Steam loco racing each other Down Under!

Welly

that was great, thanks for the link.

there was a similar run in 1988 I think, seen some footage of it on a documentary called diamonds were forever, one of the locos was a north british built loco called city of melbourne. I wouldnt mind seeing some more on that.

Mike

The Great Train Race has been staged every year for 25 years as part of the Hunter Valley Steamfest. Originally it was between a steam loco and a Tiger Moth. Later they started racing two trains. See for example the

. This is the first race involving three trains.

There were several triple parallel runs in Australia during Austeam'88 when Flying Scotsman was out here.

J180.jpg

A

There were a couple of more sedate triple parallel runs in Sydney on the 6 track section from Central to Strathfield during the Rail 140 and Rail 150 celebrations.

Cheers

David

It is of course worth noting that these are not real races, simply because no-one wants to see one train out front by miles, then another on its own and so on. They are carefully managed so one draws ahead so the passengersa get a view of the other train, then another draws forward to take its place. And at stations, it is arranged so all three go past abreast. No publicity value in the triple run unless all three are together.

wonderful Pic David, and thanks for the clip.

Ive watched the documentary many times over the years and marvelled at it.

always thought the r707 loco was a really nice loco, reminds me of a britannia.

what were the double headded locos? they had a british look to me.

wasnt so sure on the green loco when I was younger, looked a bit odd to me with the nose. but still just as impressive, can appreciate it moreso now, looks like it has bullied style wheels.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Later they started racing two trains. See for example the

. This is the first race involving three trains.

Did you spot that kid in the yellow jersey jumping for joy there? Great clips, Dave, Thanks! B)

One thing you can say about Aussie steam, the whistles are so deep and manly unlike the shrill Pommie kettles! :lol:

Just saw this YouTube video of 3 steam locos racing to Maitland, Australia!

Thanks for the instruction to view this vid, FANTASTIC, GREAT, saw something previously similar a year or few ago where the Aussies had I recollect 4 steamers running along the track, recollect it was near Melbourne, Show that the Aussies know how to do it. Maybe it was the same tracks. Reckon we would have the H&S deadbeats banning it if it were even suggested here, never mind the bureaucracy that would need to be overcome, not a chance. Oh how I wish I was 25 years younger, Id be off like a shot,and join a lot more of the 'Rats' and leave the s{T]inking ship. Beeman

Thanks for the instruction to view this vid, FANTASTIC, GREAT, saw something previously similar a year or few ago where the Aussies had I recollect 4 steamers running along the track, recollect it was near Melbourne, Show that the Aussies know how to do it. Maybe it was the same tracks. Reckon we would have the H&S deadbeats banning it if it were even suggested here, never mind the bureaucracy that would need to be overcome, not a chance. Oh how I wish I was 25 years younger, Id be off like a shot,and join a lot more of the 'Rats' and leave the s{T]inking ship. Beeman

The grass is always greener? While the Maitland steam 'race' is a fantastic achievement in this day and age, it is unique in Australia. If you came to south Australia for example you could delight in the fact that we have no main line steam running at all. While not demeaning the efforts of the the hundreds of volunteers that keep steam running in Oz, the steam preservation movement here pales in comparison with what is on offer and has been achieved in the UK. I'd give up half a dozen parallel 'train chases' for a weekend on the GCR or SVR.

always thought the r707 loco was a really nice loco, reminds me of a britannia.

They were designed by VR and built by North British. But the SCOA-P wheels are uniquely Australian.

what were the double headded locos? they had a british look to me.

Victorian Railways D3 4-6-0 and K class 2-8-0, of 1903 and 1940 vintage respectively. The Dd family were heavily influenced by ex-Beyer Peacock designer Eugene Siepen. The K class carried on the VR styling of the era but mechanically borrowed from Baldwin designs.

wasnt so sure on the green loco when I was younger, looked a bit odd to me with the nose. but still just as impressive, can appreciate it moreso now, looks like it has bullied style wheels.

The 38s have Boxpok wheels, as did later batches of the VR K class. Bulleid Firth Brown wheels are a variation on these.

Cheers

David

Archived