Cement Quay's bit on the side

Chris Nevard

Here goes, a sort of test post and a chance to see progress over the last week or so whilst this forum re-established itself....

I've linked to images on my Fotopic account.

1ymnrl.jpg

1ymnrm.jpg

Above, the two boards were married together and lighting rig added. Some clouds were added to the plain blue sky on both modules which I think has added further interest.

1yqizp.jpg

Some of Pete Harvey's new line of palisade fencing has been added to the far end of Cement Quay proper. There's plenty of scope for further colouring and weathering. Top product! http://www.phd-design.co.uk/page6.php

1yr3d4.jpg

Cement Quay extension progress, 25 October 2009: 37422 slowly grinds along the weed infested trackbed with a rake of cement PCAs.

1yr3dh.jpg

Update 25 October 2009: The new exit off stage on Cement Quay's right had side is in the process of being disguised with another screen. The top half will be finshed in a similar fashion to the existing screen but will have a bare concrete base. More on this to follow later in the week.

1yr3dg.jpg

Something else for one of my other projects - A 2004 vintage Hornby Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 'Pug' 0-4-0. This little loco will be entering the workshops and re-emerging as Radstock's 51202 in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic..I wish I could do clouds like that...actually i wish I could model half as well as Chris does :lol:

Very inspiring and feeling very inadequate with my modelling, just wish I had more time to do some.

Great Job Chris

Terry.

biggrin.gifcracking job chris,just one question which youve probably answered before,did you use a static grass applicator as the grass looks amazing,many thanks and keep up the good work,bob

Yes indeed! I put a base of hanging basket line down first to make a good base followed one or two layers (using paler beige tones for the second application) of 6.5mm grass from Mininatur (International Models) applied with a Grasmaster. I've found a good trick is to vacuum the grass after it's been applied (after about 10-15 minutes into a fresh bag or empty cylinder or through a stocking so it can be reused) - that helps to make it stand up even better.

59005 'Kenneth J Painter' slowly eases a short rake of MFA high sided aggregate wagons out from under the screen at Cement Quay Old Wharf during the late summer of 2007.

Dear Kenneth is a Hornby/Lima 59 with a modified from end to represent the earlier design with US lamps etc. Additional details are from A1 and Shawplan.

There is no CGI sky etc - all is 'as is' apart from stacking two shots to increase the depth of field http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2008/12/layer-stacking-in-photoshop-cs3-for.html

post-6681-12566426611824_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

That last view through the loading area into the original section is a masterstroke. The feint, slightly distorted view of the tankers in the background make that shot. Could it be a bit of heat haze maybe? A little bit of dust kicking up? Looks the business.biggrin.gif smile.gif

Alex

As a bit of a break from CQ and its bit on the side.......

Still sticky and taken in the kitchen under the flu work lights on my stock thing against a big cloud photo is my 1982 vintage Airfix Midland 4F 0-6-0. It's Repainted with Humbrol and finished with Krylon Matte Medium, detailed with lamp irons, separate handrails and renumbered as Bath Green Park's 44417 by me. The chassis and tender frames are Comet built by Philip Hall and are fully compensated, ditto on the tender whose weight bears on the rear dragbeam, with pickups on all wheels. The running quality is way beyond anything that could be achieved ready to run.

The locomotive still awaits full couplings and weathering. The splashers are too large, but I can live with that.

post-6681-12571913337854_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As a bit of a break from CQ and its bit on the side.......

Still sticky and taken in the kitchen under the flu work lights on my stock thing against a big cloud photo is my 1982 vintage Airfix Midland 4F 0-6-0. It's Repainted with Humbrol and finished with Krylon Matte Medium, detailed with lamp irons, separate handrails and renumbered as Bath Green Park's 44417 by me. The chassis and tender frames are Comet built by Philip Hall and are fully compensated, ditto on the tender whose weight bears on the rear dragbeam, with pickups on all wheels. The running quality is way beyond anything that could be achieved ready to run.

The locomotive still awaits full couplings and weathering. The splashers are too large, but I can live with that.

I've posted some comments on the gallery section, Chris, but I'll say it again here - a lovely job and looking forward to seeing it weathered and working hard in double harness with 'another 4F'.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Needs a bit of rust streaking to make it top notch!

Really, My Good Man, are you saying that our Best Palisade Fencing rusts?! :O ;) :lol:

It's galvanised, you know - even the fencing around Exeter Panel, which has been there for over 20 years, isn't really rusty, it just tones down gradually over the years...

You could, of course, spray it black or green, like we do for posh areas, or even the Special Captain's Blue, as per alongside the M5 near Tiverton Parkway!! ;) :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Posh area's??

We got any of them down west then??wink.gif

Oh yes, and in the most unlikely areas, too, just to the west of Devonport Tunnel, would you believe (or, put it another way, 'posh' - if you believe the local planning officers.... :rolleyes: ;) )...

Chris is the Krylon sprayed or brushed on?

I take it its an acrylic matte (looks milky?).

Never used the stuff but it certainly looks the biz!

Got some Games Workshop protective sealant here and was wondering how it would look on a loco!

Not sure if I am brave enough at the mo!blink.gif

Chris is the Krylon sprayed or brushed on?

I take it its an acrylic matte (looks milky?).

Never used the stuff but it certainly looks the biz!

Got some Games Workshop protective sealant here and was wondering how it would look on a loco!

Not sure if I am brave enough at the mo!blink.gif

It's sprayed on from an aerosol. Not milky at all but is semi-matt rather than totally flat. It gives a good base for further weathering. Another coat of Krylon will seal that on. The below is the same treatment (destined for the 4F), but after weathering. The slight sheen gives that oily working rather than Barry Island look.

post-6681-12572770336626_thumb.jpg

Archived