mike hughes

I’ve put the plastic square rod for the destination blind on the 110. Found I have some 20th square so used that. So now put in primer and found couple areas that needed filler. Had a rethink on the dome for the 104 and modified a casting what use on the 128, much easier to take off resin than add loads of filler

Michael 

D2EBFC9B-E148-4DC8-BC17-60F0853798CC.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Bigbee Line said:

Maybe best that the purchaser does the sheets as they would all be identical if you made them.

You could probably rework each casting a little bit but the other thing is the sheets were flat originally and the classic tent later, so doing one covered form would immediately rule out two sets of purchasers!

I'd imagine the master will be needed again in future but I dont know whether a sheet could be added to a casting (I'd probably use modelling clay so I could sand it to shape) and then make a second mould from that?

Yes think the modeller would do there own as the sheets would be individual and not all the same , yes would keep the master just in case need to do a remould and no don't fancy doing it again! Didn't realise that you could get lead sheet so thin.

Michael

Getting round to spraying yellow on the 124, done the grey a few days ago. Masking took a while for both driving cars. When I sprayed the roofs noticed the join between the roof and the dome so that took a few days of rubbing done and respraying

Michael

IMG_3436.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, mike hughes said:

I've had a go on starting a master for the dmu seats

I've just made a similar master for autocoach seats. Do you make several moulds for small stuff like this or are you able to mix very mall quantities of resin? Or it a case of making one every time you are already making other castings?

Edited by Hal Nail

On 24/09/2020 at 19:42, Hal Nail said:

I've just made a similar master for autocoach seats. Do you make several moulds for small stuff like this or are you able to mix very mall quantities of resin? Or it a case of making one every time you are already making other castings?

I’ll be making a few moulds of the seats as going to want lots. I haven’t worked out whether it’ll be a one or two piece mould yet

Michael

The last DMU seat didn’t look quite right so onto number 3. Bit less cutting and joining involved this time. I’m hoping the seats will do for most of the low density DMU’s 

I’ve started on the route indicator for the 104 and also started the next cab which I had to do, a 105. I made the beading round the windows using 20x 30 strip

Michael 

35354140-15AF-4CB0-A1F4-CD7406140E50.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done a touch more to the various ends/domes. I’ve added strip for the destination blinds for the 104 &105. Added the lamps and route indicator to the 105. I started the Derby L/W a while back and as having a purge on ends got bit further. For the driving end used evergreen strip to form a framework then stuck the already done outer skin on. 

Michael 

5919AD0B-3955-4099-AA7B-711FC052BC73.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Done bit more to the 105 and Derby L/W ends. Made up the inner ends for the 105, added the drivers desk for the 105. Added the buffer beams to the Derby LW. Think I’m there with the dome for the LW. Next is add the window bars to the LW 

Michael

307F12D1-CC64-49A3-B486-F80C5B0177A6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Put the buffer bases and window bars on the L/W and made a start on the driver desk. 

And started the next ends, only needed the 304 ends for the moment but thought it be lot easier to do the other variants at same time whilst it was fresh in memory. 

9721E275-0D43-43F9-B213-6D5519B43797.jpeg

62762398-084E-49E3-AF51-59FE8404EA1B.jpeg

• Like 6

I’ve recently finished spraying the 124, annoying some paints come off, touch up required, hopefully test run on Sunday 

also last few days I’ve been making the low roof area for the 304’s. For some reason the 304/2 had a longer one that other classes. I started with a base then gently curve a couple bits of plastic, laminated them and glued on top. Next done the transition area, added a sloped bit then cut a piece to form the roof curve. Definitely didn’t get shape right and took a lot of work to get to look reasonable. There’re going to be designed to use the PRMRP pantographs. 

Michael 

FB37D9B1-E5BF-4E06-A45C-E1CE836DE0AA.jpeg

493F40CD-67C5-44AC-A548-07BC11E075E1.jpeg

Edited by mike hughes
Added bit more
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Took the 124 for a test on Sunday and apart from raising the height on the motor bogie, all good. 

Ive made a start on the Gresley EMU trailer bogie (even though took pic showing the back!) (think these were just the HD bogie but with roller bearings) and also the motor bogie for the 304

I cut out a 20/40/20 as going to put rivers on the outer frame and then laminate, once all done do a mould to replicate so can then send away to be cast in whitemetal 

Michael 

DC286E83-6C1C-4CD3-993D-66ED1E6B2D37.jpeg

F54DD813-D45F-44EC-AAC6-9C161CB1C17F.jpeg

• Like 13