Improving a Triang-Hornby Mk1

Darius43

The rule for normal viewing distances can apply here: if you cannot read the numbers at normal viewing distance then does it really matter if they are 'wrong' or even duplicated on different coaches? 

I used to stress about this sort of thing, but I came to a similar conclusion. On my home-painted BR wagons, they don't even have numbers - just vaguely number-shaped blobs of paint under a coat of weathering.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a fully detailed RMB on Replica Commonwealths and glazing, my own resin gas boxes and MJT vents

Working on a NEA BG now with Replica B4s but the windows are slightly large for Replica glazing so shrunk them with small amount of plastic card.

Doing first TSO and BSK as well for my GWR150 rake

• RMweb Premium

RMBs

Triang vs Bachmann

The Bachmann one has early window frame sides and older style vacuum kit, also costs a lot

My Triang rebuild.

I had the vehicle, bogies off a Replica BG which needed B4s (went to a ER aircon set on NE SW duties)

Glazing bought previously on spec, trussing was plastic section, knocked up some air brake cylinders, I reckon 6 to 8 hours of work on the RMB, and costs of around £5 since I had the Commonwealths as spares. I always have Precision blue and grey in stock and also various HMRS and Modelmasters lining and lettering.

Bachmann RMB, cost me over £20 second hand, took a couple of hours to sort brakes and numbers. Still have to paint roof to match the rest of its (Bachmann) set.

The Triang BG and RMB will be in a MR early mark 2 set using detailed Limas, I am surprised no one has tried an updated 2B or 2C.

In general the old Triang Mark 1s were quite decent for the day and still hold up with detailing. I think the RMB holds up well with underframe detailing and decent vents.

• Like 1

BG in preparation :)

attachicon.gif52CB6DB4-B00A-4557-8D8B-FCB3EBEE2AFB.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Hi Darius,

What I did with the extra guards window is to file the drop light bar out and the all the corners square. I then used an off cut such as the bit you have there and by scribing through the hole cut out a piece that fits both exactly and with little requirement for filler except for the bottom of the door.

Top-Tip;  Make sure you have left and right hand variants and also that the guards doors are in the correct position regarding the dynamo

I cocked up somewhat when making a batch of four and discovered that I had built up two of the BG's with the guards doors on opposite sides of the centre line which meant a bit of hasty prising apart before the glue set hard.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Darius, you are turning these out at a cracking pace, always great to see some "upcycling" going on!

Thanks Martyn,

I am really enjoying this project. Now working on a Triang SR Utility Van and some “London Brick” wagons. The latter will be modified into ex LNER livery with some ModelMaster decals and have a scratch built brick load.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to both those projects. I have an old Triang brick wagon, and I've often wondered if anything could be done to elevate it in the detail stakes.

I have taken my inspiration from Promethus - post #28 on this thread:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93750-tri-ang-bogie-brick-wagon/page-2

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...