Hornby Class 87

charliepetty

The Legomanbiffo decoder is now ready, the options are after seeing the model:

Micro 8Pin + 23mm Speaker  (Fits in Hornby Hole)

Micro 8Pin + 2 X SugarCube Speakers (Just fits it a trimmed cab at each end)

Also Stone Faverley 'Working' pantographs are available but do not line up with the Hornby Insulators.

I presume the 23mm speaker is without any enclosure?

You cannot fit an enclosure as the design is really poor.  I have change my thought re the sugarcubes. I removed the switch underneath and put two sugarcubes there using the ESU Kits, the bigger the chamber the nicer the sound.

Charlie

I received mine at the weekend & was very pleased to see the kit has been tailored to the model.  :sungum:

The list of sounds on the latest version differs from those on the website. (eg Spirax valves are F15, not F8). I suspect this is because Biff has moved some sounds to standardise them.

I have not found some of the others yet...like Mk3 coach wail, but I know it will be there somewhere!

Any chance you could update the website please?

Edited by Pete the Elaner

On 18/09/2018 at 08:51, Pete the Elaner said:

I received mine at the weekend & was very pleased to see the kit has been tailored to the model.  :sungum:

The list of sounds on the latest version differs from those on the website. (eg Spirax valves are F15, not F8). I suspect this is because Biff has moved some sounds to standardise them.

I have not found some of the others yet...like Mk3 coach wail, but I know it will be there somewhere!

Any chance you could update the website please?

Oop's   Website corrected. 

Please beware that all Decoders come with a speaker, 'Unlike Zimo ' !!!   Charlie

F0 Directional Lights.

F1 Sound On/Off.(Pantograph Compressor to create air for pantograph: Then Pantograph up).  

F2 Playable High Note Horn.

F3 Playable Low Note Horn.

F4 Buffer Up (When Moving) & Coupling Hook (When Stationery).

F5 Manual Brake application (When moving)/ Brake Dump (When Stationery)

F6 Drivers door slam. (Now with three random slamming sounds)

F7 Main Compressor.  

F8 Not Used. 

F9 Automatic Flange/Wheel Squeel. (Speed Dependant)

F10 Guard/Station Staff Despatch Whistle.

F11 Guard to Driver 'Right of Way signal' Buzzer.

F12 Rheostatic Braking Fans.

F13 Air Sanders.  

F14 Neutral Section.

F15 Spirax Valves. (Air bleed popping when stationery)

F16 Mk3 Coach wail.

F17 Not Used.

F18 Track Detonators (Three Bang Stop) Different sounds depending on speed !!!!

F19 Aux 1 (Cab Lights if wired to work) Auto Fade Enabled.

F20 Aux 2

Edited by charliepetty
eror

No just joking, I still have to see the first diesel with a pantograph :no:

And I think for an electric loco the sound is pretty all right !

I got the joke and also thought the sounds spot on.  Is that with the "standard" 23mm speaker or have you used something else?  If the 23mm then they are really good.

I got the joke and also thought the sounds spot on.  Is that with the "standard" 23mm speaker or have you used something else?  If the 23mm then they are really good.

Hi Mark,

To be very honest I wouldn't have a clue what speaker has been installed.

I could check what speaker is inside by removing the body or have my well-skilled friend Tony to do it.

However I am pretty reluctant to remove a body from an unknown brandnew locomotive if it is not really necessary.

I have purchased this 87 from AJMRailways (Amanda Jane) and all I have asked her was to have Legomanbiffo sound installed.

She has outsourced that job to a company called Model Yard near her business in Yorkshire.

Because I have NOT asked Amanda for a specific speaker it may be very well possible that just the standard 23mm speaker has been installed !

If I get in touch with Amanda again I will ask her about the speaker however.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Mark,

I went through my email communication with Amanda and I saw she has mentioned the word "Sugar Cube" speaker.

I don't know what kind of speaker that might be and it still isn't sure if such a speaker has been installed in my 87 (see below).

If i find out more I will let you know.

"I use Model Yard to do my DCC work including not only installing but fully testing and have never had a returned loco once they have worked it.

They charge $80 for the work and this would include me supplying them with a Sugar Cube speaker where necessary"

I went through my email communication with Amanda and I saw she has mentioned the word "Sugar Cube" speaker.

I don't know what kind of speaker that might be and it still isn't sure if such a speaker has been installed in my 87 (see below).

If i find out more I will let you know.

See Charlie's opening post on this thread.

There is no space inside for a 23mm speaker. My kit came with a pair of sugarcubes.

See Charlie's opening post on this thread.

There is no space inside for a 23mm speaker. My kit came with a pair of sugarcubes.

