mike hughes

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some paint on the 120 and as going to do the same colour quickly done the last few bits to a single car so in the paintshop at the same time.

In the background is a Slaters MR van (wish the instructions were better on how the brake lever bends up) and Parkside Double Bolster. Hiding away in the pic is a Queen Mary brake van.

Michael

IMG_3058.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mike hughes said:

The capping strips on the opens took a bit of time

Very nice - looking really good 

I thought you usually stuck the top of open wagons to flat surface for the bottom half of the mould - wont that capping make that tricky?

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 19:28, Hal Nail said:

Very nice - looking really good 

I thought you usually stuck the top of open wagons to flat surface for the bottom half of the mould - wont that capping make that tricky?

I do the moulding the other way up now so if any join line they'll be at the bottom

Michael

These wagons along with the LNER 6 plank I'm doing had also J pieces under the body, I've put the top part in and then hopefully bend up thin wire to form the curved bit once being made.

I knew what the dimples on the steel wagons were for (had a bolt inside for chaining down loads)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve sprayed the black on the 120 and made a start on some DMU ends (3 classes so far) with one more Dmu and one class of EMU to start. 

Some mould making for the wagon bodies for me to do as well

michael

1AA076BD-8C3F-40F2-9E94-947BDF9E4983.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

If it isnt a state secret, can you show us how you split your moulds for open wagons these days?

Yes, along the solebars I glue a 20th strip and then glue on plastic, build Lego around it and turn over pour rubber in with a removable block which will need holding down whilst rubber sets. Once set remove the plastic base and with knife cut indentations in the rubber so the other half has somewhere to locate to. Next I put a few coats of release on the rubber and then glue the plastic rods and a piece for resin to pour into (see page 1) next build couple more layers of bricks and pour rubber till around the top of the plastic rod. 

Hope that helps

Michael 

88E2496F-9403-42C9-989D-8472E77AE011.jpeg

5E7BC5BB-DAC1-4D89-BA27-7E4A36BC24B5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I think so! Just a bit surprised it isnt trapped in where the main "half" flows around the solebars.

helps with squeezing and banging the mould to help get air out. Theres a few air bubbles but would like to think easy enough to fill. Not the same wagon that's in the previous post

Michael

IMG_3206.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Done more to the 104 and 110 ends, much happier with this method of construction as pretty solid. I’d previously would of attempted first to join the outer layer together at the right angle. Having 80th joined together made it solid

Michael

8E2801C9-FDDB-4246-8942-DCEBAB048B00.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...