TrainTours Pilkington Green Mk1 Set

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone modelled the hideous Pilkington green/red/blue Mk1 set that ran in the early 1990s?

Like to a Flickr page if you don't know how bad it was.

Regardless of asthetics, I travelled on it a couple of times and would like to model it in N; As I can't see Farish ever doing it RTR I'm going to do a repaint.

I believe 12 coaches were repainted:

SK
99710    ex 25767
99712    ex 25893
99713    ex 26013
99716    ex 25808
99717    ex 25837
99718    ex 25862
99721    ex 25806
99722    ex 25756

CK
99714    ex 16187
99719    ex 16191

BSK
99720    ex 35461
99723    ex 35459

Having found several videos of the train on YouTube eight SK, together with one CK and one BSK appears to be a common formation and is what I'll model.

Transfers for the logos are available from Fox but I'm a bit stuck with the basic livery colours.

I've use Ford Modina Green in the past for BP green and it looks to be a close match for the main body colour but what about the red and blue portions?

Do you know of a good colour match for any of the three main colours? Enamel paint by preference but also happy to work with decent acrylics.

Steven B.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I didn't mind the Pilkington K Train.

It did seem to upset some of the more "vocal" enthusiasts when on steam railtours though.  :laugh:

Still looks good in retrospect.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jason87030/32729650145/

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/20031_069_warton_11890.jpg

http://www.petertandy.co.uk/class20page.html

Jason

I worked this stock a few times whilst at Manchester Victoria as a driver, the owner/tour promoter had a little office on the concourse and was an ex Newton Heath engine cleaner. He also wangled a nice little contract with Virgin to ferry train crew around the NW, always seemed to pay his drivers in huge wedges of cash. Drove a huge mettalic blue mid 80's Chevy Caprice and owned a 50's ex US Army GMC 6X6 truck. Seem to remember HMRC and Customs and Excise taking an interest, back in his brief Newton Heath days he was (as a very young man) involved in a small way in the illegal scraping of several steamers, hence the ex cleaner.

Some great photos there Merfyn, thanks for sharing.

Of interest is that I can't see any running numbers on bodysides of the coaches. I can't seem to pick them out on the coach ends either (though there is admittedly some small lettering on there).

No numbers carried on body. They just had the yellow plastic oval on the solebars with the 99xxx numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I worked this stock a few times whilst at Manchester Victoria as a driver, the owner/tour promoter had a little office on the concourse and was an ex Newton Heath engine cleaner. He also wangled a nice little contract with Virgin to ferry train crew around the NW, always seemed to pay his drivers in huge wedges of cash. Drove a huge mettalic blue mid 80's Chevy Caprice and owned a 50's ex US Army GMC 6X6 truck. Seem to remember HMRC and Customs and Excise taking an interest, back in his brief Newton Heath days he was (as a very young man) involved in a small way in the illegal scraping of several steamers, hence the ex cleaner.

Pretty certain it’s the same person who was a close mate of my dads. Been through many adventures with tel when I was a kid., saw many things best left undisclosed that brought a smile to my face. I had no idea he used to be a loco cleaner, though my dad used to work at a scrap yard that processed a couple of scrap steam locos.., though he was more for “securing them” to find an onward preservation buyer, which never panned out, so I think I see a connection.. I got to go on any number of railtours in the 1980’s, D200 figured on many of them..

Edited by adb968008

Pretty certain it’s the same person who was a close mate of my dads. Been through many adventures with tel when I was a kid., saw many things best left undisclosed that brought a smile to my face. I had no idea he used to be a loco cleaner, though my dad used to work at a scrap yard that processed a couple of scrap steam locos.., though he was more for “securing them” to find an onward preservation buyer, which never panned out, so I think I see a connection.. I got to go on any number of railtours in the 1980’s, D200 figured on many of them..

I well remember him too, wasn't he a traction inspector for a bit at Bury in the "just run it" years

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I just ran that stocklist and all of them still exist.

most are oou with West Coast, though one BSK is with LNWR.

A CK is in someones garden at East Tisted station in Hampshire, visible on google maps… no idea how they got that in there.

A few are at Wensleydale, and one at Cranmore / nymr, one SK is at Harry Potter land.

Edited by adb968008