Preview: Question – I would like to use my computer to operate my layout. How do I go about it?

Question - I would like to use my computer to operate my layout. How do I go about it?

Answer - Our "Starting Out with JMRI Panel Pro" course is the place to start. Aimed at those modellers who want to understand what is involved in operating your layout from a computer. Assuming no previous knowledge, this course takes you from first principles to drawing on screen control panels, controlling points, operating sensors and train block detection.

Pete, Brownlow, an expert in this field, will be running a structured practical course using a working 4mm layout “Missenden St Mary’s” with JMRI Panel Pro (Java Model Railway Interface), a free software package that you can download to your laptop.

At the end of this course, you will have learnt (by actually doing it on the layout), how to set up the operation to the level you want, how to design the panel on a laptop, point and signal operation.

Full details of the course content are on the Missenden Railway Modellers website here:

www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/JMRI.html.

The dates are the 19th -21st October 2018, and there are some places available. We have arranged additional residential accomodation nearby, as all the bedrooms in the Abbey have been taken.

This course is an introduction, there are also two follow on courses from MERG which take the basics onto more advanced signalling and automation, run by Pete Brownlow and Chris Noble. Details of those courses can be found here: www.merg.org.uk/merg_wiki/doku.php?id=public:courses

• Like 1