mike hughes

EMU cabs are generally very uncomplicated with a controller, direction switch/lever and Westinghouse style brake valve. I think the new classes have a single combination controller handle. 

The lining is very neat on the 124. Did you use a pen or transfers? 

Cheers

• Like 1

Be interested to learn how you will add the curved cab glazing. Are you going to cut a clear box such as from that well known chocolate manufacturer which has a correct radius or some other fiendishly clever dodge?

regards

Paul R

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, pwr said:

Be interested to learn how you will add the curved cab glazing. Are you going to cut a clear box such as from that well known chocolate manufacturer which has a correct radius or some other fiendishly clever dodge?

regards

Paul R

I had a book of how to make things as a kid which suggested you could heat and mould clear plastic by trapping it between male and female formers. It was for aeroplane bubble canopies but the principle is the same.

22 hours ago, woodyfox said:

EMU cabs are generally very uncomplicated with a controller, direction switch/lever and Westinghouse style brake valve. I think the new classes have a single combination controller handle. 

The lining is very neat on the 124. Did you use a pen or transfers? 

Cheers

Thanks

I used a lining pen. I Blue tacked a strip of plastic on the coach.

Michael

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The last time I done the curved glazing several years ago, think i’d used a hot air attachment on a gas soldering iron with the glazing on a rounded surface. Not entirely successful. I’m this time going to be using 5th glazing and try a few different suggestions 

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Numbered the 124's and also made a start on the glazing. Having a slot to put the glazing into made it a quick job. Next will be the fun task of glazing the fronts. Tried on scrap glazing pieces yesterday but without joy. I tried sticking a piece in boiling water to help bend it and also heating some tube up to help bend it. Neither worked. Tried then using 5th glazing, this definitely seemed to be more suitable to pushing into a curve than the 10th. 

Michael

IMG_3505.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd brought some creche paper just before you'd posted, so will try that first.

Don't seem to have achieved much recently but have done a conversion of the Parkside SR 8 plank open into a 10' wb with lift link brakes. The sheet rail was made from spare Parkside bits

Michael

IMG_3554.JPG

• Like 6

Yes meant crepe paper, just can't spell, be thankful it started with the right letter.

Anyway I've suck the tops of the curtains in the 124, next is to move the bottoms a bit to give a bit more shape. 

Also at last made a start on making the moulds for the driving ends. As the 105 had support pieces behind the buffer beam added 10th plastic around the back so it lay flat.

Michael

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Belated update due to being at work over Christmas then late few weeks off from business stuff to get some mojo back. 

Anyway got some wagons and CCT’S finished and ready for spraying.  The 8 planks are modified Parkside with new solebars as needed them as 10” wb and the tarp bar is spare parts from Parkside.

Michael

686339EE-C711-4CCD-92ED-043EE8714C4E.jpeg

8B9BD727-9A65-4605-88A9-AED9968609A2.jpeg

• Like 12

I've added the first class and no smoking signs along with the buffer heads for the 124

I've done the castings for the 104 and driving end for the Derby L/W

Also done the castings and stuck them on the 105 and also over the New year break done a bit more at last to the Hawksworth coach

Michael

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 18:22, mike hughes said:

Belated update due to being at work over Christmas then late few weeks off from business stuff to get some mojo back. 

Anyway got some wagons and CCT’S finished and ready for spraying.  The 8 planks are modified Parkside with new solebars as needed them as 10” wb and the tarp bar is spare parts from Parkside.

Michael

686339EE-C711-4CCD-92ED-043EE8714C4E.jpeg

8B9BD727-9A65-4605-88A9-AED9968609A2.jpeg

Could I ask where you get your W irons from and brake gear are they your own castings/etches or from a commercial supplier. 

thanks Steve. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mike hughes said:

The W irons and brake gear are my own etches/castings

Michael 

Hi Michael, 

Do you supply W irons, brake gear and chassis suitable for the 27t iron ore tippler (unfitted) please? IIRC they are 10ft wb. 

Cheers