British Model Railway Awards, Bachmann Europe Plc are pleased to advertise the following position within the company to aid the development and expansion of the business.

Communications Manager
We are looking for a Communications Manager for our office in Barwell, Leicestershire. The Communications Manager will help manage the day-to-day communication plan to secure maximum positive exposure for Bachmann Europe, its products and spokespeople amongst print and digital media in a way that supports the wider company mission and marketing/business objectives. The role will report into the Manager of Marketing and will work closely with the Marketing and R & D teams.

Responsibilities:
• Final authorization for all public communications.
• Building, improving and managing relationships with key influencers and journalists.
• Serving as the public face of the company in interviews, videos, press conferences and key exhibitions.
• Working with brand supervisors to help with the media coverage of non-railway brands and products.
• Writing articles and editing Collectors Club magazine.
• Devising and coordinating photo opportunities and product launches.
• Organising events such as press conferences and press open days, and creating relevant and informative presentations.
• Monitoring forums and customer feedback to be aware of any negative publicity.
• Monitoring industry news.
• Responding and resolving a potential crisis situation.
• Guest speaking and address groups and societies.

Requirements:
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills.
• Understanding of how content can be used for traditional media, PR and wider digital channels including SEO & Social Media.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office. Willingness to learn other programs that could be useful to the role.
• Drive, competence, flexibility and a willingness to learn.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to multitask.
• The ability to cope with pressure.
• Creativity, imagination and initiative.
• Good teamwork, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Discrete and trustworthy in dealing in confidential information.
• Commercial awareness and a good knowledge of current affairs.
• Flexibility – may require working overtime and weekends.

This is a full-time position with a competitive package available including private health care, pension plan, and performance related remuneration salary.

Please apply with a covering letter and full CV by 28th September 2018 to:
FAO Carrie Woods, Job Application – Communications Manager, Bachmann Europe Plc, Moat Way, Barwell, Leicestershire LE9 8EY.
or email personnel@Bachmann-europe.co.uk

• RMweb Gold

Sounds an interesting job - quite tempted to apply!

Best wishes to Dennis for a long and happy retirement. I first met him at MKMRS in the 70's when I was a very junior member. Then used to see him regularly on the train when we both worked in London/Watford.

Our paths have continued to cross over the years at various exhibitions and also at football - both following the Gulls (Torquay United) through thick and thin!

Model railways do give us some wonderful memories at times :)

Dennis Lovett  = good guy! 

from his playful elbow in my ribs for answering modellers questions on here at 3.am in the morning, to great chat, and laughter.

​Yup, a good all round egg, and i hope we still get to see him at shows occasionally.

• RMweb Gold

I find it strange that the Job Requirements don't mention a knowledge or love for model railways...

Probably because the number of Comms Managers who have that is quite limited and Bachmann wouldn't necessarily want to exclude an otherwise excellent comms manager who isn't a rail fan but can learn about it.

Probably because the number of Comms Managers who have that is quite limited and Bachmann wouldn't necessarily want to exclude an otherwise excellent comms manager who isn't a rail fan but can learn about it.

Very much so. Do they have to be experts on buses and soldiers as well, as Bachmann make those?

I wouldn't expect the Communications Manager at Liverpool or Manchester United to be an expert on football. But I would expect them to be good at communication.

People who are good learners can quite often pick up the basics extremely quickly.

Jason

If so inclined Dennis could now write another book, to join his excellent NLR overview on my shelves. Could be an entertaining read.

Tough act to follow indeed based on my show encounters: approachable, helpful, first class representative of the business' interest. Likewise the responses supplied to on line discussion when required. (If Bach UK are able to get with what's trending, she would be something new for this business sector.)

• Like 1

I sent a query to Bachmann one Saturday evening in the first week of January expecting a reply during the working week. I received a reply from Dennis at 21:12 the same evening. Doesn't he have a home to go to.

He certainly does but that's type of gent he is - we've both had a 'always phone whenever you like' agreement between us and he's helped out of hours on many occasions. It comes from his life on the big railway when he was frequently the only PR manager the big press could get hold of when there was an emergency (no matter who the TOC concerned was) - broadsheets were after information when Tesco at Gerrards Cross landed on the Chiltern line - nothing to do with Virgin (who was his employer at the time)!

• Like 2

Most important requirements are missing.....

Requires to be thick Skinned and a diplomat, to put up with some very inappropriate comments on RMWeb, from a small number of posters who know better than everyone else...

• Like 1

Dennis Lovett  = good guy! 

from his playful elbow in my ribs for answering modellers questions on here at 3.am in the morning, to great chat, and laughter.

​Yup, a good all round egg, and i hope we still get to see him at shows occasionally.

Yip one of the younger lads in our club had a problem with a Bachmann coach he bought a few years ago, he had tried to get it sorted but had not got anywhere.  I spoke directly to Dennis about it at the Glasgow show and he managed to sort it out for him.

Looking at the first post, I find myself wondering, “did he do all that?”

I have met the gentleman twice, being one in the sea of faces that pass by him. Very approachable and he will be sorely missed. His editorship of Bachmann Times packed each issue with useful information in a very readable form. I almost pity his successor already.

Live long and prosper, Mr. Lovett!

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

This does sound a very interesting job and would suit someone with a passion for Railways.

I’ve met Dennis a number of times mainly Glasgow and showcase each year and we always have a good chat, he personally made sure my membership to the Collector club went in so I could get my WCRC 37 and Pullmans and as I phoned the Monday afternoon to order exactly as he said they team knew who I was and that I would be calling.

A true gent and I will miss seeing him at shows as I’m sure Bachmann will as well. All the best Dennis.

Mark

• Like 1

Wanting to wish Dennis (and his family) the very best as he looks forward to retirement.

I know that he has always been courteous and respectful when I have always talked to him at the display stand, about the forthcoming releases and the way that the market is developing. I've often thought that he knew who he is dealing with, recognising interests and people, so my thanks to him for his patience as I asked for North Eastern stuff. A particular conversation at the North Shields show last year was very interesting and at York recently.  

It will be nice for him to join me on the other side of the cabinet and find out which engine of 'limited livery variation and geographical coverage' would be his choice to model next.

:friends:

Wanting to wish Dennis (and his family) the very best as he looks forward to retirement.

It will be nice for him to join me on the other side of the cabinet and find out which engine of 'limited livery variation and geographical coverage' would be his choice to model next.

Thought about throwing a Black Hat into the ring?   :angel: