Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Due to a very generous offer from a fellow modeller.....the current YOB build is paused until the post arrives from the UK....watch this space

Not paused again!

Oh well, another couple of weeks won't matter I suppose. Not ready to do mine yet anyway. I am intrigued to find out what their solution is. 

Paul

29 minutes ago, Joner said:

Not paused again!

Oh well, another couple of weeks won't matter I suppose. Not ready to do mine yet anyway. I am intrigued to find out what their solution is. 

Paul

shouldn’t be too long, but not sure what parts are coming so I don’t want to do something I’ll have to undo 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Used to love the Eastleigh open day as a kid. Funnily enough only today I came across a photo of 74s and 07s that my Dad took at one we went to.

My gran lived in Tunbridge Wells so we'd go past Hither Green on the way there. Used to look out for Slim Jims which were the very height of variety for a Southampton lad!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, the schools class has gone by the wayside, lost forever in the postal system, so we will have to look elsewhere for a steam special

Was it insured?

Paul R

11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

yes, I’ve received a full refund. So I’m not out of pocket, just disappointed

It did look a nice loco I have to say. How good are you with kits!

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 47606odin said:

never tried, I don’t have the relevant irons etc

A lot of the pro builders on here send their models away for painting. I certainly do far more weathering and finishing than building and never even started a layout.

I'm sure there are exceptions but not that many threads I can think of cover absolutely everything and I expect many of us migrate towards the aspect we enjoy most given it is, afterall, a hobby!

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

A lot of the pro builders on here send their models away for painting. I certainly do far more weathering and finishing than building and never even started a layout.

I'm sure there are exceptions but not that many threads I can think of cover absolutely everything and I expect many of us migrate towards the aspect we enjoy most given it is, afterall, a hobby!

They say a good paint job will hide a multitude of sins but I have always done my own. I am not perfect but I am happy with my results. I've even done my own lining with a bow pen but I prefer transfers! Methfix are in my opinion the best I have used but I have started buying Railtech although have not in fact used any yet. The BAA will be the first!

Paul R 

• Agree 1

I do keep looking, but if I did build a brass kit it would be steam locos and wagons. However in the meantime I have a depot to build, and a MM1 kit to make.....when I get round to it, although, I’m considering letting my 20’s go as I can’t get the transfers I need to convert them to 20901/904

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I do keep looking, but if I did build a brass kit it would be steam locos and wagons. However in the meantime I have a depot to build, and a MM1 kit to make.....when I get round to it, although, I’m considering letting my 20’s go as I can’t get the transfers I need to convert them to 20901/904

From what I've read, Railtec will make up transfers to what you need. I'm sure others would too. Drop them a email and find out. No harm in asking but they're probably really busy at the moment. 

Paul

7 hours ago, pwr said:

They say a good paint job will hide a multitude of sins but I have always done my own. I am not perfect but I am happy with my results. I've even done my own lining with a bow pen but I prefer transfers! Methfix are in my opinion the best I have used but I have started buying Railtech although have not in fact used any yet. The BAA will be the first!

Paul R 

Railtech are excellent transfers but some of the larger ones, in my experience, have tended to curl once in place. I use a wetted cotton bud and put reasonable pressure on one corner and work gradually over the transfer to get a good finish. I usually add a matt varnish fairly soon after too. 

Cheers 

4 hours ago, Joner said:

From what I've read, Railtec will make up transfers to what you need. I'm sure others would too. Drop them a email and find out. No harm in asking but they're probably really busy at the moment. 

Paul

Indeed, pretty much any loco number you like can be made via one of the (4mm) options below:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=4mm&theme=33

They're spot printed of course so there's no superfluous carrier film, and I also research photos of the loco in the specific livery being modelled to get the spacing as per the real thing, in addition to replicating any digits which may have been applied to the real thing at a slight angle. I'm not mad (honestly), just have a keen eye for detail!

42 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Railtech are excellent transfers but some of the larger ones, in my experience, have tended to curl once in place. I use a wetted cotton bud and put reasonable pressure on one corner and work gradually over the transfer to get a good finish. I usually add a matt varnish fairly soon after too. 

Cheers 

It depends how they're applied (and the surface onto which they are applied), although the print has evolved numerous times over the past few years to hopefully cater for as many permutations as possible of methods of application. A pack printed today will be different to the same pack printed 6 months ago, although it won't be noticeable to the naked eye. In fact I've enhanced the print again - particularly on larger numbers - only in February. In addition to the stream of new releases there's always constant tinkering and tweaking taking place behind the scenes.

7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

If it's specifically 901/904 you're looking for (in 4mm?) then is the below of any use for you? It's a renumber/rename pack with the 3d plates:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2920

It contains both styles of 20904 numbers, as it carried both during its career (and the numbers in that pack are traced from the real things).

Alternatively all 209nn weed killer loco numbers are already available:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2952

When I get the chance (!) there will be more added to the weed killing bits. I know I have at least one very long outstanding request to reproduce one of the much earlier liveries.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

Indeed, pretty much any loco number you like can be made via one of the (4mm) options below:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=4mm&theme=33

They're spot printed of course so there's no superfluous carrier film, and I also research photos of the loco in the specific livery being modelled to get the spacing as per the real thing, in addition to replicating any digits which may have been applied to the real thing at a slight angle. I'm not mad (honestly), just have a keen eye for detail!

It depends how they're applied (and the surface onto which they are applied), although the print has evolved numerous times over the past few years to hopefully cater for as many permutations as possible of methods of application. A pack printed today will be different to the same pack printed 6 months ago, although it won't be noticeable to the naked eye. In fact I've enhanced the print again - particularly on larger numbers - only in February. In addition to the stream of new releases there's always constant tinkering and tweaking taking place behind the scenes.

If it's specifically 901/904 you're looking for (in 4mm?) then is the below of any use for you? It's a renumber/rename pack with the 3d plates:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2920

It contains both styles of 20904 numbers, as it carried both during its career (and the numbers in that pack are traced from the real things).

Alternatively all 209nn weed killer loco numbers are already available:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2952

When I get the chance (!) there will be more added to the weed killing bits. I know I have at least one very long outstanding request to reproduce one of the much earlier liveries.

Hope this helps,

Steve

How about 7mm for this one?