Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

3 minutes ago, D6775 said:

I could but I think it was about 98' when they went up there. I think the issue is if I have one then I'll end up with 8. I've already got more 37's than planned and only half of them are ready for traffic!

Nice touch with the Engineers flashes on 022, always liked a DCE loco, usually pretty battered. 

it was in the end....battered by 33055 and 47455

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, D6775 said:

I could but I think it was about 98' when they went up there. I think the issue is if I have one then I'll end up with 8. I've already got more 37's than planned and only half of them are ready for traffic!

Nice touch with the Engineers flashes on 022, always liked a DCE loco, usually pretty battered. 

It was October 1999. 33030 and 33025 worked from Aberdeen until Feb 2001. Actually i remember it took a couple of months for the locos to get to Aberdeen from Motherwell. Somewhere around Dec 99.33019 was kept at Motherwell as a source of spares.  33109/33116 worked a railtour to Inverness in 1995 and Aberdeen 1996 Not much 33 action in Scotland before that.

Cheers

David

Edited by David Bell

41 minutes ago, David Bell said:

It was October 1999. 33030 and 33025 worked from Aberdeen until Feb 2001. Actually i remember it took a couple of months for the locos to get to Aberdeen from Motherwell. Somewhere around Dec 99.33019 was kept at Motherwell as a source of spares.  33109/33116 worked a railtour to Inverness in 1995 and Aberdeen 1996 Not much 33 action in Scotland before that.

Cheers

David

skirl of the (bag)pipes tour

18 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

skirl of the (bag)pipes tour

That's the one. Or should I say that's the two!

I remember 33030 and 33025 being quite the celebrity locomotives during their time in Aberdeenshire even though they were just tripping freight. I suppose we had long since seen the demise of our favourite 26's and 27's so these two 33's became a welcome substitute and something different from the usual 37's. It is a pity 33025 disgraced herself by catching fire on a trip to Elgin.

4 minutes ago, David Bell said:

That's the one. Or should I say that's the two!

I remember 33030 and 33025 being quite the celebrity locomotives during their time in Aberdeenshire even though they were just tripping freight. I suppose we had long since seen the demise of our favourite 26's and 27's so these two 33's became a welcome substitute and something different from the usual 37's. It is a pity 33025 disgraced herself by catching fire on a trip to Elgin.

lots  of rumours abound to why it caught fire, however, it was the end. Luckily there’s still a couple running around

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

lots  of rumours abound to why it caught fire, however, it was the end. Luckily there’s still a couple running around

Yes indeed. The 27's were prone to catching fire if they were thrashed. perhaps it was similar for the 33's. 

33/1's worked in Scotland in about 93/94 south of Glasgow. The closing sequences of Mission Impossible were filmed there using 33's and 2x 4TC sets. 

On the film i believe it has bedn computer enhanced to look like a Eurostar - albeit the single line and scenery gives it away. 

Cheers 

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Congratulation Ian, on getting the honour of having your pic of the 33 chosen for the header on the, O Gauge Home and Exhibition Layouts Facebook Site, Excellent mate.:good:

Have I? I better have a look, not been on FB this morning 

• Like 1

Now that 022/008 are ready for weathering and chips, attention has turned to the Heljan sector locos

removal of the sector logos, as the colours are very wrong, removal of the radio pods, still undecided after 008, whether to remove the headlights, but I should really, and some may consider it OCD, but I need to move the orange strip up 1mm to its correct place, which doesn’t sound much but creates a grey strip above the radiator. I must be mad, but there it is.

My other sector 33, I’m considering painting  it general grey as one of the early departmental locos

33099D95-F2F6-4028-AE56-CDDEA2E6E212.jpeg.fcf429e22ffb1691290eb422bd493a85.jpeg

Edited by 47606odin
Missing letter
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Now that 022/008 are ready for weathering and chips, attention has turned to the Heljan sector locos

removal of the sector logos, as the colours are very wrong, removal of the radio pods, still undecided after 008, whether to remove the headlights, but I should really, and some may consider it OCD, but I need to move the orange strip up 1mm to its correct place, which doesn’t sound much but creates a grey strip above the radiator. I must be mad, but there it is.

My other sector 33, I’m considering painting  it general grey as one of the early departmental locos

33099D95-F2F6-4028-AE56-CDDEA2E6E212.jpeg.fcf429e22ffb1691290eb422bd493a85.jpeg

Or you could buy another ha ha!

Paul R

33 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

How have you avoided big polished patches where the logos were?

it is slightly shiny where the logos were, the upper grey band has been touched in, and I may need to touch in the lower grey once I can mask the upper grey again

Hi Ian, Well done on getting into the mag. I am enjoying the influx of Cromptons 33008 is really looking good and the blue machines should look really good when they get weathered up. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1