In that case I presume my 87 should have a sugarcube or a pair of sugarcubes as well, but I will ask Amanda when I speak to her

The Legomanbiffo decoder is now ready, the options are after seeing the model:

Micro 8Pin + 2 X SugarCube Speakers (Just fits it a trimmed cab at each end)

Just out of interest, what sort of trimming is required and do they fit in without having to do any soldering?

Soldering is required.

The speakers have to be mounted so they are almost flush with the rear of the cab interior or else they will foul the drive system It is quite a tight squeeze inside.

I can see why Charlie has had a re-think & prefers to mount the speaker in the underframe.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• 3 weeks later...

Soldering is required.

The speakers have to be mounted so they are almost flush with the rear of the cab interior or else they will foul the drive system It is quite a tight squeeze inside.

I can see why Charlie has had a re-think & prefers to mount the speaker in the underframe.

I think they aren't in the under frame but under the PCB (Pretty sure that's what Biff told me at Milton Keynes show)

I did indeed put mine inside, stuck to the underside of the pcb above the bogie towers, but they are too quiet in there. Charlie put his in the underframe and they are louder but it’s more work to fit them. It’s very disappointing that we’re having to go to these lengths with a brand new model. My plan is to bin the Hornby PCB, mill space for a proper speaker and rewire the lights for proper control. Then in 2020 I’ve got some other stuff to do!

I did indeed put mine inside, stuck to the underside of the pcb above the bogie towers, but they are too quiet in there. Charlie put his in the underframe and they are louder but it’s more work to fit them. It’s very disappointing that we’re having to go to these lengths with a brand new model. My plan is to bin the Hornby PCB, mill space for a proper speaker and rewire the lights for proper control. Then in 2020 I’ve got some other stuff to do!

Lets hope the next AC Electric that arrives has space Biff?!

• 6 months later...

After chatting with Charlie at Railex I've had a go at fitting sound to my class 87. Its a pain in the neck to be honest and try as I might I couldn't get a sugarcube wedged inside the body (you could probably get a VERY small one in, but it would have to be small), so I black-tacked two of them to the underframe having removed the shroud that surrounds the day/night switch. One of them is just visible from the side when viewed at rail level (see pic) but it's not too noticeable. The chip (micro ESU & Legomanbiffo project) despite being tiny, is still too large to fit on top of the PCB, so its taped to the underside of the PCB above the cardan shaft and gear tower at one end. The wires from the speakers run up via the space in the chassis that houses one of the flywheels and thankfully there is a slot in the chassis that can accommodate the wires from the chip. 

Thankfully it sounds great, but no thanks to the design of the loco! The built in 'housing' for the speaker is a nonsense and the amount of grease knocking about in there would have killed any speaker I suspect - grease galore all over both gear towers and cardan shafts too, so a good clean was needed. That was after re-wiring multiple solder joints that broke despite careful handling (the wires to the motor had to break in order to lift the PCB away - no slack in them at all) and after much faff cinching down decoder wires on the surface of the PCD (there really is zero space, so you have to properly flatten everything own with tape) I was finally able to clip the body back on. 

Hopefully the above and pics may help others - much as I prefer to have speakers in the body shell to add a bit of bass/reverb, I can't see any way if getting all but the tiniest sugar cubes inside the body shell on this loco - and of course tiny speaker means 'tinny' sound. Short of milling the chassis I think this as good as I can do. Hornby really couldn't have made it more difficult to install sound to a loco! Anyway I'm glad I persevered because the Legomanbiffo sound project is awesome and two sugar cubes with speaker chambers as deep as possible without protruding below the chassis tanks sound a lot better than I was expecting. 

20190527_151633.jpg

20190527_151721.jpg

• Informative/Useful 3

• 11 months later...

I’ve just done the same with my 87. I put one sugar cube in between the boxes on the underframe but it sounded awful. I swapped the speaker for another one and it transformed it. I suspect I had somehow damaged the original speaker. After being very impressed I added a second sugar cube and my god it was loud! I had to turn it down quite a bit and it’s still very impressive. Thoroughly enjoying playing with this one!

cheers

shane

23 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I’ve just done the same with my 87. I put one sugar cube in between the boxes on the underframe but it sounded awful. I swapped the speaker for another one and it transformed it. I suspect I had somehow damaged the original speaker. After being very impressed I added a second sugar cube and my god it was loud! I had to turn it down quite a bit and it’s still very impressive. Thoroughly enjoying playing with this one!

cheers

shane

You 'MUST' cover up those speaker terminals, as you will end up distroying your decoder when they touch a higher track voltage or short them out.

Charlie (DCKits-Legomanbiffo)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1