Cement Quay's bit on the side

Chris Nevard

Just saying hello! And glad to have caught up with 'Cement Quay' on the new site... as someone once said- "It just keeps getting better all the time" - Is there going to be another extension built for the other end? he wondered... Seriously your work is an inspiration to keep on going... it makes for great company!

Just saying hello! And glad to have caught up with 'Cement Quay' on the new site... as someone once said- "It just keeps getting better all the time" - Is there going to be another extension built for the other end? he wondered... Seriously your work is an inspiration to keep on going... it makes for great company!

Well, it's interesting you say that, a mirror image on the other side could work well to disguise the left hand fiddle yard. From a domestic point of view it's not as if the layout will take up more space ;)

Below, this line in the foreground (pics taken between '06 and '09 showing minor scenic changes) could be extended to the left and through the backscene into a whole new world (well, 3ft 6"). I'm keen to treat it with an end open as with the latest addition to keep the widest viewing angle .

Ideas are maybe scrapyard, a further wharf with low relief run-dopwn warehousing - who knows, that's half the fun! Due to the more extensive fiddle yard that will need to be hidden I won't have quite the depth, but even with just 9 inches quite a bit could be achieved.

If anyone's around the High Wycombe area, don't forget that Cement Quay in its extended incarnation will be at Wycrail this Saturday http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/Wycrail.htm - don't hang about too long near the layout though, you might suddenly find yourself holding the controller and it ain't DCC either (I guess I'm the only 'modern day' modeller who hasn't taken that route yet')!

post-6681-12574566099153_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12574566349759_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12574567074725_thumb.jpg

Firstly - thanks for all the RM webbers who said hello at Wycrail yesterday. Also thank you to Samuel Bennett who helped me for much of the day :D

Well, Cement Quay and its new 'mini me' survived it first outing in extending form. Not only is the layout 60% bigger it's also higher (4ft 3") - it now sharing Catcott Burtle's legs and drape, which I hope improved the experience for viewer.

Just after the doors opened, some weird electrical fault cause total failure for a minute or two, I think this may have been caused by me snagging the wiring loom whilst rather hastily shoving the dustbin liner cocooned layout into the car during a rain storm on Friday night. A grope of the wiring to ensure that maybe a couple of droppers weren't touching and shorting appeared to solve the problem (I have a 1978 MGB with Lucas/Prince of Darkness electrics so I'm used to groping electrics in a mindless way to get a result).

Ergonomically the layout really is too big to use the original control panel on one end which was OK for a layout which in its original form was just over 5 feet long. I'm tempted to simply go back to manual under baseboard push pull point control using rods which is simple to work and easy to fix. The same will be said of the Spratt and Winkles, whilst they uncouple when you want them to, they also do the same thing when you don't. Additionally the hook tends to get in the way and bind with loco buffer beam detail and cause the odd derailment when going over a crossover. So, back to three links in due course I fear - they're bullet proof and so easy to install (I'm still 3 link with all my steam stock and it's going to remain that way).

I still need to sort out the lighting on the extension, it doesn't match the main section despite same scenic colours and illumination. The problem lies with the bulb positioning which I'll address in due course.

Next outing will be steam/early diesel (not forever) - I favour the idea of and evolving layout to keep things fresh.

Some snaps below..........

gallery_6681_139_190302.jpg

All dressed up and ready for the ball and Wycrail!

gallery_6681_139_175301.jpg

44417, a re-chassied 1981 vintage Airfix Midland 4F 0-6-0 trundles along the weed infested track at Cement Quay with an ancient LSWR Road Van, a delightful kit from Smallbrook Studios.

gallery_6681_139_173277.jpg

The simply stunning Brawa V15 shunting locomotive (Road no. V 15 2231, 2271) runs as good as it looks. This little loco which looks very happy indeed on Cement Quay was borrowed from Model Rail regular Peter Marriott for a few minutes during Wycrail on Saturday 7 November 2009.

Truely stunning ( as usual ) Chris.

You're such an inspiration.

Next to your excellent photographing and digital skills, you're a master when it comes to vegitation, weathering and backscenes.

If I can only meet your standards half ................

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Michel

Chris, while I was standing there gawping at it - having seen Cement Quay now a number of times I was listening to all the mutterings of the crowd around me - all very positive anyway but one guy really summed it up for me with something to the effect of ...

"I don't care nothing is moving there is so much realism and detail in the layout that it no longer matters that there is only the occasional loco move". Followed by a young child "look dad flowers in the grass" - to which the rest of us all peered forward to see something else we had missed.

Now all you need to do is build one for the other end :D just to balance up the overall appearance ;)

Chris,

Just thought I'd say hi. Your work is truly stunning and inspirational. I hope to see it "in the flesh" one day. Really glad you made over to the newlook RMWeb.

I love the colouring, the attention to detail, the vegetation, the subtle weathering, the variety and interest you've packed into such a small space, the backscene and of course the superb realism, all photographed so beautifully too.

Apart from that, it doesn't have much going for it though. wink.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

59005 'Kenneth J Painter' slowly eases a short rake of MFA high sided aggregate wagons out from under the screen at Cement Quay Old Wharf during the late summer of 2007.

Dear Kenneth is a Hornby/Lima 59 with a modified from end to represent the earlier design with US lamps etc. Additional details are from A1 and Shawplan.

There is no CGI sky etc - all is 'as is' apart from stacking two shots to increase the depth of field http://nevardmedia.b...op-cs3-for.html

post-6681-12566426611824_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

Great photos (as usual) - I enjoyed watching the layout at Wycrail the other week, even though it's outside my normal timeframe of interest! Was going to chat briefly, but too big a crowd...

Exactly the point I was making a few posts back. Galvanised palisade fencing doesn't rust easily - there's fencing of this type around Exeter Panel, installed 24 years ago, which is hardly rusty yet!

You do sometimes see rust washes on galvanised steel. ? It'll be from a cut or bend (probably accidental) in the steel, post galvanising, where the steel is uncovered or from an unprotected fitting (nut or washer). ? Modern galvanised steel should give tens of years of rust free service.

Arthur

A bit of a master-piece, Chris. I can't take my eyes off the grass blending into p-way and wharfe. It just shows what can be done with good observation and pains-taking care!

Congratulations.

I just want to see them in real life now.....

• 1 month later...

Thanks Oldlugger - you're too kind ^_^ - the layout you're thinking of is Combwich.

A snap taken a couple of days ago in preparation from the printed page at some stage featuring Cement Quay's 'Mini me'....

No snow, sparkles or bright coloured baubles here, but a picture of an early sunny morning in late summer:

Now in private ownership, Radstock??™s former Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway ???Pug??™ 0-4-0 51202 is captured pottering about with high exposives on a little used section of Cement Quay. Apart from the fake clag, there is no computer jiggerypokery with this snap.

A short while ago I detailed up and repainted the Hornby 'Pug' bought on Ebay. The wagons are from various kits, some of which are getting on for 30 years old, they were recently refurbished to bring the weathering up to current expectations (I hope!).

The cement loading thingamywhotsit is a modified and repainted Skaledale ready to plant structure, the aerial conveyor is Cornerstone (Walthers). Grass is Mini-Natur applied with a Grasmaster, other rocky detritus is the real thing from from Midford in Somerset which was scaled down using a hammer.

gallery_6681_139_151870.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is a truely superb shot.

Although notmy era or personal preferance i can still admire the detail on the layout and fine attention where you have weathered.

My particurlar favourite is the shot of the 59 though.

Lukasz

Archived